Improved treble on turntable

rajis141

Hi members,
I would like to share my experience with the kind of improvement i noticed on my turntable with just a little money.
I am an ordinary music lover who does not have expensive gear to talk about and have been listening to vinyl for almost 35 odd years now.
In my journey of love for music, initially in my younger days i used to listen with the Bass and treble controls to the max and slowly and steadily started to acknowledge the sound of pure music without the tone controls.
I recently purchased the Norge 2060 and also the Akai AP 307 direct drive turntable.
This turntable is a very good but underrated turntable. I had some problems with this TT because I think the previous owner had manhandled it. This forum and other forums helped me resolve the issue.
After this I observed that the TT was delivering sound which was good but maybe had a high frequency roll off.
I suspected my hearing which is now not as good as my younger days.
After going through various forums to find out if other members also had this kind of experience, I came across several indications that a LACK table from IKEA improves the treble!!
Initially I thought that this might be just not possible but then being from Hyderabad, thought why not give it a try.
Purchased one and tried it just yesterday and was amazed to find that it did improve the high frequency response.
In particular would like to mention when i heard Mere naina Sawan Bhadon - Lata version, the sound of the Ghungroo was missing before using the Lack table but was observed when the TT was kept on this table with the entire other chain of equipment the same.
I know that there are expensive options for Isolation etc but for Rs 500/- only which I paid for this table, it was well worth it.
I wanted to share this so that if any member has the same observation with their turntable they can give it a try since this a very cheap option to improve the sound of your TT.

Regards

Hi members,
I would like to share my experience with the kind of improvement i noticed on my turntable with just a little money.
I am an ordinary music lover who does not have expensive gear to talk about and have been listening to vinyl for almost 35 odd years now.
In my journey of love for music, initially in my younger days i used to listen with the Bass and treble controls to the max and slowly and steadily started to acknowledge the sound of pure music without the tone controls.
I recently purchased the Norge 2060 and also the Akai AP 307 direct drive turntable.
This turntable is a very good but underrated turntable. I had some problems with this TT because I think the previous owner had manhandled it. This forum and other forums helped me resolve the issue.
After this I observed that the TT was delivering sound which was good but maybe had a high frequency roll off.
I suspected my hearing which is now not as good as my younger days.
After going through various forums to find out if other members also had this kind of experience, I came across several indications that a LACK table from IKEA improves the treble!!
Initially I thought that this might be just not possible but then being from Hyderabad, thought why not give it a try.
Purchased one and tried it just yesterday and was amazed to find that it did improve the high frequency response.
In particular would like to mention when i heard Mere naina Sawan Bhadon - Lata version, the sound of the Ghungroo was missing before using the Lack table but was observed when the TT was kept on this table with the entire other chain of equipment the same.
I know that there are expensive options for Isolation etc but for Rs 500/- only which I paid for this table, it was well worth it.
I wanted to share this so that if any member has the same observation with their turntable they can give it a try since this a very cheap option to improve the sound of your TT.

Regards

Sir please be kind enough to post some photos.

Also elaborate how was the turntable placed before and placed now.

Another method of "tuning" the tonal response of your TT is to vary VTA provided your arm allows it. This is most effective if your stylus has advanced geometries, but not too effective if it's spherical/conical.

Another method of "tuning" the tonal response of your TT is to vary VTA provided your arm allows it. This is most effective if your stylus has advanced geometries, but not too effective if it's spherical/conical.
Sir please be kind enough to post some photos.

Also elaborate how was the turntable placed before and placed now.
Surely. May do it next week.

Very well said sir. Unfortunately this TT does not have a tonearm adjustment. It has a arm lifter adjustment which is not helpful at all since it is OK. I did try to the best of my ability to find out if I could alter the VTA but with my cartridge, headshell and tonearm it was not possible.

As per the request of @kbhuvi here are the pictures:
The Rack is the one where the TT was before the Lack table
The brown and the white tables are both Lack tables.
The white one is for 500 rupees only. This white one is also used to prepare a Rack by some DIY enthusiasts. You can check out there are some articles on forums +videos as well on youtube.

Regards

Attachments

• IMG-20190211-WA0008.jpg
    IMG-20190211-WA0008.jpg
    114 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG-20190211-WA0009.jpg
    IMG-20190211-WA0009.jpg
    133 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG-20190211-WA0010.jpg
    IMG-20190211-WA0010.jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG-20190211-WA0011.jpg
    IMG-20190211-WA0011.jpg
    122.6 KB · Views: 39
Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back