iPad Air 2 to denon Avr-x1700h - Apple Music

MichelP

Hi All,

I have just ordered my first avreceiver, the denon x-1700h

These are my first steps in Avr-land

I would like to play music lossless from my iPad to the denon, not through airplay or Bluetooth

Could the following cable be used,

Thanks for your feedback

Hi All,

I would like to play music lossless from my iPad to the denon, not through airplay or Bluetooth

Thanks for your feedback
The cable will work. It will be analog output from the IPAD and the quality will be that of the DAC used in the IPAD

Consider getting an old AirPort Express (you can get it on Olx usually around Rs 3000-5000 in India and under 30 Euros on eBay in Europe). Then you can connect it with an optical cable to your AVR and stream lossless via Airplay from iPad to the AirPort Express. That way you get to use the DAC in your AVR as well as listen to lossless music from Apple Music. Also then you don’t need to tether your iPad to the AVR and can use it from your sitting position to play music as well as multitask. I do this.

Last edited:
Hi All,

Thanks for your feedback

Simpler is to use airplay from yoru iPad to the receiver.

Both need to be on the same WiFi network.

The cable will work. It will be analog output from the IPAD and the quality will be that of the DAC used in the IPAD
that's exactly what i also thought, so it will work but use the dac from the ipad...not the best option
thanks for your feedback, it confirms what i was thinking

Simpler is to use airplay from yoru iPad to the receiver.

Both need to be on the same WiFi network.
yes, airplay is the easiest way, but unfortunately you cannot stream hires or spatial audio bitperfect, i know there is also some limitation with airplay, it's not completely lossless as far as i know
thanks for your reply anyway

yes, airplay is the easiest way, but unfortunately you cannot stream hires or spatial audio bitperfect, i know there is also some limitation with airplay, it's not completely lossless as far as i know
thanks for your reply anyway
correct if i would be wrong

correct if i would be wrong
You are right. And that’s why the AirPort Express option outlined above. It plays lossless bit perfect via Airplay unlike when you Airplay directly from iPad to AVR. The only other way to Airplay lossless to your AVR is from a MacBook by selecting the AVR in the global settings.

that's exactly what i also thought, so it will work but use the dac from the ipad...not the best option
thanks for your feedback, it confirms what i was thinking
It will be lossless and bit perfect for 44.1 kHz, which I think is most of the songs on apple servers. IPAD Air 2 can go upto max 48 kHz, but only movie sound tracks are sampled at 48 kHz. For songs having sampling rate > 48 kHz you will need an external DAC. An old airport express too will give you lossless and bit perfect for songs having sampling rate of 44.1 kHz and give you the convenience of being free from wire. Apple TV will resample every damn song on this planet to 48 kHz and so it is the worst of the options if you have good ears.

It will be lossless and bit perfect for 44.1 kHz, which I think is most of the songs on apple servers. IPAD Air 2 can go upto max 48 kHz, but only movie sound tracks are sampled at 48 kHz. For songs having sampling rate > 48 kHz you will need an external DAC. An old airport express too will give you lossless and bit perfect for songs having sampling rate of 44.1 kHz and give you the convenience of being free from wire. Apple TV will resample every damn song on this planet to 48 kHz and so it is the worst of the options if you have good ears.
thank you very much for your helpful feedback
yes, i should consider a dac, if i would like to send apple music lossless (and maybe hi-res and/or spatial) to my av receiver

You are right. And that’s why the AirPort Express option outlined above. It plays lossless bit perfect via Airplay unlike when you Airplay directly from iPad to AVR. The only other way to Airplay lossless to your AVR is from a MacBook by selecting the AVR in the global settings.
thanks for your feedback, this hifi audio and avr-universe is so challenging but meanwhile also very interesting to get things to work in the proper way

I use an Apple TV to stream to raspberry pi 4b connected to a chord mojo and despite the static 48khz, I cannot make a difference between music played in this combination vs music streamed at 44 kHz from my laptop to chord mojo. I think the resampling doesnt lead to any audible artifacts in this case. Anyway Apple TV is not a good option just like AirPort Express if the goal is hi res audio.

Consider getting an old AirPort Express (you can get it on Olx usually around Rs 3000-5000 in India and under 30 Euros on eBay in Europe). Then you can connect it with an optical cable to your AVR and stream lossless via Airplay from iPad to the AirPort Express. That way you get to use the DAC in your AVR as well as listen to lossless music from Apple Music. Also then you don’t need to tether your iPad to the AVR and can use it from your sitting position to play music as well as multitask. I do this.
why will the DAC in the AVR be used in this case? It will be - ipad-wifi-streaming data through to airport express - through to 3.5 mm Jack out - to AVR no?

The only other way to Airplay lossless to your AVR is from a MacBook by selecting the AVR in the global settings.
Oh, I thought this is lossy. But definitely, i see a difference Airplaying from my iPhone and Mac. Didnt realise its lossless. I am in an assumtion, the only way to achieve lossless by connecting apple devices directly to AVR.

Oh, I thought this is lossy. But definitely, i see a difference Airplaying from my iPhone and Mac. Didnt realise its lossless. I am in an assumtion, the only way to achieve lossless by connecting apple devices directly to AVR.
It will be lossy if you select AirPlay from within the Apple Music app in your Mac. However, it will be lossless if you select the speaker globally from the menu bar at the top of your Mac.

why will the DAC in the AVR be used in this case? It will be - ipad-wifi-streaming data through to airport express - through to 3.5 mm Jack out - to AVR no?
The 3.5 mm jack out from AirPort Express is actually a dual port. It will transmit analog signal if you use a 3.5 mm to RCA cable into your AVR. But it is also an optical digital port and if you connect the AirPort Express with optical cable to your AVR, the digital signal will be transmitted and the AVR’s DAC will be used.
IMG_2780.jpeg

Thta
The 3.5 mm jack out from AirPort Express is actually a dual port. It will transmit analog signal if you use a 3.5 mm to RCA cable into your AVR. But it is also an optical digital port and if you connect the AirPort Express with optical cable to your AVR, the digital signal will be transmitted and the AVR’s DAC will be used.
View attachment 82215
That doesn't sound right to me

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back