Introduction and few info on buying HI FI from Singapore

swami69

Hello freinds, i am swami and currently residing in Singapore on a project. I am from Chennai and my family is there. I have a passion for Photography and was pursuing that as a hobby and still continue to do so. As it is my childhood dream for quality audio stuff, recently studied a bit through the web and bought few things here in Singapore which i like very much. I have a Yamaha avr463 with speakers + sub (package) - but did not like the quality for 2CH music. Hence my new venture - my new KIT is CA340C + NAD C355BEE + MISSION M32i speakers - They are all relatively new and i think still they are taking their time to break-in. But, even now, it is lovely to listen to them. This is my current starting setup........currently mostly using IPOD as a source - need to get CDs when i am back in India.

Now, i have been reading through many topics in this forum and there were few threads relating to buying stuff from Singapore. Thought, just could share whatever i have learnt so far.

(also have seen people like Mr.Venkat have been giving tips for many questions on this topic - anyway)

You can look at the following places in Singapore for HIFI :

Alpha Audio - Sim Lim Square - primarily dealing with NAD, CA, MARANTZ, LUXMAN, DENON, MF, MISSION, PSB, DALI, A&E, ELAC, PIONEER - this is what i could remember - i bought all my stuff from here. Very reasonably priced. (Pros - if you choose your components from here, you can have multiple permuttations, combinations for audition as ALL AT ONE PLACE)

ADELPHI - full of HIFI shops - various brands like DYNAUDIO, ROTEL, KEF, MA, DENON, B&W, WHARFEDALE, Magneplanar ?, Mordaunt Short, NIAM few more BIGGIES - can't remember - This issue here is, each one is kind of a speciality shop - mixing and matching for an audition may not be possible. With better listening capabilities, one could manage virtually matching in their heads. ha ha.

Reading some of the pricing being discussed in India, i think, SG is cheaper for most of the stuff. They will always charge 7% GST on the price (normally they quote all in price).

You just need the invoice showing the GST and tourists going out of Singapore can claim tax refund in all the terminals of Changi. (unfortunately, i cannot claim, because i am on a Employment pass - not eligible for refund).

All full fare airlines normally allow 20 kgs as baggage allowance. For the rest, they will charge, i am not sure, how much, but still paying that extra would be cheaper, i think.

What else !! hmmm.. i have placed my M32is 8 feet apart with a little toe-in and it is giving me a great soundstage and central imaging - which i like very much. Still experimenting as i am anyway a beginner.

HOPE THIS IS OF SOME HELP and all the very best to all of you.

regards swami :)

Hello freinds, i am swami and currently residing in Singapore on a project. I am from Chennai and my family is there. I have a passion for Photography and was pursuing that as a hobby and still continue to do so. As it is my childhood dream for quality audio stuff, recently studied a bit through the web and bought few things here in Singapore which i like very much. I have a Yamaha avr463 with speakers + sub (package) - but did not like the quality for 2CH music. Hence my new venture - my new KIT is CA340C + NAD C355BEE + MISSION M32i speakers - They are all relatively new and i think still they are taking their time to break-in. But, even now, it is lovely to listen to them. This is my current starting setup........currently mostly using IPOD as a source - need to get CDs when i am back in India.

Now, i have been reading through many topics in this forum and there were few threads relating to buying stuff from Singapore. Thought, just could share whatever i have learnt so far.

(also have seen people like Mr.Venkat have been giving tips for many questions on this topic - anyway)

Alpha Audio - Sim Lim Square - primarily dealing with NAD, CA, MARANTZ, LUXMAN, DENON, MF, MISSION, PSB, DALI, A&E, ELAC, PIONEER - this is what i could remember - i bought all my stuff from here. Very reasonably priced. (Pros - if you choose your components from here, you can have multiple permuttations, combinations for audition as ALL AT ONE PLACE)

ADELPHI - full of HIFI shops - various brands like DYNAUDIO, ROTEL, KEF, MA, DENON, B&W, WHARFEDALE, Magneplanar ?, Mordaunt Short, NIAM few more BIGGIES - can't remember - This issue here is, each one is kind of a speciality shop - mixing and matching for an audition may not be possible. With better listening capabilities, one could manage virtually matching in their heads. ha ha.

Reading some of the pricing being discussed in India, i think, SG is cheaper for most of the stuff. They will always charge 7% GST on the price (normally they quote all in price).

You just need the invoice showing the GST and tourists going out of Singapore can claim tax refund in all the terminals of Changi. (unfortunately, i cannot claim, because i am on a Employment pass - not eligible for refund).

All full fare airlines normally allow 20 kgs as baggage allowance. For the rest, they will charge, i am not sure, how much, but still paying that extra would be cheaper, i think.

What else !! hmmm.. i have placed my M32is 8 feet apart with a little toe-in and it is giving me a great soundstage and central imaging - which i like very much. Still experimenting as i am anyway a beginner.

thanks sir appreciate it whole-heartedly.

I am plannign a trip later this month for a NAD 355 possibly and my friend a mac book air and my ex boss a laptop, a high end SLR. etc. Hope we find things cheaper there. Also I think i can save money cos i have to pay for tickets only - hotel, food, travel paid by ex boss :clapping:

BTW if you start using a dedicated CD player instead of an iPOD you will see what that can do - the iPOD has good very average DAC - resulting in poor music quality.

BTW if you can confirm the price of NAD 355 from the place you bought it - i will be indebted.

hi suprateep, Yes, i agree that IPOD is very mediocre. i have bought the CA340C CD player and have few audiophile recordings which sound amazing. What i mentioned was, currently i am using ipod as my primary source for my Indian music. Wish to get Indian music CDs soon.

Ok - to your query on NADC355BEE - i paid SGD800 incl of GST which means you can still get a refund of approx SGD 60 - effective 740 if you are a tourist.

Hope it helps. Swami

Hi Swami,

Congratulations on your purchase and thanks for contributing this valuable information to the forum.

How is the pricing compared to mustafa. when i visited mustafa i felt pricing is lowest there?

Thanks,
Prakash.

hey swami could you also let us know the price you paid for your other components, the CA and the Missions? thanks in advance

hi suprateep, Yes, i agree that IPOD is very mediocre. i have bought the CA340C CD player and have few audiophile recordings which sound amazing. What i mentioned was, currently i am using ipod as my primary source for my Indian music. Wish to get Indian music CDs soon.

Ok - to your query on NADC355BEE - i paid SGD800 incl of GST which means you can still get a refund of approx SGD 60 - effective 740 if you are a tourist.

Hope it helps. Swami

How is the pricing compared to mustafa. when i visited mustafa i felt pricing is lowest there?

As far as I know, Mustafa does not stock any of the items we are talking about. At best you may be lucky to get a DVD Player there. But certainly not NAD, CA, and brands like that.

Cheers

hey Swami - good that you shared this info. Maybe I can ask some friend to get me some stuff - and if they say can't find it, I know where to send them
:lol:
regards

Glad to see that it is of being some help to the members. As Venkat has well clarified, Mustafa is only for large scale consumer stuff and not for high end Audio Hi Fi.

For CA C340C - i paid S$360 and for Mission M32i S$460 (both incl of GST 7%) - after reading through some posts, it is referred to Vijay Sales in Mumbai for Missions - which i think may be surprisingly cheaper than Singapore. Need to investigate more.

Added information - There are others dealers in other parts of SIN for Polk, Arcam etc., i am sure.

Have a good day. Swami

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back