• Hello and Welcome to HiFiVision.com - an online community for the home entertainment and tech enthusiasts!

If you would like to ask a question, participate in a discussion and view attachments please Register yourself.

Inviting comments / exchanges of notes, pointers, etc. from users of vintage HAFLER power and pre amps - specifically, the HAFLER DH-110 / 200 combo

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers

ronniemarker

Hello All -

I wonder (are there ?) any present-day 'users" of the now 30+ year old HAFLER power and pre amplifiers
on THIS forum ?

I recently acquired a "pair" of circa 35 year old HAFLER DH-200 (power amp) and DH-110 (pre-amp) units
and am hoping to re-acquaint myself with them after an interlude of 20+ years.......I HAD owned and used
quite a few Haflers both here in India and in the USA (when I lived there formerly) - but, in recent times,
I have / had consciously drifted away from them.

If any of you are STILL using them (HAFLER amps) and specifically, the same ones (DH-200 and DH-110)
that I have now acquired and if you'd like to share / compare notes, findings, caveats, etc., please DO
chime in and PM me - it will be quite a pleasure to hear from some / any of you !

Meanwhile - in advance a bit - but, a most Joyous Christmas to all of you and a safe and Happy New Year
to follow !

Best Wishes,

Ronnie K. Marker
Mumbai

yogibear

Beautiful amps. One was at my wish list. Then high dB drivers happened and the wish remains unfulfilled.

ronniemarker

Hi.....I am NOT so sure if they could be termed as "beautiful"; but, they ARE fully Made in (the good old) USA
and, when set up and functioning correctly, they did (do) have a pleasant, acceptable sound !

prem

I used to have the same combo driving a pair of Tannoy Gold in late 80s. Don’t remember it being anything exceptional. It blew twice. I then sold them off

yogibear

Hi.....I am NOT so sure if they could be termed as "beautiful"; but, they ARE fully Made in (the good old) USA
and, when set up and functioning correctly, they did (do) have a pleasant, acceptable sound !

Beautiful in sound, some of them for bass but certainly not visually.

ronniemarker

I used to have the same combo driving a pair of Tannoy Gold in late 80s. Don’t remember it being anything exceptional. It blew twice. I then sold them off

They are usually quite stable......but, with electronics of any brand and any vintage, who can tell.......it's really quite strange AND coincidental that I might decide to "use" them with MY Tannoy 15" Monitor Golds; or, then, perhaps my AR 3As.....for now, I will connect and use them with modest vintage Harman Kardons which are rated at a mere 25 W (I will have to exercise caution as the Hafler has 100 W below its belt). I'll begin re-familarizing myself with them and take it at step (forward) at a time........THANKS for your input/s though (NO pun intended..)

shafic

Hi Ronnie,
Even I had them. Good amps but I didn't feel there was anything 'special'.

Rajiv

Hello All -

I wonder (are there ?) any present-day 'users" of the now 30+ year old HAFLER power and pre amplifiers
on THIS forum ?

I recently acquired a "pair" of circa 35 year old HAFLER DH-200 (power amp) and DH-110 (pre-amp) units
and am hoping to re-acquaint myself with them after an interlude of 20+ years.......I HAD owned and used
quite a few Haflers both here in India and in the USA (when I lived there formerly) - but, in recent times,
I have / had consciously drifted away from them.

If any of you are STILL using them (HAFLER amps) and specifically, the same ones (DH-200 and DH-110)
that I have now acquired and if you'd like to share / compare notes, findings, caveats, etc., please DO
chime in and PM me - it will be quite a pleasure to hear from some / any of you !

Meanwhile - in advance a bit - but, a most Joyous Christmas to all of you and a safe and Happy New Year
to follow !

Best Wishes,

Ronnie K. Marker
Mumbai

Hi,
I had the Hafler DH 101/200 combination many years ago. I drove the Celestion SL6 and SL600 speakers with the Hafler amps. Lovely combination.

I don't recall trying the Hafler with the Tannoy 15 MG's but tried them with the Tannoy III LZ. Sounded good but the Celestion Hafler combination was better.

I paired the DH101 pre with my Quad II amps based on the recommendation of Ken Kessler in Hi FI News. He rated the combination very highly.

The Hafler DH 101/ Quad II combo drove the Tannoy 15 MG's &Goodmans Axiom 301's very well. Great sound.

Gave away the DH 200 the DH101 is still around but hasn't been used for many years now.

Regards
Rajiv

ronniemarker

Hi Ronnie,
Even I had them. Good amps but I didn't feel there was anything 'special'.

Hi Shafic - good to hear from you (as always !) - you are probably right / correct about the "old" Haflers - they are definitely NOT
"high end" but a probably "acceptable" in sound quality by today's standards - many years ago, when I lived in the USA, I had the
opportunity (then) to purchase, use and enjoy their more "expensive" amps - which were definitely VERY good - but now, here in
India, one has to be content with whatever one obtains.......I'll let you know someday HOW I find them with MY set/s of speakers...
Thanks again and best wishes, Shafic !

Regards,

Ronnie

ronniemarker

Hi,
I had the Hafler DH 101/200 combination many years ago. I drove the Celestion SL6 and SL600 speakers with the Hafler amps. Lovely combination.

I don't recall trying the Hafler with the Tannoy 15 MG's but tried them with the Tannoy III LZ. Sounded good but the Celestion Hafler combination was better.

I paired the DH101 pre with my Quad II amps based on the recommendation of Ken Kessler in Hi FI News. He rated the combination very highly.

The Hafler DH 101/ Quad II combo drove the Tannoy 15 MG's &Goodmans Axiom 301's very well. Great sound.

Gave away the DH 200 the DH101 is still around but hasn't been used for many years now.

Regards
Rajiv

Hi Rajiv -

thanks for chiming in......yes, I have read too that many actually preferred the "sound" of the humble DH-101 to the "newer"
DH-110.........however; I suppose they all somewhat share the same (David Hafler) DNA and thus are more likely to have
greater similarities than differences.............let's see and hope that I am NOT too disappointed with MY "set" ! Thanks, again
for your insights !

Regards,