Interresting article on "High End - expensive Hi-fi equipment"

I don’t.

The author does not know that there is a deeply vested interest of branding and brand marketing. That’s where things are not so easy as to generalised as ‘deeply personal’. There has been a long history of psychology of greed/marketing/ and selling dreams.

But yes I do agree that humans can be fools and fooled. It’s natural. The phenomenon of Coca Cola, a dirt cheap carbonated drink - is whole lesson on human psychology for branding/marketing/selling. I mean I was personally brainwashed into thinking drinking them was the best option for me for my liquid needs. Learnt lesson …I now drink fresh prepared seasonal fruits.

But anyway I respect all differences of opinion.

I agree with this article whole - heartedly.
Cheers,
Sid
I agree that there is a huge subjective element to this hobby. The analogies and examples used were also well taken. However, there is another aspect which was entirely glossed over i.e. snake oil - products which do not perform the job that they purport to.

While buying a product for its aesthetic or perceived value is fine, one shouldn't be duped into buying something which does absolutely nothing with respect to what it propagates.

Objective measurements do indicate that such products exist.

However, the objective side of things is not without its fallacies. Certain people tend to rely overly on certain objective measurements without actually knowing how such parameters manifest to their ears. Some parameters may be subjectively more relevant than others to a particular set of ears.

The objective side should be coupled with the subjective in order to come to an informed buying decision. In any case, one should not be admonished or ridiculed for their subjective choices if the objective side was not entirely glossed over. Again, the objectives may differ too and may not necessarily be relegated to measurements.

I would imagine that the end goal is more power to the consumer and not about pushing either agenda unless one stands to profit from them?

Last edited:
Well written article that includes arguments from all positions!
Tough even to do “whataboutery” as the article itself covers these :cool:
The last paragraph mentions “counting enjoyment “
Now that’s provoking both the “S” gang and “O” gang.

Thanks to the import duty and exchange rate, whatever lands here becomes 'High End - expensive Hi-fi equipment.' :)
That should be the case for any-thing that is not made in India, why only hifi equipment? Cars, wine, watches, sports equipment etc etc.
Cheers,
Sid

Because beyond a certain slab purchases and acquisitions are wholly aspirational rather than motivated by some subjectively ideated performance benchmarks.
Somebody said in some thread you don’t buy a Ferrari to drive on Mumbai roads. Yet Ferraris & even Lambos are pretty common sight in the metros , hustling and guzzling at traffic signals with the autos and vans.
Same logic applies for the Patek Philippe and Hermes.
Hell , there are connoisseurs who consider even the Pateks entry level luxury watches :D

Last edited:
Without the vested interest to brand this 'aspirational value' , it will be worth studying how Lambo, Rolex etc will costs.

In a way it's the ELITISM of human nature and human history......stating fro kings and queens, royals and aristocrats.

.......in a way.

The phenomenon of Coca Cola, a dirt cheap carbonated drink - is whole lesson on human psychology for branding/marketing/selling.
Heard of thumbs up? They are not unique. Globally there were many such brands which were more popular even after the introduction of the two giants with massive campaign. So much for branding. They were brought over and killed.

the drink gives a high. It became so common that people don't think that. That is the phenomenon. Branding comes a far third. Second place goes to being dirt cheap. Yes the story of how they became big is interesting but overhyped when compared to its basic attributes.

Trivia - a very revealing take of its first sip can be found in 'the drawing of the three'. Replace the drink with pot and the description will still fit.

My take on branding - not only with hi-fi but any other field is that - if one is experienced in that field and is truly an enthusiast as opposed to being a casual user/show off - then branding hardly matters. One can automatically separate the wheat from the Chaff and pick what they truly enjoy and attribute appropriate value. Such a person will also ignore all the advertising and pick what he truly believes in. This goes for the snake oil stuff also that is sold for the said field (I am pretty sure snake oil products don't exisit for hifi products only).
Branding etc. is for the casual user, who may not be as deeply vested in the field, and is going to consider money spent as an indicator of the brands value. And indeed, I don't think it is possible for anyone to be an expert in all the fields/hobbies, so ultimately some where branding will impact their buying habits and is the reason why advertising is such a huge industry.
On an OT, How anyone who drivers a Ferarri/ Lamborghini/Porsche sports cars on Indian roads and finds them comfortable (or any other sports cars that are tuned for performance rather than comfort), when their spine is taking a beating with the stiff suspension, has always been a mystery to me? I normally don't look at them with envy but with sympathy.
Cheers,
Sid

Last edited:
Heard of thumbs up? They are not unique. Globally there were many such brands which were more popular even after the introduction of the two giants with massive campaign. So much for branding. They were brought over and killed.

the drink gives a high. It became so common that people don't think that. That is the phenomenon. Branding comes a far third. Second place goes to being dirt cheap. Yes the story of how they became big is interesting but overhyped when compared to its basic attributes.

Trivia - a very revealing take of its first sip can be found in 'the drawing of the three'. Replace the drink with pot and the description will still fit.
The original cocaine in it could also have made it popular.

However I respectfully disagree about branding being third. Branding is the USP. And companies take advantage of the psychology behind it. CON is an accepted modus operandi from years in human history.

My take on branding - not only with hi-fi but any other field is that - if one is experienced in that field and is truly an enthusiast as opposed to being a casual user/show off - then branding hardly matters. One can automatically separate the wheat from the Chaff and pick what they truly enjoy and attribute appropriate value. Such a person will also ignore all the advertising and pick what he truly believes in. This goes for the snake oil stuff also that is sold for the said field (I am pretty sure snake oil products don't exisit for hifi products only).
Branding etc. is for the casual user, who may not be as deeply vested in the field, and is going to consider money spent as an indicator of the brands value. And indeed, I don't think it is possible for anyone to be an expert in all the fields/hobbies, so ultimately some where branding will impact their buying habits and is the reason why advertising is such a huge industry.
On an OT, How anyone who drivers a Ferarri/ Lamborghini/Porsche sports cars on Indian roads and finds them comfortable (or any other sports cars that are tuned for performance rather than comfort), when their spine is taking a beating with the stiff suspension, has always been a mystery to me? I normally don't look at them with envy but with sympathy.
Cheers,
Sid

I always view branding separate from brand reputation.

Branding is the USP. And companies take advantage of the psychology behind it. CON is an accepted modus operandi from years in human history.

Oh, for heavens sake!
Please don’t use jargon if you have no idea what you’re talking about.
I’ve been an advertising and marketing professional for three decades now, and I’ve never heard such nonsense before.
If you have an issue with expensive products, here’s a simple solution: don’t buy them!

Without the vested interest to brand this 'aspirational value' , it will be worth studying how Lambo, Rolex etc will costs.
Frankly not sure about ROLEX - but a Lambo will still cost a lot - a lot higher than most cars. A Lamborghini Murciélago with 6.5L engine with 660HP will still cost a lot more than many cars whether or not it is aspirational.

Last edited:
Oh, for heavens sake!
Please don’t use jargon if you have no idea what you’re talking about.
I’ve been an advertising and marketing professional for three decades now, and I’ve never heard such nonsense before.
If you have an issue with expensive products, here’s a simple solution: don’t buy them!
I feel you misunderstand me (not only you but some also). I am not against expensive taste/product. There are definitely products which are very costly to produce and hence become costly.

But let's say we study the economics of diamonds. Is it that rare? Or is it a clever aspirational branding?

Now come to think about even greeting cards.

I am reflecting more philosophically how we humans value something. Most by the inherent value.....but many by 'manufactured value' by clever vested interest. Whether it's ethical or not - depends on the perspective that you look from.

Now philosophically let's ask ourselves: what drive the need for an expensive Lambo? Why it should be expensive? For engineering feats?

(Lambo is a product for super rich. It's not an aspiration. It's branding made it an aspiration for those who cannot afford it. I know you will disagree :) )

I may sound digressing lol.

Frankly not sure about ROLEX - but a Lambo will still cost a lot - a lot higher than most cars. A Lamborghini Murciélago with 6.5L engine with 660HP will still cost a lot more than many cars whether or not it is aspirational.
There are plenty of examples in the auto world where the sum of the parts of the car (which also includes R&D) were far greater than the price the car was sold at , a prime example being the Bugatti Veyron and a less popular example being the Lexus LFA. One can say that these were halo products and a technological showcase for the company's capabilities but the point stands.

I wonder if there are any such examples in the hi fi world (not referring to going out of business sales of course)?

We live in a materialistic world and exclusivity is social "prestige" which comes with having unobtanium products..either due to price or due to its rarity. why else would someone want to buy Art for millions or someones used dress like marilyn monroe's subway dress !

Anyone who spends majority of their earnings to own something just for the pleasure like the above is of course a lost ( or really exalted!) soul..but for someone worth billions, spending a few millions is just like we eat at a roadside stall...its peanuts and a lambo to keep in front of the house is exactly that -a decoration.

If DeBeers were to release all its diamonds we would be using it as paperweights..hence they release only a tiny fraction of it to keep the demand up !

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back