In-Wall Speakers

Dinesh Menon

I request guidance from our expert FMs on the possibility of building bookshelf speakers with 2- way In-Wall Speaker pair.
Is that a good proposition ?

But I don't intend to install them "in wall".
So will it be as good if installed in a custom built speaker box?
If you're someone who primarily enjoys music through speakers, then go for it. However, if you're someone who listens to speakers more than music, this may not be the best choice. This is because the crossover is specifically designed for in-wall application as stated earlier. But, no harm in trying, you might be in for a pleasant surprise

Whether the in-wall speaker is mounted flush within a wall or housed in a closed box, it feels the same to me. If the box lacks a port, it should function as a "portable wall."
Mind you, I'm no speaker expert.

If you're someone who primarily enjoys music through speakers, then go for it. However, if you're someone who listens to speakers more than music, this may not be the best choice. This is because the crossover is specifically designed for in-wall application as stated earlier. But, no harm in trying, you might be in for a pleasant surprise
I understood the complexity, couldn't find any reviews by someone trying the same.
So it will be a blind test.

Whether the in-wall speaker is mounted flush within a wall or housed in a closed box, it feels the same to me. If the box lacks a port, it should function as a "portable wall."
Mind you, I'm no speaker expert.
I got it, wooden box replicating the cement cavity.
I'll have to approach someone who's
into custom speaker building.

I am not a loudspeaker expert but from my practical experience I can tell you for sure that the journey is very different from that of indulging in components like turntables, amplifiers, cd players, tape decks, etc. If you make online references for loudspeaker reviews, you will generally come across 2 broad perspectives - (1) notes from reviewers who audition or own various loudspeakers and write about them based on what their personal definition of what good sound is all about and (2) the more technical folks who enjoy graphs and patterns, debate about conventions and theories, love lab tests, etc.

What I've come to understand is to first ascertain a few aspects - what kind of music do you listen to (single genre or listening dominated by a genre or on the other hand multiple genres), the size and shape of your listening space, the type of amplification that you use. Then there are the aesthetic factors and the budget factors as well. Then there is the factory-manufactured vs DIY (not home brewed but professionally built speakers) debate. One aspect considered by a few is the concert experience vs the arm-chair experience.

Once you have these identified, then set out to listen to a few speakers and ascertain if your preferred attributes are met. Listen first, then read the theory and reviews. Not the other way round (unlike with other components where it makes sense to read up reviews, ownership experiences, etc first and then indulge)

You will never know where your journey ends but may be pleasantly surprised at the end of it. Personally, I tried many brands like B&W, JBL, Technics, Klipsch, KEF, Polk Audio, JAMO, Onkyo, etc and ended up with a pair of humble BPL 700TM floor standers which sounded good to my ears. I am absolutely sure that irrespective of the brand or choice of implementation, your speakers of choice will sound good to you as well :). All the very best!

I see a lot of BT speakers have passive radiators. It allows them to get louder despite small size. Some have two radiators opposite to each other as well to good effect. Wonder why we don’t see them as yet in bookshelf speakers! Or are there any?

I see a lot of BT speakers have passive radiators. It allows them to get louder despite small size. Some have two radiators opposite to each other as well to good effect. Wonder why we don’t see them as yet in bookshelf speakers! Or are there any?
There's Sonodyne Malhar with 2 passive radiators. I've posted about it in our forum. I've read about many bookshelf speakers and floor standing speakers with passive radiators. All of them are passive ones.I picked up one which meet your preferences:

Last edited:
I am not a loudspeaker expert but from my practical experience I can tell you for sure that the journey is very different from that of indulging in components like turntables, amplifiers, cd players, tape decks, etc. If you make online references for loudspeaker reviews, you will generally come across 2 broad perspectives - (1) notes from reviewers who audition or own various loudspeakers and write about them based on what their personal definition of what good sound is all about and (2) the more technical folks who enjoy graphs and patterns, debate about conventions and theories, love lab tests, etc.

What I've come to understand is to first ascertain a few aspects - what kind of music do you listen to (single genre or listening dominated by a genre or on the other hand multiple genres), the size and shape of your listening space, the type of amplification that you use. Then there are the aesthetic factors and the budget factors as well. Then there is the factory-manufactured vs DIY (not home brewed but professionally built speakers) debate. One aspect considered by a few is the concert experience vs the arm-chair experience.

Once you have these identified, then set out to listen to a few speakers and ascertain if your preferred attributes are met. Listen first, then read the theory and reviews. Not the other way round (unlike with other components where it makes sense to read up reviews, ownership experiences, etc first and then indulge)

You will never know where your journey ends but may be pleasantly surprised at the end of it. Personally, I tried many brands like B&W, JBL, Technics, Klipsch, KEF, Polk Audio, JAMO, Onkyo, etc and ended up with a pair of humble BPL 700TM floor standers which sounded good to my ears. I am absolutely sure that irrespective of the brand or choice of implementation, your speakers of choice will sound good to you as well :). All the very best!
Thanks for your guidance.
I abandoned that idea to go with that In-Wall Speaker project.
I've experienced BPL sound. One of my friend had a BPL TV and a BPL music system which were amazing. When I went to buy one, BPL had stopped production. I purchased the Samsung "World Best" TV.
Years later I got a BPL 2 in1- Black Pearl,
a small system with detachable speakers.
It had that signature BPL sound.

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back