Improving the Garrard 301 performance

kuruvilajacob

I was talking to a close friend who is very knowledgeable about Hi-end Vintage Turntables why my Garrard 301 is not performing as well as it used to especially when I compare it to the newly acquired EMT 938, He suggested that I clean the motor parts and re lubricate them. I did clean the motor which has not been opened for 50 years or more. I normally get these done for most of my vintage Turntables except those which are risky to open. But my Garrard was bought from a single owner who had used it very carefully. I used Singer original oil to lube the motor though some other oils were also suggested but I trusted the singer oil bought from their authorized shop. After the cleaning , the TT has become very very silent and I can immediately see the slam and authority much better than it used to be. For the time, it is kept in my bedroom as I want to use it regularly for some days for the motor bearings to get used to the freedom it has got after the lubrication. The amount of muck that was removed was a sight to see. It has a brown rusty colour and I suggest that all 301/401 owners to try this if they have a competent person to do it and you will immediately feel the difference in it;s performance

Attachments

• 189.jpg
    189.jpg
    12.1 KB · Views: 155
Last edited:
Agree. Regular lubrication by putting a few drops of oil (Singer is perfectly suitable) through the three holes in the eddy current disc is a must. Dismantling the motor and cleaning it out is something that not everybody might attempt. However, an easier method (as I used) is to remove only the lower clamshell (after releasing the bottom three springs, and removing the two bolts), spray the insides with WD40 whilst simultaneously twiddling the motor spindle to dislodge any dirt residue. Once the WD40 drains off, or evaporates, a few drops of oil applied to the rotor and the lower bearing, and you are good to go. That motor will be fine for another 50 years.

I would suggest that all old turntables if left unused for several years and is now being used can benefit by some lubing and cleaning of the motor and bearing for better performance. It is better to avoid this on motors of Thorens and AR which are not easy to open up.

I would suggest that all old turntables if left unused for several years and is now being used can benefit by some lubing and cleaning of the motor and bearing for better performance. It is better to avoid this on motors of Thorens and AR which are not easy to open up.

Would this be easy and beneficial for Dual TTs?

Which model of Dual ? Some of the Dual motors are prone to break down. I think the outer casing tends to rust and motor also stops working. I have seen this in some their belt drives. This happens when they are left unused for many years. I presume this happens because the motors may not be made for our conditions. I have at least 4 such models. I have seen that the motors of their heavier models like 1009,1229 and even 505 do not have this problem. Perhaps, this may due to the material used for making the motor of these models are different

I ask particularly about models like 1019 and the likes. These were idler wheels. Also, what could be the implications of using a 110V model of a 1019 in India? Do the required step down transformers impact the SQ?

I do not think the motors of Dual 1019 or 1229 need overhauling unless there is excessive heat generation while playing. Some companies show on the label 50/60Hz while some models of 110v show only 60 Hz cycle. In the latter case I think there will be an impact. But I am not sure. So please check with someone who has working knowledge on this.

I ask particularly about models like 1019 and the likes. These were idler wheels. Also, what could be the implications of using a 110V model of a 1019 in India? Do the required step down transformers impact the SQ?

Dual 1219/1229 motors can be wired for 220v or 110V. The service
manual shows it clearly. I expect 1019 etc should allow the same, but
you can verify directly from the service manual (vinylengine).

You can use the 110V wiring configuration, but with a proper step down transformer.
If you use a good quality step down transformer, and keep it away from the TT, it should not matter.

However, you will definitely need to use the proper 50Hz pulley,
because the AC motor speed is linked to the mains frequency.

Dual motors also need to be lubricated. Process is similar to
that for the Garrard motors, but opening the dual motor (at least
the 1229) and putting it back properly can be a bit tricky (ask how
I know :) ).

Back