Impressions on - Genelec G3, Streamer (TBA), Subwoofer (TBA), Cables (TBA)

Not an expert here, but your plan is fine. Also for the L&R by going RCA to XLR you are just paying for a cable that is not going to benefit you in any way - as the signal is still unbalanced. I would suggest go for a good RCA from the studio world like Mogami/Gotham and you will be fine. IMO.
Regarding a preamp for 2 channel, that is a fine idea. Yes can be done and will definitely benefit the SQ of the L/R and can be done easily - as far as I know. If you are into tubes, try a tube preamp - I auditioned a tube pre-amp with G3s and it sounds very different and pleasing. The SQ changes to something I can't describe, but no harm auditioning if you have that option.
RCA to XLR is my only option I guess considering my source/DAC aswell as AVR lacks XLR outputs.Am I missing something here.please let me know.

RCA to XLR is my only option I guess considering my source/DAC aswell as AVR lacks XLR outputs.Am I missing something here.please let me know.
Please ignore my previous comment, I thought you had G5, didn't realise you had 8050, which are XLR only. Yes RCA to XLR will work perfectly fine, no issues there.
Regarding the my previous comment, it was in context to G5, which have both XLR, RCA. So the point I was trying to make was if you got RCA, stick to RCA as XLR to RCA there will not be balanced and hence no real benefit.

An update here. The subwoofer seems to integrate better now, maybe due to burn-in of the sub or my ears.

The boominess is gone on most of the music I listen to except very few, where I believe could be some sort of artifacts in the copies I am listening to. Listening to bass heavy music, the bass is taut & snappy.

Lets see what happens after the RME is hooked up & PEQ is applied. Waiting on UMIK 1 to show up.

Chander I’m running 3x G3 and 2x g2 + sub in an ht configuration.

I’ve found that tweaking the dip switches first to compensate for the placement and then eqing them helped a lot in dialling it in perfectly.
Hi @captainsubtext - that is the actual plan, hence the RME is not in the chain yet & is sitting box packed. I am waiting for the UMIK to arrive, as then it will be easier to see the impact of the dip switches clearly. Right now, some songs sound great on one setting and others on other, so I thought it will perhaps be easier to analyse the response once I have visual data to see actually what the dip switches are doing.

Ears are being deceived currently :p

BTW - awesome setup!!!
Chander I’m running 3x G3 and 2x g2 + sub in an ht configuration.

Next step in this journey was a bit of measurement to understand what is going on. I did take a lot of measurements and after fiddling with a few dip switches the following is what I got.

Screenshot 2023-03-18 at 4.38.38 PM.png

With the little understanding & experience I have - this was the best measurement I got after fiddling with multiple permutations & combinations & in the end - the phase correction to 90 Deg from 0 & -6Db roll off on the sub is what was needed. The rest is pretty much as is.
**Also this is perhaps the best sounding as well - maybe biased by what I am seeing.

**Just here to pick your brains on -
1 - What am I looking at?
2 - Is there scope for making this better? FROM an educational point of view, I can always revert to this.

Thanks!

Last edited:
A couple more measurements with placement change -
This is a little more linearScreenshot 2023-03-18 at 6.06.50 PM.png

Comparison with the previous one -

Screenshot 2023-03-18 at 6.07.29 PM.png

Please note - these are with just the dip switches and some placement - I haven't yet incorporated the RME ADI 2 in there for equalisation. Where can I expect to incorporate some EQ looking at these graphs? Based on my memory - PURELY - the flatter it is getting the more I am liking it. :)

Please note - these are with just the dip switches and some placement - I haven't yet incorporated the RME ADI 2 in there for equalisation. Where can I expect to incorporate some EQ looking at these graphs? Based on my memory - PURELY - the flatter it is getting the more I am liking it. :)
Your FR graph looks decent. In fact, for home audio listening, this is ideal. A flatter FR is desired only in a studio setting for the mastering process and will sound bright, and not pretty!

A few things to note:
  1. An FR reading is useful to understand problem areas, and your graph looks fine.
  2. Smoothen the graph with 1/12, or at the bare minimum 1/6 for any meaningful depiction.
  3. A problematic peak can be tamed with your RME PEQ.
  4. Nulls or dips are suck-outs, and cannot, and shouldn't be attempted to be corrected with EQ, it'll overdrive your speaker and lead to distortion or damage. The only way to sort or nulls are via speaker placement or room treatment.
  5. A 5db variation in peaks and nulls is fairly acceptable for home audio.
  6. If you're genuinely enjoying what you're hearing at the moment then do not adjust any EQs. The slope which you've from 1k onwards is not only desirable, but ideal for a fatigue-free listening session.

Tip: use the capture button to save a screenshot of the graph.

Screenshot 2023-03-18 at 6.06.50 PM.jpg

A question here regarding USB audio on RME ADI 2 DAC FS. On auto source, it doesn't pick up by default. You have to shift to USB.
Another issue - this is more of a question regarding a monitor -
I have a Benq Mobiuz with EX3210U 4 downstream USB ports. I was hoping that it also pushes audio through those USB ports. So the idea was to connect Xbox to HDMI and use USB audio to push to RME -
1 - do monitors support audio out by default on their USB
2 - do I need some strange settings for RME to auto detect audio from monitor.

A question here regarding USB audio on RME ADI 2 DAC FS. On auto source, it doesn't pick up by default. You have to shift to USB.
If the RME is detecting a live Coaxial or optical signal, it'll prioritise those connections over USB. You'll have to pause the music/signal over the other connections for it to revert to USB.

To ensure that switching is set to auto, press the coax/opt/usb button on the remote a couple of times till the screen on the RME confirms it is on auto select.

Thanks @DB1989 - I have a situation where each input is being used for something or the other :p
COAX - CXN V2
Optical - HDMI audio splitter from Xbox series S
USB - Laptop to monitor to USB - for youtube primarily :p

I could alternatively - use the CXN V2 as an input aggregator :p, but shuffling inputs on RME is way easier than on CXN.

Thanks @DB1989 - I have a situation where each input is being used for something or the other :p
COAX - CXN V2
Optical - HDMI audio splitter from Xbox series S
USB - Laptop to monitor to USB - for youtube primarily :p
Likewise. What I'm saying is, even if all inputs are connected, the RME will autoswitch to USB, provided there's nothing playing on the devices connected to coax and optical.
I could alternatively - use the CXN V2 as an input aggregator :p, but shuffling inputs on RME is way easier than on CXN.
It's the Scheisse!

Had been busy the last couple months! So had almost no time playing with the setup here!

In the recent updates - the CXN is gone, a new Wiim Pro has come in - purely for other people's convenience (more on that later).

While my personal preferred setup has moved to Mac Book Air M1 USB to RME ADI 2 DAC FS.

I did multiple back & forth with MAC M1 to other things streamers & DACs. I couldn't really tell if the differences that I was hearing were for better or worse, differences did exist though.

In the past few months - the RME has earned a lot of respect in my setup. Please note during this time, I had the pleasure to host a CHORD DAVE in my house; In my setup!

NOW - I am not going to stir the hornets nest by pushing the scale one way or another, but all I am going to say is - with whatever I can hear & whatever I understand about music & whatever little I know about critical listening, & given the limitations of my setup - I would say RME does a lot for it's price - IN MY SETUP. With M1 being the source at all times, I think I am sticking with the RME for a while to come as far as we talk about the DAC. Maybe with a Tube DAC for different flavour.

***All impressions being completely subjective.

Had been busy the last couple months! So had almost no time playing with the setup here!

In the recent updates - the CXN is gone, a new Wiim Pro has come in - purely for other people's convenience (more on that later).

While my personal preferred setup has moved to Mac Book Air M1 USB to RME ADI 2 DAC FS.

I did multiple back & forth with MAC M1 to other things streamers & DACs. I couldn't really tell if the differences that I was hearing were for better or worse, differences did exist though.

In the past few months - the RME has earned a lot of respect in my setup. Please note during this time, I had the pleasure to host a CHORD DAVE in my house; In my setup!

NOW - I am not going to stir the hornets nest by pushing the scale one way or another, but all I am going to say is - with whatever I can hear & whatever I understand about music & whatever little I know about critical listening, & given the limitations of my setup - I would say RME does a lot for it's price - IN MY SETUP. With M1 being the source at all times, I think I am sticking with the RME for a while to come as far as we talk about the DAC. Maybe with a Tube DAC for different flavour.

***All impressions being completely subjective.
I am playing with Genelec 8050 b and find that there is not much difference in sound based on the front end(in my case between a Marantz NA8005 DAC and Yamaha RX V6 A AVR)

I am playing with Genelec 8050 b and find that there is not much difference in sound based on the front end(in my case between a Marantz NA8005 DAC and Yamaha RX V6 A AVR)
Are you saying that with the change of source the differences are minimal or nonexistent?

Yes I am finding that there is not much difference to change in source/preamp. There are small differences maybe.

I agree with you there.
The differences are minimal or non-existent in MOST cases. But somethings do appear as apparently different.

For example, the difference between the NODE 2i & CXN V2 were very apparent. The only thing I have been successfully able to pick up in a blind test yet :)

There were a few others that did something different but not incredibly different. As I also mentioned in my second post of this thread, that even while auditioning I couldn't really tell a lot of difference between various streamer DACs in various price categories, hence I ended up picking the CXN V2 instead of the big money challengers.

Right now in my setup I am shuffling between the following as sources.
1 - Rpi + Hifiberry with Moode
2 - M1 Air USB out (slightly lower output)
3 - Wiim Pro Coax Out
******The DAC being RME

I can not tell the differences enough to justify the purchase of one or another.

Just experimented with Yamaha WXC 50 & Wiim Pro. No difference to my ears at all either thru RME or directly to G3s. I can convince myself of the differences, but I can't decidedly hear them and I will definitely fail a blind test.

In my book however that is a very good thing! Saves a bunch of money experimenting :)

Thanks!

I agree with you there.
The differences are minimal or non-existent in MOST cases. But somethings do appear as apparently different.

For example, the difference between the NODE 2i & CXN V2 were very apparent. The only thing I have been successfully able to pick up in a blind test yet :)

There were a few others that did something different but not incredibly different. As I also mentioned in my second post of this thread, that even while auditioning I couldn't really tell a lot of difference between various streamer DACs in various price categories, hence I ended up picking the CXN V2 instead of the big money challengers.

Right now in my setup I am shuffling between the following as sources.
1 - Rpi + Hifiberry with Moode
2 - M1 Air USB out (slightly lower output)
3 - Wiim Pro Coax Out
******The DAC being RME

I can not tell the differences enough to justify the purchase of one or another.

Just experimented with Yamaha WXC 50 & Wiim Pro. No difference to my ears at all either thru RME or directly to G3s. I can convince myself of the differences, but I can't decidedly hear them and I will definitely fail a blind test.

In my book however that is a very good thing! Saves a bunch of money experimenting :)

Thanks!
I was thinking of trying a highend preamp. I asked someone else who use 8050b and he thinks there won't be any difference. He suggested getting a Lyndorf with room correction and thinks will make a huge difference.

I was thinking of trying a highend preamp. I asked someone else who use 8050b and he thinks there won't be any difference. He suggested getting a Lyndorf with room correction and thinks will make a huge difference.
I would tend to agree with him. At this point I am not sure if there is any way to confirm what makes a difference if at all with the Genelecs. So I would perhaps stay away from experimenting putting in more money. I would suggest if you have friends or family who are able to lend you products you can atleast get to experience various products - it will make your decision easier! I have been doing the same.

Thanks!

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back