Planning for an HT upgrade : From 5.4.2 to 7.4.6 set-up in a 150 Sqft room..

Just an input.. cramming more speakers is not going to improve the surround experience.

You really need to move your seating position a bit farther away from the back wall..
That alone will give some semblance of 7-Ch separation to the speaker bed layer ..
I was gonna say, speakers should be the sitting position. Combine 3-4 subwoofer and make a sofa out of it. :p :D :):cool:

I was gonna say, speakers should be the sitting position. Combine 3-4 subwoofer and make a sofa out of it. :p :D :):cool:
Haha ,that is a good option to feel the tactile response of the sub and to have a massaging effect though :p,but then our elango ji will start talking about room modes,decay time and flat REW response etc..,
I guess ,He has fixed his mind about Dts Xpro layout .But getting more opinions for validation.
But IMO ,the rear heights and Voice of God (VOG)will be compromised ,since it is falling out of angle specified in the Guidelines.
However in a living room setup ,we may need to compromise on something.
Best of Luck Elango ji .

Oh wow, looks like this is going to be another wiki thread in the making.

On a side note, @elangoas when does the 3300 comes on sale, let me know, unless it's already booked.

MaSh

That is also a good option. Look at the setup in the below picture where a JTR 4000ULF is being placed under the Recliners.

Sure, IMO this is also a great Idea to keep the sub very close to the listening position..

I guess ,He has fixed his mind about Dts Xpro layout .But getting more opinions for validation.
But IMO ,the rear heights and Voice of God (VOG)will be compromised ,since it is falling out of angle specified in the Guidelines.
However in a living room setup ,we may need to compromise on something. Best of Luck Elango ji .

The Dts X Pro layout is defnetly interesting to me and gives options to add more speakers at all possible locations in my small room.. Will see how far it takes me.. Have to wait it until the Marantz announces the updated AV processor and its pricing and aval locally..

Oh wow, looks like this is going to be another wiki thread in the making.

On a side note, @elangoas when does the 3300 comes on sale, let me know, unless it's already booked. MaSh

I hope to step-up to it sooner.. As of now the x 3300 isn't booked.. So, i will keep you updated when i plan to let it go in few months time..

Maybe I am missing something, but if the configuration is in DTS:X pro shouldnt the source material have been mixed in that format, else you will only get a pseudo effect.

Maybe I am missing something, but if the configuration is in DTS:X pro shouldnt the source material have been mixed in that format, else you will only get a pseudo effect.

I think Dts X Pro is only a speaker layout for a home theaters AVR and processor that can support upto 32 channels of speaker layout, from the website - https://dts.com/dtsxpro#

I think the source material will remain Dts X codec, to fully exploit the Dts X Pro speaker layout..

From the AVS threads, i feel Dts X was limited to 11 speakers maximum.. Hence the Dts X Pro, to support upto 32 speakers..

Just thinking out aloud.
I get far more enveloping sound with a 5.1.2 atmos in my HT room/ study than with the same number of speakers (and better grade) in my living room..
The AVRs are comparable (SR6010 and x3500) although the living room has an integrated amp for fronts + a much newer model. Add the fact that the speakers are also better and you'd expect that the Living room should get better sound?

Yet I can say with absolute (subjective) certainly that TV/movie audio is a lot more “surround-ey” in the step-child setup.
Perhaps worth checking the speaker placements and optimising that instead of plonking more money equipment ?

@elangoas You can also consider Emotiva XMC-2 processor. It is a better processor than Marantz 8805 for lesser price.

I haven't followed the Emotiva standalone processors. Thanks, will check..

I get far more enveloping sound with a 5.1.2 atmos in my HT room/ study than with the same number of speakers (and better grade) in my living room..

Thats nice..

Perhaps worth checking the speaker placements and optimising that instead of plonking more money equipment ?

There are some limitation in my room, but with that i have been able to get the position fairly right for my existing set-up of 5.4.2.. I had plan for upgrading to 4 heights, but thought i will wait for an AVR/processor that supports front wide.. The new AVR from Denon & Marantz, just ignited the desire :)..

I have fair amount of treatment in the living room, whatever inconsistencies remain, i thought to rely on EQ..

Unless the Surround speakers are actually behind you, you WILL not get any semblance of surround sound.

No matter even if they are diffuse bipolars on side walls.

Unless the Surround speakers are actually behind you, you WILL not get any semblance of surround sound.

No matter even if they are diffuse bipolars on side walls.

Fair enough.. The surrounds in my room are firing straight-at my ears.. Its a room limitation, slight compromise.. i can't do much abt it..

But with other speaker locations, i think i can position them close to where it should be..

Hi All,

Planning for an upgrade, from 5.4.2 to 7.4.6 set-up in my living room..

Room dimensions : 14ft (W) x 11ft (L), 150 Sqft room..
Screen : DIY 100 inch Acoustic Transparent screen, 16:9 Aspect ratio ..
Projector : Xgimi H1, 1080p (DLP-LED projector)..
Current AVR : Denon x 3300
Speakers : Taga Harmony Platinum series..
Subwoofer : Quad DIY sealed passive subs, powered externally..
Power amps : 12 Channels (8 Channel Sonodyne Power amp + 4 Channel power amp) has both RCA & XLR inputs..
Acoustics : 100 cuft of Uncompressed rock wool spread evenly on the ceiling, approx 40 Sqft of acoustic foams on front wall (besides the DIY screen)..

Tentative upgrade : Denon x 6700 / Marantz 8015 / Marantz AV 7706 (to be announced) / 13.2 capable processor from any other popular AVR brand..

Denon x 6700 and Marantz SR 8015 both have support for front wide speakers and have 13.2 pre-outs.. I believe the upcoming processor from Marantz (AV7706) too would be 13.2 capable..

The DTS X Pro support on the above models makes an interesting, possible speaker layout in my room..

e62fc3a9e2be36598b3316d1c063ab7a.jpg

What interests me in upgrade..

- Pre-amp mode on the AVR, which gives the flexibility of AVR acting as a processor on budget.

- Support for front wides (I can't do a surr back in the room as i sit against the back wall, but can accommodate front wides, and native support from both Dolby Atmos and Dts X formats)..

- Provision for 6 height speakers and an interesting speaker layout for Dts X..

Dts X Pro seems a look alike of Auro 3D speaker layout from the above image..

How much of a difference would it be between a premium AVR like Denon x 6700, Marantz SR 8015 Vs a standalone multichannel processor (Marantz AV7705, 6) ?..

Looks like a overkill for small sized room.

Fair enough.. The surrounds in my room are firing straight-at my ears.. Its a room limitation, slight compromise.. i can't do much abt it..

But with other speaker locations, i think i can position them close to where it should be..

Can you try replacing the couch with something like chairs/recliners? And you could pull such a chair to couple of feet in front of the back wall every time you watch a movie.( Run Audyssey for this position only)

Believe me, this one thing will completely enhance your movie experience rather than any # of speakers you add. Speaking from experience.

Looks like a overkill for small sized room.

There are members who have done 9.1.6 in a 12 x 12 room on AVS forum.. Am planning to do 2 speakers less than them, in almost the same or slightly bigger room size:) ..

Can you try replacing the couch with something like chairs/recliners? And you could pull such a chair to couple of feet in front of the back wall every time you watch a movie.( Run Audyssey for this position only)

Believe me, this one thing will completely enhance your movie experience rather than any # of speakers you add. Speaking from experience.

Thanks.. But, i have no liberty of changing to recliners as it is a small living room..

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back