Initial impressions for chord carnival silver screen cable

amit11

Hi Friends,

Posting my initial impressions on the speaker cable "Chord carnival silver screen".

Due to shift in the placement of my amplifier, there arose a need to buy another speaker cable due to increase in distance. I could have purchased extra length of my previous brand (local brand) cable and attached with the old cable to increase the full length, or could have again bought the same brand in full length. However i thought to buy a branded cable this time, even though a little expensive than the local brand. Had read reviews on the net and finally bought this cable. The cable length is 7 + 7 metres.

These are just the initial impressions and I think i will wait further for the burn-in. Similar reviews may be found on net, but still thought of posting my personal impressions.

a) Overall, I did not like the sound. It sounded little fatiguing. The overall tonal balance somehow disappointed me. I think I will have to wait for burn-in.
b) Bass was more and tighter compared to my previous local brand cable. Low volume bass notes which were unheard before could be heard this time.
c) Highs were more pronounced and I could feel ear fatigue. Due to the pronounced highs, presence was there but at the same time the clarity in overall tonality suffered.
d) The mids / vocals were more clear. The overall clarity in mids was a plus point. The nuances in the vocals by the singers were easily heard, rather felt I could say. Example song "Kahan se aaye badra". Not to say that I never hard such nuances with my previous cable, but this time the nuances were a step further clearer with the added weight.
e) While singing and changing to next sentence, sometimes there is a shortness of breath which slightly affects the start of the subsequence sentence. This could be felt/identified sometimes.
f) The physical feel of the cable is little hard, i mean slightly tough to bend. It is around 1 cm thick and due to the thickness gives in impression of hi-fi. This is 15 AWG whereas my previous cable was 14 awg but the overall thickness was less due to lesser insulation/covering and shielding.

I am just hoping that after some burn-in the negatives settle down else I will have to buy my old cable once again or shift to another brand.

Thanks for reading...

Regards,
Amit.

I'm still unsure about cable burn in so will not comment on that. But, it would be really helpful in evaluating your findings if you could also do the following:
1. Place your speakers back in the earlier position with the new cable and relay your experience.
2. Tell us what your associated equipment is and what is the source quality of your music.

Speakers are in the same old place. Only the amplifier position shifted from floor to wall cavity.

Speakers are Tannoy mercury v4i with yamaha as500.
Source is flac/mp3 files played via ipad to wifi router to apple airport express to optical spdif to schiit modi dac to amp.

Also check the connection flow of the cable from Amp. to speaker. The brand name printed on the cable should be towards the speaker end.

Regards

Further impressions after 3 days (around 8 hours of burn in).

My initial disappointment has reduced. I have started liking the presentation. (touch wood).

Midrange / vocals are exceptionally beautiful. Nuances in singing aremore prominent. The stressed and relaxed voice of the singer can be felt. The breathng, the pauses, vocal pressure, vocal graininess - all can be felt this time.
Top end has sparkle.
Bass notes clarity increased. Controlled bass.
Presentation is more open.
Low volume tonal balance is also good and maintained.
Guitar plucking can be felt instead of just heard. Similar for piano key hits.
Wind instruments sound organic.
Bass guitar notes more controlled and crisp.

Some songs which i used to hear only for the first few seconds, now listened full.
Overall involvement in the song is increased.

Allow it to play and don't start making critical judgement yet. You can do serious listening after 50 odd hours.

As per the manufacturer's advice, while connecting the cable, the printed brand name on the cable should flow towards the speaker and not towards the amplifier. Pls check that also. For cable burning( if so) leave it overnight playing some CDs with repeat mode on ( with mild mild volume) for few days.

Rgds

Last edited:
Direction seems to be ok. Waiting for more burn in...but yes sounding better then the first impressions...

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back