Impressions on - Genelec G3, Streamer (TBA), Subwoofer (TBA), Cables (TBA)

As finally I was able to spend some time with my office setup to clean up/wire manage & organise. Photos of the setup where I spend most of my time of the day during weekdays.
IMG_3120.JPG

The latest addition to my setup the "spotify frame" either sits here as in the photo or sits next to me where ever I am as music/wiim controller.

IMG_3123.JPG

The subwoofer is hidden under the desk, where it is kinda invisible and sounds fantastic :)

IMG_3124.JPG

A Nano Fish tank is ready to move in to the vicinity (you can see it on the extreme left) as my Shrimp + ramshorn/nerite snail Walstad tank with perhaps a few nano fish to balance the ecosystem. For those who are wondering if the tank may have a detrimental effect on the sound quality of the system. I have measured the output with a REW microphone, with the tank empty and filled and neither the mic, nor my ears pic up any difference. So I guess it should be fine.

The tourist season is at it's peak in GOA, as always I am requesting friends to bring their devices along "IF POSSIBLE" - for some A/B at my house in my setup.

So in the last couple weeks - I had the following -
1 - ARCAM CDS50 with around 10 CDs
2 - LUMIN U2 Mini - Transport

ARCAM CDS50 Vs RME ADI 2 FS - So CD player as a transport.
  • Mostly positive compared to the Wiim Pro + Spotify. Primarily instrument separation on Pearl Jam TEN album.
  • Output much cleaner at low volumes.
  • Very neutral sound, clean and enjoyable. No Fatigue.
ARCAM CDS50 - as an AIO - CDS50 to Subwoofer directly using XLR analog.
  • Warmer & Slight muddiness compared to the setup above.
  • More bass somehow compared to the setup above, not a positive.
  • Still better than Wiim Pro + Spotify.
LUMIN U2 Mini - Transport
  • If I am asked to pick the Lumin U2 Mini vs Wiim Pro in a blind test with RME ADI 2 DAC FS, I will never manage.
  • I connected Lumin on Optical with a Chord clearway optical cable & Wiim Pro with Coax from Chord to the RME - so I could shuffle between the two devices. I volume matched them to the best of my ability with average volume around 70DB.
  • Differences that did appear were song dependent, with no preference for either device. SO.

A test with Qobuz -
  • A physical CD had it's merits. Qobuz vs CD - I thought will be close to indiscernible - NOT really.

MY FINDINGS -
  • I was impressed by how good the physical CD was - specially in terms of instrument separation & clarity (on display during Black Dog - Led Zep IV) The cymbals hit different here - they shimmered. Again not saying that it was night and day but very apparent & enjoyable.
  • The difference between the two streamers with the same DAC was un-noticeable with Spotify & Qobuz.
  • Given the clear advantages of a CD over Spotify (atleast) - I still do not think I have the patience to go through the effort required. Moreover I am in love with the radio feature of streaming services. SO knowing I am listening to something definitely inferior (in Spotify), I will stick with streamers and HOPE & WAIT for a perfect streaming solution.
NEXT test an LP player - but it will be impossible to convince anyone to bring it along.

****DISCLAIMERS -
These tests were neither very scientific nor were they blind. So bias would have some role to play.

The tourist season is at it's peak in GOA, as always I am requesting friends to bring their devices along "IF POSSIBLE" - for some A/B at my house in my setup.

So in the last couple weeks - I had the following -
1 - ARCAM CDS50 with around 10 CDs
2 - LUMIN U2 Mini - Transport

ARCAM CDS50 Vs RME ADI 2 FS - So CD player as a transport.
  • Mostly positive compared to the Wiim Pro + Spotify. Primarily instrument separation on Pearl Jam TEN album.
  • Output much cleaner at low volumes.
  • Very neutral sound, clean and enjoyable. No Fatigue.
ARCAM CDS50 - as an AIO - CDS50 to Subwoofer directly using XLR analog.
  • Warmer & Slight muddiness compared to the setup above.
  • More bass somehow compared to the setup above, not a positive.
  • Still better than Wiim Pro + Spotify.
LUMIN U2 Mini - Transport
  • If I am asked to pick the Lumin U2 Mini vs Wiim Pro in a blind test with RME ADI 2 DAC FS, I will never manage.
  • I connected Lumin on Optical with a Chord clearway optical cable & Wiim Pro with Coax from Chord to the RME - so I could shuffle between the two devices. I volume matched them to the best of my ability with average volume around 70DB.
  • Differences that did appear were song dependent, with no preference for either device. SO.

A test with Qobuz -
  • A physical CD had it's merits. Qobuz vs CD - I thought will be close to indiscernible - NOT really.

MY FINDINGS -
  • I was impressed by how good the physical CD was - specially in terms of instrument separation & clarity (on display during Black Dog - Led Zep IV) The cymbals hit different here - they shimmered. Again not saying that it was night and day but very apparent & enjoyable.
  • The difference between the two streamers with the same DAC was un-noticeable with Spotify & Qobuz.
  • Given the clear advantages of a CD over Spotify (atleast) - I still do not think I have the patience to go through the effort required. Moreover I am in love with the radio feature of streaming services. SO knowing I am listening to something definitely inferior (in Spotify), I will stick with streamers and HOPE & WAIT for a perfect streaming solution.
NEXT test an LP player - but it will be impossible to convince anyone to bring it along.

****DISCLAIMERS -
These tests were neither very scientific nor were they blind. So bias would have some role to play.
Spotify has a slightly muddier sound compared to other streaming services such as Apple and TIdal. Dynamics and treble performance are discernibly superior in Apple. Unfortunately, you'll have to resort to a PC/Ipad for playback or the Fiio R7 / Eversolo A6 / A8.

Spotify has a slightly muddier sound compared to other streaming services such as Apple and TIdal. Dynamics and treble performance are discernibly superior in Apple. Unfortunately, you'll have to resort to a PC/Ipad for playback or the Fiio R7 / Eversolo A6 / A8.
I use my MacBook primarily to play music.

Can't get used to Apple Music UI, also I always find it bass heavy.

Waiting on Qobuz to steal Spotify UI :p

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back