In India imported Hi Fi equipment is OVER PRICED .. TRUE OR FALSE ??

Vivek, while I agree with most of what you said, nobody is forcing anyone into retailing or distributing HiFi. If sending children to a foreign university is the aim, maybe arms dealing is a better bet or opening a chemist shop (super margins, no haggling at all).. Like any other business, the onus is on them to market the product and reach out to as many people as they can.. If people like your prices or brand value or product looks, you are in business else look for another business.. My problem is with distributors ranting and whining that there is no market and justifying higher prices when some others are able to keep prices reasonable for the same stuff... In the end, customers have the choice to pay or not pay unjustified prices...

Tradera (Sweden) and others through local eBay listings in respective countries. You can look them through hifishark.com

Audiogon, Hifishark & Usaudiomart sites are not shipping the pre-owned products directly to India. Is there any good Parcel forwarding service exists which handles customs as well...? There was Borderlinx doing the same but it was shutdown. Any good alternatives...?

Audiogon, Hifishark & Usaudiomart sites are not shipping the pre-owned products directly to India. Is there any good Parcel forwarding service exists which handles customs as well...? There was Borderlinx doing the same but it was shutdown. Any good alternatives...?

through these websites you contact the individuals selling the stuff. Convince them to ship it to India. 2/10 people will take the pains and do it. I don’t know if any parcel fwd service which has a good track record.

Vivek, while I agree with most of what you said, nobody is forcing anyone into retailing or distributing HiFi. If sending children to a foreign university is the aim, maybe arms dealing is a better bet or opening a chemist shop (super margins, no haggling at all).. Like any other business, the onus is on them to market the product and reach out to as many people as they can.. If people like your prices or brand value or product looks, you are in business else look for another business.. My problem is with distributors ranting and whining that there is no market and justifying higher prices when some others are able to keep prices reasonable for the same stuff... In the end, customers have the choice to pay or not pay unjustified prices...
Fair point - all I am saying is that to curse them is easy, but it is possibly not easy being a dealer in India.

A lot perhaps also depends on the manufacturer (margins vary)? I don’t know this business at all.

But I do hope more Indians buy hifi and learn to appreciate it. The number of small brands overseas is amazing - yes I have also read and re read Valvet amp reviews!!

Dealing in arms? Hahahaha! Sending children abroad is a typical upper middle class aspiration. You can substitute with one foreign holiday every couple of years, or even a decent hifi system ;)

Be careful while trying to buy and bring used (pre-owned items), there is an Anti-Dumping duty applied (some times). Better to check and confirm with someone who has done it earlier. If there is no service center for that product in India, you may end up sending it back when service is required.

As long as Focal was sold by ProFX, its price was in pair with the international price (in fact, cheaper than US price), but then, as soon as the distributor changed, the price increased by more than 40%. At that time I was planning to purchase Focal Electra 1028Be, which was around 4Lakh MRP, but as soon as the distributor changed, the price jumped to close to 6Lakh and there fore, I dropped my plan of purchasing any Focal products.
If one distributer can sell a product for 4L and find profit in it, the 40% hike by the new distributor is unacceptable.

hey, Me looking for Focal Electra 1038 BE too. Do you have the contacts of the distributor?

Hello ,
The Hifi market is definitely over priced. Huge Customs + Shipping costs .
What we have lacking in addition is indigenous manufactures.
Hifi gears is still considered as a luxury and is really surprising in the sense as India creates a huge inventory of music every year .
The electronics for basic and robust Amps and Speakers is not complicated but the market is more mass marker oriented rather than finesse and quality . AVR's require research and is understandable but same can be integrated and a product built by using Raspberry Pi etc as foundation is definitely doable .
I always see American makers , many of them are internet direct as source of inspiration . We have so much talent and brains. Please need some people to chip in with their excellent design ideas .

Music is not a luxury anymore , it is a spiritual journey . I hope all understand that . Dont know but do get enticed almost all the times to become a DIY manufacturer although its not my field but know its not complicated at all.
Eg : In India a preamp costs as attached. However an emotiva Pre amp is just about $300 and a 7.1 is just $600 . This is no rocket science .
Thanks - naj

Attachments

• Preamp.PNG
    Preamp.PNG
    38.7 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:
Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back