Interest Check: Full day carpentry workshop in Bangalore

thatguy

Greetings everyone.

I was at the Bosch office today morning and ended up talking to the manager of their power tools training division. Apparently, they offer training on using Bosch power tools and was quite receptive when I asked him if he is willing to conduct a full day session on woodworking tools. He is looking at a class of at least six to justify a full day session. This is hands-on training and the participant is expected to do some real work during the session.

And it is free. He showed me around the lab and it is decently equipped. Most types of hand tools, a few table saws, lots of miter saws, no CNC. I saw quite a few samples of work done by students of previous classes.

So whats the catch. They can only do it on working day and he needs a few weeks of lead time. So if do decide to do it, it will be some time in August.

I was wondering if FMs would be interested in attending the workshop. If there is sufficient interest, I could talk to the manager about it.

Again, before jumping on, please remember that it can only be a working day and we may not have much choice in selecting the date. We just have to find an opening in their schedule and grab it.

Last edited:
Is such a facility available only in Bangalore? How about cities like Chennai, Hyderabad, Mumbai and Delhi etc.

I visited their training center so I know there is one in Bangalore. In fact they have a room dedicated to DIY promotion, though their idea of DIY is more in line with (US style) home improvement than speaker building.

Don't know about other cities. They have a large factory in Bangalore and this center is attached to it.

I will ask him when I talk to him next time.

Hey thatguy,

Wonderful initiative. Please count me in. I'm missing the Bangalore DIY meet. I'd like to come for this at least. If it happens soon, I might pull along my carpenter whom we are entrusting our GRR speakers.

I am game too. Never expected something like this existed. I guess for all the Bosch tools that I have bought finally I will get something back....:yahoo:

Any day intimated in advance will be fine by me....

@thatguy Thanks for the initiative

Last edited:
thatguy,
Do they have a link where we can know more about Bosch's workshop?

Don't know Santosh. It all happened so suddenly, I didn't get to ask him too many questions. From what I gathered, the training is organized around tools (I guess their primary target is dealers). His style of was more like, "We can cover circular saw, jig saw and dremel in a 3-4 hours, router is an advanced skill and we usually don't encourage new people." When I tried to explain speaker building, he seemed lost. My guess would that the training will be geared more towards explaining how to use the tools. It will be up to us to figure out how to use that for a task.

Lets shoot for 10 confirmations. Hopefully quickly. I want to talk to him and fix a date before he forgets about our conversations :)

I am interested, particularly in Dremel tools. Give me enough time to book tickets and a place to stay.

Cheers

Stock taking:

Confirmations from Bangalore (Eight including me):
-----------------------------------------------
Santhosh
soulforged
gopib
gobble
cmsajith
buswal
George

Confirmations from folks not from Bangalore (Two):
------------------------------------------
Capt Rajesh
Venkat

Tentative (Two):
---------

doors666
josephjohnt

I guess we have the quorum. How does the second week of August sound (6-10th)? I would avoid the next week because of Independence day. If 6-10th doesn't work (either for anyone here or for Bosch), shall I ask for the week starting 20th?

I am planning to call him on Tuesday.

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back