Intermediate levels on stepped volume attenuator?

Shivam

I am facing a small problem for the last few days. I had to shift my music system to a smaller room than before. My preamp has a stepped volume attenuator. The problem is that the first step of the volume attenuator is too low for me to enjoy the music and the second step is too high for background listening. I can't adjust to anything in between.

What should I do ?

I am facing a small problem for the last few days. I had to shift my music system to a smaller room than before. My preamp has a stepped volume attenuator. The problem is that the first step of the volume attenuator is too low for me to enjoy the music and the second step is too high for background listening. I can't adjust to anything in between.

What should I do ?

What is the make and model of your preamp & How many steps it has. Generally the steps are about 3 dB increments.

You might have too much gain, so Pre-Attenuation may be required.
Normal listening levels are typically when the knob position is between 9 o'clock and 12 o'clock. But if you have high output level signal source equipment (such as CD players), high gain power amplifiers, and/or very efficient speakers, a "regular" stepped attenuator may not provide enough attenuation for you, and you may experience the following:
1) The sound level is too high when turning the knob up only a few clicks.
2) Turning the knob up past 9 o'clock makes the sound level higher than you would ever want it to be.
If either of the above conditions exist, a good solution is to install a pre-attenuation circuit. Adding pre-attenuation allows you to turn the stepped attenuator knob up higher (which increases the number of usable steps on the stepped attenuator).

It is a dact attenuator with about 24 steps. The preamp is by Acoustic Portrait.

I seem to have two options going by your post-
Either to change the attenuator to something with more steps.
Use pre-attenuation.

What if I route my components through Musical Fidelity M1 Clic which also has a volume control ?

Siva of AP suggested changing the attenuator with some other. I like the quality of dact and so don't want to change it.

Problem is mainly with the CDs that are fighting the loudness war (which unfortunately constitute a major portion of albums available in the market). With good quality CDs, flac files and LPs, I don't have this problem.

Siva of AP suggested changing the attenuator with some other. I like the quality of dact and so don't want to change it.

Problem is mainly with the CDs that are fighting the loudness war (which unfortunately constitute a major portion of albums available in the market). With good quality CDs, flac files and LPs, I don't have this problem.

In these cases, adding about 20dB in front of the stepped attenuator is about right.
The following images and tables show the amount of additional attenuation provided by different Rp1 and Rp2 combinations. Determine your stepped attenuator value and then refer to the appropriate chart below to select Rp1 and Rp2 values.
Usually, about 20dB is a good amount to try first.
You might use inexpensive resistors to find the correct amount of attenuation for your system, and then buy exotic ones for the final installation.

Last edited:
Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back