Impressions : QUAD S1

Got the foam pads today.... The SQ has greatly improved. It has become more open, bass has better definition instrument separation also improved...
I should have got them much before. Anyways thanks a lot to @chander
Given the significant improvement in fidelity, one would expect manufacturers to include these foam pads in the box. The improvement isn't subtle. Anyone can put in a paperback under the speakers and hear the improvement for themselves. The pads and isoacoustic stands do an even better job.

The Iso stands can raise the height a bit too much, in that case the foampads are a better option.

Given the significant improvement in fidelity, one would expect manufacturers to include these foam pads in the box. The improvement isn't subtle. Anyone can put in a paperback under the speakers and hear the improvement for themselves. The pads and isoacoustic stands do an even better job.

The Iso stands can raise the height a bit too much, in that case the foampads are a better option.
I agree with all that you said. Many people use speakers keeping them on cabinets etc and then wonder why they are not getting the wow moment though they have spent a good amount on the speakers...
It's my first hand experience...
I feel Frequent upgrades (or the so called itch)can be avoided if speakers are placed optimally and foam pads or stands are used. I had been missing so much of musicality all these years...

Cabinets are specially an issue, tables are still better in comparison. If you have a cabinet with a large internal volume with empty space available they start resonating the bass a bit. Which makes the speakers sound wrong, it impacts everything, but it impacts the mid range the most in my experience.

I had given my Quad 12l2 to my BIL and these were placed on a custom wide table. They were sounding horrible. I had them place it on rubber pads but that too did not do much to improve the sound. It was sounding very different from when they were on stands at my place.

These pads would have made a difference for sure.

Cabinets are specially an issue, tables are still better in comparison. If you have a cabinet with a large internal volume with empty space available they start resonating the bass a bit. Which makes the speakers sound wrong, it impacts everything, but it impacts the mid range the most in my experience.
True.
My speakers were kept on a cabinet as described and they always sounded so underwhelming that I felt a cheaper active system would have given me more listening pleasures...

I had given my Quad 12l2 to my BIL and these were placed on a custom wide table. They were sounding horrible. I had them place it on rubber pads but that too did not do much to improve the sound. It was sounding very different from when they were on stands at my place.

These pads would have made a difference for sure.
So are they still on rubber pads??

So are they still on rubber pads??
No. My BIL doesn't appreciate good sound. He is more of a V Curve fan. So I took back my speakers and am using them as surround on pads.

He is using a sound bar and is happy with them.

No. My BIL doesn't appreciate good sound. He is more of a V Curve fan. So I took back my speakers and am using them as surround on pads.

He is using a sound bar and is happy with them.
Frankly speaking I too have a BIL with similar tastes...

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back