In search of audio setup that gives goosebumps, yet inxpencive

prajith25

Hi Experts, I am new to this world and am in search of a good audio setup.

Current Setup:
I have a CA 650A integrated amp + MS Aviano1 speakers + Q acoustics 2000 Speaker Stand + Normal Audio Cables and interconnects. I am planning to add a CD player to complete a basic setup.
Room Size: 9*15

My Expectation:
I am not too happy with the current setup. I feel the music is not engaging. What I feel now is some good sounding instruments but they dont give the pleasure of pure music as a whole.
I am by no means an audiophile but I have listened to music that instantly attracts me. And that is my benchmark. Eg, I have Klipsh S4 earphones and am very happy with that. Even the songs I dint like earlier sounds good to me in that.

Music Preference:
I listen to almost all type of music. However I listen to lot of country music and other slow songs. I also love listening to R&B at times.

Education expected from experts:
I know that there have been lots discussed about this and what I am looking for is specific to what I have. I also understand that each of us will have their own liking that may not be good for the other. So what I am looking for is advice as per your liking and what you think is good. So that I can shortlist the recommendation and audition them before I buy.

Questions:
I would like to know if I am expecting too much. Does this require expensive components?
What are the recommended changes required in my current setup? Why?
I am thinking of buying Maranz 5004 (Amp + CD player combo) and sell CA650A.
Is it advisable to sell 60W amp and buy 35W amp?
What difference does this Watt make to the end result?
Should I retain CA amp and go for just CD player? Will it make music engaging?
Should I always look for the same brand while matching Amp and CDP?
What is the best budget Amp + CDP combo according to you?

I can spend max 15K more to make the required changes. I am fine with used products. No plans to get a DAC or any additional device.

Is it advisable to sell 60W amp and buy 35W amp?

No it is not. More watt amp means it has lesser distortion at same volume level (although that is not that straight forward, it is safely true in this case). Also, more muscles help the speaker to shine in the mid/bass region.

1. Change the Aviano 1 and upgrade to something like Aviano 2. Bigger mid/bass driver will give better response over the entire mid spectrum. Aviano 2 goes very well with CA Amps.

2. Get yourself a good source. CD5004 is not bad. You can look for a used one.

3. Get better cables and interconnects.

Should I always look for the same brand while matching Amp and CDP?
No. There is no theory like that.

Last edited:
If it is not too difficult, put some anti reflecting elements behind you and hear if you are getting sound better to your liking for one day. Like keeping a mattress standing behind you while listening to music, just for an hour (when nobody is at home).

If sounds seems clearer, bass seems tighter, you may do not want to upgrade system, but do some basic room treatment. I believe you placed speakers in front of the 9 ft wall. Try listening the same song sitting quite close to the speakers.

Last edited:
Thanks Sumanta. Let me try speaker placement and some room treatmet. But then, that will be only to know if changes the sound. But the major problem is to convince my wife :)

Kousik's suggestion is right.

I thought CA 550 A (one level lower than your 650 A) was meant for Aviano 2 and 650 A was meant for driving Aviano 6. Considering that CA amps are factory matched with MS Aviano series you can take your amp to shops selling Aviano-s and see the result for yourself and make sure to carry your klipsh ear phone to make A/B comparison.

GeorgeO has hit the nail on the head
till you dont hear - you want know what you like

i have considered the cambridge avaino a ""dry" combination
this is probably what you are experiencing as well

Tubes will be more engaging - but thats a differnt path altogether - and you would need to change your speaker too
you need to hear to decide

i think vortex has a good tube amp on sale
Jaibir has some other lovely stuff on sale as well inthe speaker and AMP dept

please dont go about changing cables expecting magic
they do work - but cannot transform what your expereinceing

i would change the amp and speakers

Decide a path
sold state or tubes

then buy a speaker
then look for an amp

what you have thought of doing may also work
get a maratz - see if that satisfies you with your aviano ( i have y doubts though )
marantz is generally a safe bet ( you can get it to match most other speakers )

howver if engaging is what your looking for
you must hear tubes before you decide anything

Last edited:
Hi Experts, I am new to this world and am in search of a good audio setup.

Current Setup:
I have a CA 650A integrated amp + MS Aviano1 speakers + Q acoustics 2000 Speaker Stand + Normal Audio Cables and interconnects. I am planning to add a CD player to complete a basic setup.
Room Size: 9*15

Did I miss it ? I did not see your music source in the above list or how you are playing it?

CA Amp and Avianos match very well and I do not see any reason to think of changing them till you bring in the other components also to the same level. You can decide after adding a good CD player.

Tubes will be more engaging - but thats a differnt path altogether - and you would need to change your speaker too
you need to hear to decide

Thanks Magma. Can you let me know what will be the cost of a decent tube amp in India? any place in Bangalore where I can audition one? (Except Audio Planet)

I have a normal Philips DVD player at the moment and that is why I want to add one to the setup.

Change that DVD player before even touching any component in the setup. A philips dvdp will never give you goosebump no matter how hi-end you go with your rest of the component in the chain. Get yourself a decent cd player and see things will change considerably. Marantz CD63 or 67SE in good shape will do wonders.

Prajith

If you can wait for a month we hope to have some valve amps gear to be auditioned here in Bangalore, hopefully on April 28.Check the thread in the AV lounge. You will get info about cost and specifications, as well as hear how they sound.

How much? Well it's like asking what a Maruti or Hyundai costs? Which model?

Prajith

If you can wait for a month we hope to have some valve amps gear to be auditioned here in Bangalore, hopefully on April 28. QUOTE]

Hi George, thanks for the info. May I know the apx price range of a decent valve amps? If its expencive then I may not go for it.

Thanks Koushik, I am thinking of the same. There is a used CA CD5 for sale. Is it good?

No idea Prajith. I haven't heard it.

But when I googled, I found that they don't have any digital out. So, in future if you ever think to upgrade and run a external DAC, you won't be able to do that with this CDP.

BTW, where did you find the CDP for sale?

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back