Importing chips and related items even more difficult for DIYers

Hari Iyer

Post Covid-19 there has been a tremendous demand and supply gap for chips due to rapid demand in automotive and industrial sector. This has paved the need for close monitoring of chip consumption at all points (this includes DIY) to capture the demand to prevent shortages in short to medium term. Now there has been introduced a new process - Chip Import Monitoring System - which is mandatory to be filled up even for chip imports as low as 200/- to capture demand for chips. Now the catch is this requires an IEC number to login and enter the details which most DIYer like me wont have. This makes the import process even more time consuming and risky. I discovered this process only today when i have been asked by my shipper to fill this details. Now i dont have an IEC number and they asked me to enter the PAN number, but entering PAN number does not take me anywhere on the screen. Now i am in a fix as to what to do next.

FMs & DIYer - do not import chips in the immediate to short term until the chip shortage dilemma is ended. Hoping it to end by Dec 2023.

Thanks for looking.

Anyone with a PAN number can get IEC. Both individual and company. I had one but did not renew after 2021 as I had almost stopped buying stuff from abroad except on very rare occassions. in.element, Mouser, Digikey are some genuine online options one can choose to buy from abroad without any license.

Anyone with a PAN number can get IEC. Both individual and company.
Rules have changed. You require a Company incorporation certificate now. If providing an individual PAN, the individual needs to be the proprieter of a business.

Rules have changed. You require a Company incorporation certificate now. If providing an individual PAN, the individual needs to be the proprieter of a business.
Yes...there is no law or legislation to be a proprietor. The business can be in your name itself

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back