How to mount a ceiling fan in a store room without provision given for it?

Donivlapog

Hi all,

A new recruit driver from a different town needs to be accomodated in an outhouse store room which is originalky not designed to have a ceiling fan. We offered to have a pedestal fan put but he insists on a ceiling fan. Now I can extend a wire from an unused bulb connection with wire casing ducts and have a hook fixed to hold the fan but thats not going to be a regulated fan circuut. And secondly I have to do it without the help of the usual electrician as he has been showing off as too busy lately demanding an unreasonable fee and insists on a new fan when I have an already running fan with me handy thats sitting idle.

I might need to drill the ceiling of the shed for mounting a holding bracket with a small hook and am afraid it may not support the fan's weight with an unskilled DIY work. I have a dismantled ceiling fan that I can use which was replaced by a BLDC 6 months back which I wish to use for this purpose. I dont want to feed the electrician's greed (and although I have done such things before like HT wiring ducts DIY, have changed a fan etc...) with the help of an assistant, that guy is not an electrician either and does what is being told. Are there other risks involved as I am thinking of extending a wire from a bulb connection? Is a DIY advisable in this case? Thanks in advance.

Looks like your new recruit is a high headed chap. Inform the idiot that a pedestal fan is the only option and if he wants a ceiling fan, he can sort out the install himself. You are providing him free accommodation and a pedestal fan and now there are demands. Does the driver make decisions or do you?

If there is no mounting provision for a ceiling fan built into the concrete ceiling structure, you can't install one. Its that simple. You want to improvise, that is your call.

Looks like your new recruit is a high headed chap. Inform the idiot that a pedestal fan is the only option and if he wants a ceiling fan, he can sort out the install himself. You are providing him free accommodation and a pedestal fan and now there are demands. Does the driver make decisions or do you?
but what if he is planning to hang himself :)

On a serious note, hanging a ceiling fan without a metal loop in concrete is risky.

If there is no mounting provision for a ceiling fan built into the concrete ceiling structure, you can't install one. Its that simple. You want to improvise, that is your call.
I thought so as it is a difficult task. I will then stick to the pedestal fan option with a hard take it or leave it stand. Thanks.

I thought so as it is a difficult task. I will then stick to the pedestal fan option with a hard take it or leave it stand. Thanks.
We can find table fans with screw holes at the bottom for wall mounting. So they can be mounted on a wall with screws drilled into the wall. Albeit, not as effective as a ceiling fan, it might just work at the correct height and angle to cover his sleeping space.

Ceiling fans push hotter air collected near ceiling downwards.
A pedestal fan or a wall mounted or a table top is probably a bit better for ventilation too.
Easier to clean
If the new recruit accepts these claims and also that a poorly mounted ceiling fan may fall on him with dire consequences, it will be a smooth drive ahead.

Hi all,

A new recruit driver from a different town needs to be accomodated in an outhouse store room which is originalky not designed to have a ceiling fan. We offered to have a pedestal fan put but he insists on a ceiling fan. Now I can extend a wire from an unused bulb connection with wire casing ducts and have a hook fixed to hold the fan but thats not going to be a regulated fan circuut. And secondly I have to do it without the help of the usual electrician as he has been showing off as too busy lately demanding an unreasonable fee and insists on a new fan when I have an already running fan with me handy thats sitting idle.

I might need to drill the ceiling of the shed for mounting a holding bracket with a small hook and am afraid it may not support the fan's weight with an unskilled DIY work. I have a dismantled ceiling fan that I can use which was replaced by a BLDC 6 months back which I wish to use for this purpose. I dont want to feed the electrician's greed (and although I have done such things before like HT wiring ducts DIY, have changed a fan etc...) with the help of an assistant, that guy is not an electrician either and does what is being told. Are there other risks involved as I am thinking of extending a wire from a bulb connection? Is a DIY advisable in this case? Thanks in advance.
It is not difficult to mount a celing fan. You have to get this D holder. It is available in any hardware shop. First two holes have to be drilled to insert the two rods. Need to use 10 mm diameter drill bit for drilling holes on ceiling or wall to fix Fastener. The drilling depth should be greater than or equal to 65 mm. After that the pins have to be pushed inside with the hammer. When you hammer the pins, the rods expand making the D hook get a firm grip in the concrete. Pull out load is 75 Kgs and Jerk/Vibration load is 40 Kgs. I did this myself at 4 places in my current house. All of us are still alive and kicking as of now. What is important is the drill bit has to be 10mm.
1710208889319.png
1710208970872.png

Last edited:
It is not difficult to mount a celing fan. You have to get this D holder. It is available in any hardware shop. First two holes have to be drilled to insert the two rods. Need to use 10 mm diameter drill bit for drilling holes on ceiling or wall to fix Fastener. The drilling depth should be greater than or equal to 65 mm. After that the pins have to be pushed inside with the hammer. When you hammer the pins, the rods expand making the D hook get a firm grip in the concrete. Pull out load is 75 Kgs and Jerk/Vibration load is 40 Kgs. I did this myself at 4 places in my current house. All of us are still alive and kicking as of now. What is important is the drill bit has to be 10mm.
View attachment 83388
View attachment 83389
Brilliant...thanks for sharing sir :)

View attachment 83388
View attachment 83389
Yes this is the same way wherever the hook is not provided in the ceiling it has to be done and i have done for my house in this fashion for the chandelier too. But still requires a support from proper person who can drill to the exact depth needed and and tight it as required.

If you have proper DIY skills to do can do or else it will not come as intended..

View attachment 83388
View attachment 83389
Tread with caution... we had used similar hook/screw for fitting a swing in the balcony. In the first two- three days the swing (single seater and made of cane) came down with just my daughter's weight (she was 7 yrs old at the time). The mason & carpenter apologised saying they will try better next time :) If a rotating fan comes down on the driver, a simple apology may not be enough................ Have some kind of reinforcement also if possible to affix it.

Tread with caution... we had used similar hook/screw for fitting a swing in the balcony. In the first two- three days the swing (single seater and made of cane) came down with just my daughter's weight (she was 7 yrs old at the time). The mason & carpenter apologised saying they will try better next time :) If a rotating fan comes down on the driver, a simple apology may not be enough................ Have some kind of reinforcement also if possible to affix it.
Exactly , in my house the plank swing was fitted in different single hook style with similar thread and slowly it started coming down. We removed the swing before it could come off fully.

Exactly , in my house the plank swing was fitted in different single hook style with similar thread and slowly it started coming down. We removed the swing before it could come off fully.
The ability of concrete fasteners to hold long term is very dependent on the quality of the concrete used for casting the roof.

Unless one has personally supervised construction the risk of poor concrete and consequences of falling down are just too great.

While concrete quality is also a factor, the hole drilled into the concrete should be wide enough (as specified by hook manufacturer) so that the hook rod can expand into the concrete and hold tight. I think this is where most of the issues arise.

I really feel like taking the piss on this new recruit of yours.
Don't give him any fan.
Let em mosquitos chew him up for a bit and lets see how he responds to the situation.

Very risky, tell him to make-do with a pedestal fan / cooler or ask him to quit while he is "a-head"

Some of the responses above have uncharitable, even disrespectful things to say about/to this recruit. He might be misguided in his insistence on a ceiling fan when the premises don’t have a provision to fix it, and might change his mind once shown the pros and cons as well as provided an alternative (like the pedestal/ wall fan suggested by some). But this doesn’t mean he we can make him the butt of our heartless jokes.

Our behaviour with those of lower station in life than us says a lot about us. And I appreciate @Donivlapog ‘s concern for the living conditions of his employee.

Last edited:
Some of the responses above have uncharitable, even disrespectful things to say about/to this recruit. He might be misguided in his insistence on a ceiling fan when the premises don’t have a provision to fix it, and might change his mind once shown the pros and cons as well as provided an alternative (like the pedestal/ wall fan suggested by some). But this doesn’t mean he we can make him the butt of our heartless jokes.

Our behaviour with those of lower station in life than us says a lot about us. And I appreciate @Donivlapog ‘s concern for the living conditions of his employee.
Not sure about other responses here, but imo he is definitely not a lower station employee. Why?
This is higher than the peak Covid deaths in India or anywhere else. (This billionaire died due to a bad driver - https://www.thehindu.com/news/citie...gainst-dr-anahita-pandole/article66100663.ece).
His job is perhaps the most important of all - keeping his passengers alive. So perhaps him getting a good night's sleep is one of the major factors in this. I have 3 drivers, and each of them get a decent salary and the same respect and perks that I give to my finance folks who do my tax filings. All of us have to face death or taxes - no exception, better to delay the former if possible.
To the OP, if possible get a professional installation done of the ceiling fan, if not consider an air cooler as an incentive, I have provided one to one of my driver's who lives on my premises as it gets pretty hot here.
Cheers,
Sid

Last edited:
Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back