Interesting Thread in HUG - How deep should my speaker go?

Came across this intersting thread while going through the Harbeth User Group...intersting concept with a practical approach by Alan Shaw
[/URL]
It isn't just this thread, the entire forum is a great place for the thinking rational audiophile.
Alan is the owner of Harbeth, and also the designer. He participates regularly in the forum. All posts are pre moderated, so the forum is a little slow, which isn't a bad thing necessarily!
As with all user forums, this one too breeds cult behaviour, but if that is kept in mind, it is a very useful place to read about all aspects of audio, not just speakers.
Alan is one of a rare breed. He is quite happy to admit that Harbeth Special Edition speakers, using OFC wiring and expensive veneers are made only because there is a market demand for these, and not for SQ reasons. He is equally honest in saying that the latest model of any speaker he makes is only an evolutionary iteration of a model line that goes back thirty or more years and buying to upgrade from one iteration to the next does not make sense in most cases, unless you have money to spend.
A cynic may say that this is also a subtle form of marketing, but that doesn't take anything away from the immensely useful audio system knowledge base that resides in HUG.
Highly recommended.

Thanks for the link to the thread and the forum. Interesting.

Yes, on my headphones, I could hear some of that very low-pass deep bass content fairly well. Well enough to conclude that I might miss it if it wasn't in the music --- but, other than deep, deep solo organ notes, it usually does not stand alone, but contributes to the total that we hear.

I was going to listen again on the desktop speakers, which certainly don't go low, for comparison, but I got sidetracked into listening to the whole of Also Sprach Zarathustra on Youtube. Ahhh... the perils and pleasures of the internet! :)

Of course, I always think of the film, but actually didn't like it that much, so I don't have that problem :lol:

I got further sidetracked into listening to another R. Strauss piece.

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back