Wishful thinking and how to be a contented audiophile

Analogous

Interesting article on the topic by Darko.

Quote; “ The driving force behind our wishful thinking is as human as it is understandable: a desire to maintain internal peace with something we cannot change. We might wish to treat our listening room but another household member swiftly vetoes the idea due to the visual intrusion. We might wish to buy a more costly DAC but our bank balance says ‘not this year (or next)’.

Coincidentally Guttenberg has suggestions on how to be a happy audiophile by experimenting (not necessarily by buying new stuff)
Quote: “”Remove your glasses (if you wear them) and Try listening in the nude”

Last edited:
I would look at it Philosophically than literally due to obvious reasons 😇 😆
Listening to others systems is usually interesting, especially if they have taken the pains to set it and match it well. you will hear something different you may like and get to wonder on setting up your own system..and changing equipment to be considered last option only !

Whathifi came up with this:

Quote: “…Whether it comes to us without warning as an unshakeable itch over a tormenting week or, less randomly, during a visit to a friend’s house which has been newly furnished with an amplifier costing twice the price of your own, we hi-fi hobbyists are prone to ‘upgradeitis’ just as much as the common cold. The nail a former What Hi-Fi? Editor hit directly on the head: “We're known for our inability to buy a system, set it up and listen to music – we have to tweak this, adjust that and constantly buy new bits and bobs.” It’s hardly a reputation we, as a collective, can refute...”

Interesting article on the topic by Darko.

Quote; “ The driving force behind our wishful thinking is as human as it is understandable: a desire to maintain internal peace with something we cannot change. We might wish to treat our listening room but another household member swiftly vetoes the idea due to the visual intrusion. We might wish to buy a more costly DAC but our bank balance says ‘not this year (or next)’.

Coincidentally Guttenberg has suggestions on how to be a happy audiophile by experimenting (not necessarily by buying new stuff)
Quote: “”Remove your glasses (if you wear them) and Try listening in the nude”
Yet both pushes information about new „better“ stuff which disturbs the same internal peace. If everyone is satisfied about what they are having at the moment, their channels are pointless. When we watch 100 videos about new stuff automatically we have a feeling that we need some of them them to keep us in the game.

Yet both pushes information about new „better“ stuff which disturbs the same internal peace. If everyone is satisfied about what they are having at the moment, their channels are pointless. When we watch 100 videos about new stuff automatically we have a feeling that we need some of them them to keep us in the game.
They push and we pull.
Blame either or both?

My approach

Identify the sound signature that works for me

Identify a group of audiophiles, reviewers, who identify with that sound signature and can provide me with a list of brands

Research the brands. Understand the designer. I look for designers who go to a lot of concerts and listen to a lot of music. It’s a must for me.

I reach out to the designer and exchange a lot of mails to understand the designer philosophy. Basically I buy into a designer. If a designer doesn’t respond, I don’t buy his stuff, irrespective of how well it’s reviewed

I replicate what the designer uses for his isolation and cabling. I never second guess. So everytime I change my system, chances are I change my cabling and isolation too.

Above approach has generally worked for me and I have seldom gone wrong. For some reason, listening/auditioning has not worked for me. I normally never understand what each piece of equipment is doing and what influence does the room, set up, cables, isolation have on the sound.

To add to the above, identifying the sound signature one likes is the most critical part. Without understanding this, searching for a piece of equipment becomes a humongous task, leading to a lot of dissatisfaction.

To add to the above, identifying the sound signature one likes is the most critical part. Without understanding this, searching for a piece of equipment becomes a humongous task, leading to a lot of dissatisfaction.
That summarises the biggest challenge for any audio enthusiast or audiophile seeking to put together a home set up.

My approach

Identify the sound signature that works for me

Identify a group of audiophiles, reviewers, who identify with that sound signature and can provide me with a list of brands

Research the brands. Understand the designer. I look for designers who go to a lot of concerts and listen to a lot of music. It’s a must for me.

I reach out to the designer and exchange a lot of mails to understand the designer philosophy. Basically I buy into a designer. If a designer doesn’t respond, I don’t buy his stuff, irrespective of how well it’s reviewed

I replicate what the designer uses for his isolation and cabling. I never second guess. So everytime I change my system, chances are I change my cabling and isolation too.

Above approach has generally worked for me and I have seldom gone wrong. For some reason, listening/auditioning has not worked for me. I normally never understand what each piece of equipment is doing and what influence does the room, set up, cables, isolation have on the sound.
respect 🙏🏻

respect 🙏🏻

I stumbled my way through this swamp, wasting money buying and trying various topologies for years till I reached a stage where I feel I know the sound I like when I hear it. I can not describe it adequately but I feel it. I also know very soon when I hear sound I don’t like or which leaves me feeling uninvolved or indifferent. @prem the step 1 of your meticulous method is an excellent pointer to start the process.

. For some reason, listening/auditioning has not worked for me. I normally never understand what each piece of equipment is doing and what influence does the room, set up, cables, isolation have on the sound.
I've had the same issue with auditions..all components except perhaps the source always sounded different in my room and changed as I played around with setup. Source audition helped to some extent in showing how resolving it could be but only when it was on equipment I had some understanding of.

Inputs by people whom I know and whose ears I would trust perhaps helped more in most case to help decide.

in most cases I found some youtube videos also helpful in getting an understanding of the sound signature but these are only one of the Inputs

Last edited:
I would look at it Philosophically than literally due to obvious reasons 😇 😆
Listening to others systems is usually interesting, especially if they have taken the pains to set it and match it well. you will hear something different you may like and get to wonder on setting up your own system..and changing equipment to be considered last option only !
I listened to my old setup(moved from my room to living room) and it sounds better than my new😬

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back