In India imported Hi Fi equipment is OVER PRICED .. TRUE OR FALSE ??

there are exceptions - the Allo Boss DAC is available in india for 3.4K, while internationally its $65, which is more than that.
Now the Allo Boss is an amazing DAC, and at that price, slays much pricier competition - even at its international price,
But in this forum, you'll see most people running after videshi DAC's - even chinese dac's.

This is the other side of the coin. Even if an indian company puts its money where its mouth is, and brings out a best in class product, Most of us would rather pay a premium for a foreign product. Even in the past, companies like Akai, Philips, Sanyo etc, had invested in local production, but most of us were running after "made in japan" and "made in germany" products. I am not expecting people to buy an inferior product because its indian. But most people want imported stuff, and pay more for it, and ignore local products, then you get what you deserve.

Whining about why Foreign companies wont cut their profits or why the indian govt won't lower taxes is sheer hypocrisy IMO.

View attachment 44148View attachment 44149
What to buy thats india made and has premium audio quality?? Which company??

Inspired by this thread, I have started a new thread in the AV forum named ‘Indian Hi-fi Equipment/Accessories comparable with best in class international products’.

It can become a single repository where we all could list down Indian Hi-fi equipment or accessories (either designed and/or manufactured in India) which we have (preferably) owned or heard and are convinced they are world class products in similar or higher price range. This could showcase (and motivate) Indian hi-fi brands as well as provide a ready reckoner for forum members and readers to find quality Indian products at affordable prices.

Kindly visit and populate the thread with the Indian brands you have had a good experience with.

Same headphonezone sells schiit also. Why doesnt it have same pricing in india as in US ? Same goes for many products on headphonezone. Only chord product prices can be conpared why not all others? No one is saint here. Its a mixup of distributors importers and manufacturers.
Headphone zone is the distributor of Chord Electronics in India. As far as I've heard, being an official dealer, Chord does not allow them to give away discounts, When I was in the market to purchase my Hugo 2, the MRP was $2695 in the US, and an equivalent £1800 in the UK. HPZ sold it for Rs.1.69L, which at the time, I felt to be reasonable. Still they seldom give out offers and discounts like EOY sales etc which most dealers abroad give out on a regular basis. So, IMHO, HPZ does swindle the customer, but they pretend to not do so.

Mass market audio products and electronics in India are at par and often cheaper than western prices these days.

Pricing and discounts are primarily driven by volumes .. You can see a clear example in hifi with UK hifi prices often being lower than the US - which is exactly the opposite for pretty much everything else..
Primarily because UK still has a thriving market for hifi separates unlike the US ..

As for India, extremely few people buy hifi separates - A typical high street JBL dealer will sell a 1000 boomboxes before he can move 1 Control-one pair even though both are not priced too differently.. SO he is going to keep the bookshelves on backorder with no incentive to discount 'em..

+ to @rikhav 's point: whatever small market exists is now fragmented across various brands
Valid observation.
Mass brands are very competitive.
Hifi seperates is not the culture here.In 70s -90s I think cosmic/bevox/sonodyne/Woodstock/enbee/philips/norge ran its peak demand course for 20yrs I guess.Asiad delhi launched color Tv .Tv adoption became aspirational for most folks and then mobile and headphones were adopted by the next gen !
So it's a very small market.For a moment If you look at this market wearing the entertainment lens then hifi seperates is competing for attention with online media ,mobiles,headphones and TVs.
Last 20+ years I have come across very few personal and professional friends who even mention hifi.
Most of them have two TVs atleast and not gone beyond a mass market HT available.Most of them have mass market headphones !

Last edited:
Imported amps are overprice due to the parts choice and tolerances. Audio equipments requires precession parts. So building a high quality amp cost is higher also.
I use to build HiFi s for 22 years long. Having thousands of build beast rocking all over India. I have faced parts availability and price requirements face to face. I usually build using imported parts , but sometimes ( most of the times ) I need to build low cost equipments also. And found a huge difference of audio quality between two.
Usually a complex build requires more preceision but sound quality depends on build matetials. Most of the times a simple circuits sounds lustrous than a complex build.
More the filter worse the sound. When there is only one device between the source and listener the miracles happens ( like a trans amp or single ended amp ).

Happy Listening

I just had an interesting conversation with a dealer in Chennai. I will not name the dealer, yet. I was looking for an MJ Acoustics Pro 50 subwoofer and inquired with them. Got a quote for 97,000 and he sweetened the deal by mentioning that it includes gst :) I thought it was a typo, and sent him a screenshot of a 'new' mj pro 50 @ £254. He replied back that the unit in the screenshot is 20 yrs old and that he had quoted the price for mj pro mkiii and not the old one. He also mentioned that he cannot compete with that £254 price.

I said, fair enough, and sent him a screenshot of the MJ Acoustics Pro MKiii @ £549 and told him that he cannot compete with this price as well.

Just like you all have highlighted I understand there is govt duty, shipping, stocking and dealer margins, but, paying double the price? It's not about 'affordability', the question is about paying double the price for a product that's valued at only £549. People that want to pay double/triple are going to pay and buyers like us that look for value (heck, every guy in developed markets look for value as well) will be getting ludicrous replies from dealers like them.

------
Rant proposal: I'd say, if the forum allows, we should call out dealers like these along with the prices. I know this will get dirty - but they have to be 'tamed' virtually.
------

I see dealers like HPZ being pulled in and named 'unreasonable'. I disagree. Yes, there's about a 30% markup in their prices, but heck, I get the same warranty period. I have bought gears with 3-yr warranties and replaced items several times during this period - and they honored that without questions (there's a cost in this as well). I agree they can do with better discounts and loyalty programs, but at this point, I'd be asking too much from them, if I compare with the other hifi dealers.

My benchmark for prices: Crutchfield or richersounds. For example, I was looking at the price for JBL A120P sub in India at 37k and compared with Crutchfield.

I did similar comparisons when I bought the Cambridge Audio SR10 from a dealer in Chennai and the GoldenEar AON3 bookshelves from a dealer in Mumbai. We should call them out too and give them kudos, alongside the 'rant proposal'.

Anyways, the reason for this long post is because I got pissed off seeing the haughty response from the dealer. If you want to see similar responses, you may Google 'mj acoustics pro 50 Chennai', and write to that dealer.

I just had an interesting conversation with a dealer in Chennai. I will not name the dealer, yet. I was looking for an MJ Acoustics Pro 50 subwoofer and inquired with them. Got a quote for 97,000 and he sweetened the deal by mentioning that it includes gst :) I thought it was a typo, and sent him a screenshot of a 'new' mj pro 50 @ £254. He replied back that the unit in the screenshot is 20 yrs old and that he had quoted the price for mj pro mkiii and not the old one. He also mentioned that he cannot compete with that £254 price.

I said, fair enough, and sent him a screenshot of the MJ Acoustics Pro MKiii @ £549 and told him that he cannot compete with this price as well.

Just like you all have highlighted I understand there is govt duty, shipping, stocking and dealer margins, but, paying double the price? It's not about 'affordability', the question is about paying double the price for a product that's valued at only £549. People that want to pay double/triple are going to pay and buyers like us that look for value (heck, every guy in developed markets look for value as well) will be getting ludicrous replies from dealers like them.

------
Rant proposal: I'd say, if the forum allows, we should call out dealers like these along with the prices. I know this will get dirty - but they have to be 'tamed' virtually.
------

I see dealers like HPZ being pulled in and named 'unreasonable'. I disagree. Yes, there's about a 30% markup in their prices, but heck, I get the same warranty period. I have bought gears with 3-yr warranties and replaced items several times during this period - and they honored that without questions (there's a cost in this as well). I agree they can do with better discounts and loyalty programs, but at this point, I'd be asking too much from them, if I compare with the other hifi dealers.

My benchmark for prices: Crutchfield or richersounds. For example, I was looking at the price for JBL A120P sub in India at 37k and compared with Crutchfield.

I did similar comparisons when I bought the Cambridge Audio SR10 from a dealer in Chennai and the GoldenEar AON3 bookshelves from a dealer in Mumbai. We should call them out too and give them kudos, alongside the 'rant proposal'.

Anyways, the reason for this long post is because I got pissed off seeing the haughty response from the dealer. If you want to see similar responses, you may Google 'mj acoustics pro 50 Chennai', and write to that dealer.

Only buy direct from the distributor unless your sure your local dealer will support you. Most dealers are brokers. Take your money then place the order and eat a fat margin. Worst way of doing business. Go straight to the distributor. If your serious he will give you a fare price. Target price is not one rupee above UK or US retail unless the company is a direct to order company selling via an Indian distributor like Schiit audio etc. Buy from direct established distributors so you know they won't pack up shop tomorrow. There is 0 value being added by more people in the chain except for a very few dealers who are knowledgeable, have a proper setup, offer sensible pricing and support you by fighting with the distributor or company if there is a product problem.

How much profit one should make is a contentious issue. More dealers and distributors can bring down prices. But I dont think there is much large market for Stereo Hifi System. Home Theater probably has more. In a capitalist system things come to where they are automatically. If there would have been a market lots of people could have opened shops. Now for Stereo Hifi System most people need auditions and personally check products. (touch and caress them :p). That requires showrooms and shops. that too medium to large size. and also Preferably in or near by town. This costs money, Rent or ownershipwise. Then you have to keep basic stock to show to the interested client. some of which may not sell. hugh Logistics probably are also involved.
Easiest way would be decide on budget. go to dealer or other see if one can get discount. Even I would love to have an Accuphase. (After audition ofcourse) But if it is not in my budget or someone in india is having large profit margin which I dont like or importing also makes it expensive. What can one do ? Get something else. My extreme personal opinion is we pay for the Brand, Aesthetics, minor SQ differences which only oneself hears and after sales service which may not be required.

Time has come now, post corona HIMART ,also deal with used AV GEAR site FOR resale and service suport with appropriate sales after service and emi options.All major dealers and distributors should service AV gears without asking original bill and they also should allow exchange of old products at reasonable price .AV industry has to make new strategies in India if they want to survive like renting of RECEIVERS,SPEAKERS,PROJECTORS ,ONSITE DEMOS ,Renting of AV gears on weekly ,monthly basis ,onsite preventive maintenance of tv,receivers ,speakers etc . I mean they have to come out of modern ,posh showrooms and give better service in terms of onsite maintenance,demos and even up-gradation to higher end models,specially online health monitoring of high end AV gears ,sending alerts to mobile of customers,informing about various finance scheme for purchase of AV GEARS ETC.

9 years back I bought the Aviano 6 speakers for 39K / pair and when checked the import data the declared price was 5K INR only. For comparison I had found that a Merc B Class was imported for mere 5 Lakhs INR only back then. The import data in some cases is undervalued for getting lower taxes which is of the order of upto 40% in some cases depending on the HS code of the item is what I had observed. Even then dealer and retailer keeps very high margin in selling them to us. This is the reason why many still prefer to import 100 volt items as even after legal duty they are still cheaper. As for service, in many big cities we nowadays have knowledgeable folks who can import original parts and repair them.

How much profit one should make is a contentious issue. More dealers and distributors can bring down prices. But I dont think there is much large market for Stereo Hifi System. Home Theater probably has more. In a capitalist system things come to where they are automatically. If there would have been a market lots of people could have opened shops. Now for Stereo Hifi System most people need auditions and personally check products. (touch and caress them :p). That requires showrooms and shops. that too medium to large size. and also Preferably in or near by town. This costs money, Rent or ownershipwise. Then you have to keep basic stock to show to the interested client. some of which may not sell. hugh Logistics probably are also involved.
Easiest way would be decide on budget. go to dealer or other see if one can get discount. Even I would love to have an Accuphase. (After audition ofcourse) But if it is not in my budget or someone in india is having large profit margin which I dont like or importing also makes it expensive. What can one do ? Get something else. My extreme personal opinion is we pay for the Brand, Aesthetics, minor SQ differences which only oneself hears and after sales service which may not be required.

This applies to most showrooms. There is always a cost. Does that mean they have to give it to us at 100%+ cost to run their shops? Thank god, not all distributors/dealers think this way. This view is looking at the bottom line. As a business, they must look at the topline. The bottom line will be automatically fed through.

------
------

I see one for 22k in Chennai olx

I see one for 22k in Chennai olx
Yeah, that's sold out before I spotted that ad. If the person that posted there had consulted with this 'aforementioned' hifi dealer, he'd have quoted 60k for the used piece. Lucky new owner that scooped that sub.

This applies to most showrooms. There is always a cost. Does that mean they have to give it to us at 100%+ cost to run their shops? Thank god, not all distributors/dealers think this way. This view is looking at the bottom line. As a business, they must look at the topline. The bottom line will be automatically fed through.
OK

Btw, I was on a spree today. A few months ago, one of my friends asked me about the IOTAVX availability in Chennai (he's from Madurai) and I totally missed checking that. Now that I remembered, I dug out one other dealer in Chennai South and asked the price. As you may know, there are 2 components - IOTAVX SA3 integrated amp and the IOTAVX PA3 power amp. Both are about 45w/ch rms and they can be bridged to pump out 100w/ch rms. Their prices? SA3 is £399 and PA3 is £299 = total £700 (65k INR). How much did the dealer quote? 1.2 lacs. Shipping + duties + storage + real estate + margins, it is!

Btw, I was on a spree today. A few months ago, one of my friends asked me about the IOTAVX availability in Chennai (he's from Madurai) and I totally missed checking that. Now that I remembered, I dug out one other dealer in Chennai South and asked the price. As you may know, there are 2 components - IOTAVX SA3 integrated amp and the IOTAVX PA3 power amp. Both are about 45w/ch rms and they can be bridged to pump out 100w/ch rms. Their prices? SA3 is £399 and PA3 is £299 = total £700 (65k INR). How much did the dealer quote? 1.2 lacs. Shipping + duties + storage + real estate + margins, it is!

If you sir down with your cheque book he will discount it. Don't expect the first price to be the best price. If your serious to buy it you will get it close to a 110 or so multiplier on the UK rate. If the company is a small company that sells direct then they don't have that much margin so then expect about 90 to 95k for this set. That's why headphonezone sells schiit audio at a 20 percent markup which I feel is fair.

Only buy direct from the distributor unless your sure your local dealer will support you. Most dealers are brokers. Take your money then place the order and eat a fat margin. Worst way of doing business. Go straight to the distributor. If your serious he will give you a fare price. Target price is not one rupee above UK or US retail unless the company is a direct to order company selling via an Indian distributor like Schiit audio etc. Buy from direct established distributors so you know they won't pack up shop tomorrow. There is 0 value being added by more people in the chain except for a very few dealers who are knowledgeable, have a proper setup, offer sensible pricing and support you by fighting with the distributor or company if there is a product problem.

who’s the klipsch distributor in India? Any ideas anyone

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back