Info required on Onkyo HT S6200

ubose

Hi,

greetings to all from this new member !

I am interested in buying the Onkyo HT 6200 HTiB system. I have just a working knowledge of home theater systems, so a few questions right away :

1. This one does not have video upscaling from DTH/DVD video to 1020p. Does video upscaling make a lot of difference to picture quality ? FYI, I have a 42" TV and Tata-Sky at home and am happy with the DTH/DVD quality I get, but I am curious.

2. Does this system have a USB stick connectivity and what all media formats can the AVR play ?

3. I had an audition today at Modern World , Bangalore, and it looked quite impressive for movies. Any pros or cons of this system for playing movies . Also does the equalizer do a good job of calibrating the speakers based on room size . My drawing room does not have wall on one side and the rear , so will it work well in such topology ?

4. Modern World was quoting 49K for this as an offer. What is the best price any one has got in Bangalore for this ?

5. Lastly , is this worth buying ? My budget is upto 50K and am interested in only HTiB systems (being new to this etc.)

Thanks a lot !

Ujjal

greetings to all from this new member !

I am interested in buying the Onkyo HT 6200 HTiB system. I have just a working knowledge of home theater systems, so a few questions right away :

1. This one does not have video upscaling from DTH/DVD video to 1020p. Does video upscaling make a lot of difference to picture quality ? FYI, I have a 42" TV and Tata-Sky at home and am happy with the DTH/DVD quality I get, but I am curious.

Yeah, this version of HTIB does not have upscaling. The earlier version 6100 had. I have Onkyo 706 with upscaling and didn't notice any significant change in PQ. I arrived at this conclusion after with discussing with several ppl here on this forum and experiencing myself.

2. Does this system have a USB stick connectivity and what all media formats can the AVR play ?
No there is no USB on this, you can use the USB support that u might have on your DVD player. 6200 comes with ipod dock so if you have an ipod u can probably use it with this HTIB.

3. I had an audition today at Modern World , Bangalore, and it looked quite impressive for movies. Any pros or cons of this system for playing movies . Also does the equalizer do a good job of calibrating the speakers based on room size . My drawing room does not have wall on one side and the rear , so will it work well in such topology ?
Onkyo Amps have Audyssey equalization which does a good job while calibrating and you can always change the setting manually. Since you room does not have rear wall you can go for mounting stands which you have to buy separately.

4. Modern World was quoting 49K for this as an offer. What is the best price any one has got in Bangalore for this ?

This is the same price that even I got. You can bargain for less. I have seen posts in this forum where the price quoted was around 44k. So depends on how well you can bargain. You probably ask for other things like cables.

5. Lastly , is this worth buying ? My budget is upto 50K and am interested in only HTiB systems (being new to this etc.)

Is it worth buying ... it all depends on whether you liked what you heard. The earlier model 6100 has got really good reviews. See the review on amazon.com. This is 7.1 system and comes with pro logic IIz ... which happens to be Dolby's newest format. If you are looking just for HTIB your options are limited.You can also try in Yamaha but currently only 5.1 is available I guess. But if you go for separates you options are wide open. Talk to people in this forum before you buy, there are very good experts here in this forum who can give you valuable advice.

Last edited:
I am in a similar situation - evaluating HT6200 and others.

I do have an old set of speakers, so I am considering going for separate AV receiver and upgrading the speakers later. The HTIB speakers are generally considered to be of inferior quality, anyway. Any one know what is the equivalent Onkyo receiver - i.e, having the same feature set as the HT6200's receiver?

-kumar

Back