ipods and amps - how do we do it?

JaiByrne

Hi there,

I got a nice Marantz PM6003 amp the other day and I am very happy with it. The only problem is a lot of my listening is done with ipod. At the moment I have an RCA to aux on the Marantz to a normal jack plug on my ipod. There is no other way to connect the two as far as I can tell (?)

What I want though is seemingly hard to get, a remote controlled dock that has an output to an amp. Something that does not cost the world either.

I have had such trouble I am now thinking of just getting a very basic dock with no speakers. These have audio out sockets on them. What I want to know is, does the quality reduce between direct connection from ipod to amp as opposed to ipod dock to amp?

People have mentioned squeezebox which is way too expensive for me. They have also mentioned getting a DAC but I don't want to use my laptop at all for playback.

Is there a gap in the market for this?

Apple sells a dock for 2.5k which has a built in attentuator, so the strength of the signal going to the amp improves. It also comes with a remote. You still need to use the 3.5mm to RCA cable though. If you are worried about connection quality, get a good quality cable (I think monster makes a shielded one).

May be I aint understanding it correctly, I have connected my iPod to my philips HTiB using a cable like this

2582.jpg

MDR Electronics - MX Electronics - Home Theater Cables & Connectors - Computers & Laptop Accessories - Pro Audio / Studio Audio Cables & Connectors - Audio Video Components & Accessories - Fiber Optic Component & Accessories - Cable TV Component & Ac

I connected the R/L to my Philips R/L input and play via Aux

Sorry if I understood it wrong

Apple sells a dock for 2.5k which has a built in attentuator, so the strength of the signal going to the amp improves. It also comes with a remote. You still need to use the 3.5mm to RCA cable though. If you are worried about connection quality, get a good quality cable (I think monster makes a shielded one).

Would you be so kind and give me a link to this dock? I can't find it :sad:

You can also go in with Onkyo Docks which would also support ipod Touch, Iphone and would even output video to your Connected display. It would give you the full control over your ipod from a distance throught the remote and display. The link to the said dock is
1. Onkyo Europe - DS-A2X This is the analogue version .
2. Onkyo Europe - ND-S1 This is the digital version and here you can use the DAC of your Marantz 6003.

I had a pretty basic dock with remote -Just AV out ,must be chinese madefor Rs 700 In India appx .US$ 14..

Which ebay you acess in Ireland ? Can you send us a link so that we can search??

I never used ebay. I just bought the universal dock with remote online from a place called Low Priced Hardware. It seems to be good but it was not that cheap. In sterling I think it was about 45 with postage

Hi there,

I got a nice Marantz PM6003 amp the other day and I am very happy with it. The only problem is a lot of my listening is done with ipod. At the moment I have an RCA to aux on the Marantz to a normal jack plug on my ipod. There is no other way to connect the two as far as I can tell (?)

What I want though is seemingly hard to get, a remote controlled dock that has an output to an amp. Something that does not cost the world either.

I have had such trouble I am now thinking of just getting a very basic dock with no speakers. These have audio out sockets on them. What I want to know is, does the quality reduce between direct connection from ipod to amp as opposed to ipod dock to amp?

People have mentioned squeezebox which is way too expensive for me. They have also mentioned getting a DAC but I don't want to use my laptop at all for playback.

Is there a gap in the market for this?

If you have an iPOD touch, you'd be better off using the bluetooth feature with a bluetooth receiver for your AVR. I believe there would be least loss of quality using this method, whereas if we are to use the iPOD dock, this would amplify the signal and the amount of noise/distortion added would greatly depend on the dock. Bluetooth on the otherhand would transmit the signal the way its produced from the iPOD.

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back