Improving the sonic quality of a Stereo setup - Room equalization vs Tweaking

ie if we do suppress any 50Hz fundamental the subsequent harmonics would be subdued but since there is no room support to boost the harmonics may be lower and effect the tone and timbre.

Right, but the idea is to suppress frequencies that are sounding louder than they ought to be. All you are really doing by cutting down the peaks is restoring balance, in a way. So, what you fear will not happen.

Well here is my story. I sit in a small nook in my daughters bedroom. And irrespective of what I try, it sounds just terrible.

I can't go all out to treat the room, as I have to keep my growing up daughters feminine tastes happy too.

So EQ is the only option I have. Planned to go give it a try this vacation, as I already use roon, have a umik-1 Mike too. So trying rew and setting up peq filters is what the doctor ordered I guess.

Also plan to add some pink coloured absorbers to treat first reflection points. But Iam not sure how effective that will be.

and if its really bad the sequence would be treatment and EQ as a last resort. But yes treatments are not that easy.

It always is really bad, given the city / apartment relatively small, acoustically asymmetrical, low ceiling man cave/ listening room.

And yes DRC will be step 3, following careful positioning and appropriate treatment.

Fortunately getting it broadly right is easy. Improvements on that can be measured and managed by most. Perfectly, ofc needs skills and experience that does not come quick, cheap easy (or over WiFi ;)). The last being a confession disclaimer, if it were necessary.

Like with all crises recognizing that there is one and that there are solutions that work is a big part of what it takes to sort things out.

Ciao
GR

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back