Interesting video on MQA

A sequel to the original video. Apparently MQA stopped claiming it was lossless after the first one
He sounds reasonable though I don’t understand terms like “aliasing” or “temporal blur”
please correct me if I am wrong, but As I understand it:

FLAC, WMA, ALAC, AIFF are all lossless (compressed or otherwise); MQA is not.

MQA uses proprietary tech to encode and licenses decoding the same to audio equipment manufacturers for profit.
To market this they made some rather tall claims, some border on unethical.
Several big streaming services have contracted the company that owns MQA technology. There is some concern this could become a monopoly.
Perception of SQ of MQA is variable and subjective and difficult to measure.
Apple is going to do something similar, but with more panache and muscle.
This guy doing the testing and publishing these videos is a pain in the @$$ for MQA. MQA is using legalese to respond- somewhat suspicious…
This soap opera has a few more episodes for us to enjoy.

He sounds reasonable though I don’t understand terms like “aliasing” or “temporal blur”
please correct me if I am wrong, but As I understand it:

FLAC, WMA, ALAC, AIFF are all lossless (compressed or otherwise); MQA is not.

MQA uses proprietary tech to encode and licenses decoding the same to audio equipment manufacturers for profit.
To market this they made some rather tall claims, some border on unethical.
Several big streaming services have contracted the company that owns MQA technology. There is some concern this could become a monopoly.
Perception of SQ of MQA is variable and subjective and difficult to measure.
Apple is going to do something similar, but with more panache and muscle.
This guy doing the testing and publishing these videos is a pain in the @$$ for MQA. MQA is using legalese to respond- somewhat suspicious…
This soap opera has a few more episodes for us to enjoy.
De-blur seems to be a marketing term from MQA . Aliasing explanation here: https://www.blackghostaudio.com/blog/the-quick-guide-to-audio-aliasing

The big thing with MQA originally was being able to do lossless high res at lower file sizes. That claim has apparently been withdrawn. The rest of it just marketing fluff.

Only Tidal uses MQA among the major streaming services. Qobuz uses flac for high res. Amazon / Apple not on the MQA train, Spotify unlikely to use it either. So no worry about it becoming a monpoly.

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back