Indian Folk Music

The Manganiyar Seduction by Roysten Abel is very enchanting for me.

I have it both on CD and LP

Please give them a chance and listen to the whole album before you choose to retain them or look for something else.

Great share! What a tremendous performance!!

A Bengali singer singing a catchy Nepali folk song reggae style. Music unites.

Nice catchy tune but unfortunately not the original folk tune.

I really want this thread to showcase pure traditional folk tunes minus the flash.
Unfortunately Youtube is plagued with "fusion" music.

Nice thread sir ..

Listen to below video..
This guy 'Preet Bandre' has composed Koli folk song in his own style without destroying authenticity...

Growing up in Rajasthan, I have been exposed to various folk styles of singing. I am sharing some Rajasthani folk songs sung by Late Munshi Khan. Although saxophone has been used in the songs but to me the instrument blends in well without questioning the music.

Last edited by a moderator:
Have a listen to this folks.

Its called Airel Buzz. Its like a very low budget version of Coke Studio, based in Bangladesh.

Some really enjoyable modern renditions of Folk / Baul / Rabindra sangeet.

Coke Studio by definition is "fusion" music. Nice but not folk music. The Coke Studio playbook is to use folk blended with pop/rock which is nice in that it has given exposure to traditional music to a younger audience and vice versa.

As I see it, music falls into three primary categories:
- Classical
- Folk, and
- Pop

Thereafter, we have fusion of two or three of these producing a myriad of genres and sub-genres.

I agree with Nikhil that while pop-folk fusion contributes to bringing crossover audiences to folk music, this thread could focus more on raw folk music and performers than their pop adaptations. In fact, there’s another thread on Indian Fusion started again by Nikhil that can be a nice counterpoint to this one.

I‘d also like to highlight here the ‘De Kulture’ label which has been relentlessly bringing well-recorded classical music especially from north and west India to us.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, what a lovely thread, please do listen Ustad Farid Ayaz and Ustad Abu Muhammad they are qawwals from Pakistan.
Some geniuses have recorded their sessions in room setting with multiple mics, and the way it goes it makes you feel like you are experiencing it in front of you. I dont know, but 7-9 people with their devoted riyaz voice alaaping at the same time just gives me goosebumps when I listen those recordings.
The YouTube channel is 'The Dream Journey'
And some renditions which i personally love are
Mosay naina mat morna
Bajuband khul khul jaye
Mere banne ki baat na poocho
And ae ri sakhi morey khwaja ghar aaye.

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back