Is a Digital room correction necessary above room transition frequency ?

elangoas

I understand from reading articles, that it is up-to the room transition frequency one needs to fix the issue with placement, absorption and apply EQ using room correction..

How important is it to have the ability to apply EQ, above room transition frequency ?.. Is that actually needed ?.. What possible scenarios would demand that ?..

How important is it to have the ability to apply EQ, above room transition frequency ?

Depends on the variation of the in-room FR.

Is that actually needed ?.. What possible scenarios would demand that ?..

If you can't do room treatments and are left with FR anomalies in that range, I don't see that there's much of a choice. A highly reflective, bare room would be the most likely scenario.

Of course, speakers could have their own anomalies in the mids/highs. EQ'ing them would be messing with their tonality in that range, but again, it's a poisoned chalice. The speakers were poor to begin with.

Depends on the variation of the in-room FR.

If you can't do room treatments and are left with FR anomalies in that range, I don't see that there's much of a choice. A highly reflective, bare room would be the most likely scenario.

Of course, speakers could have their own anomalies in the mids/highs. EQ'ing them would be messing with their tonality in that range, but again, it's a poisoned chalice. The speakers were poor to begin with.

Great.. That clears it..

What would classify as a highly reflective room?.. Assuming i have some amount of absorption, but not in form of panels attached to walls?..

What would classify as a highly reflective room?..

One that shows significant variation in-room above the frequency where the room transitions from being reverberant to being reflective ;)

Sorry, but that's basically it. The harder part is figuring out whether it's the speakers or the room, or both. If you can't trust your speakers (anechoic measurements etc.), my understanding is that folks use REW measurements and use "windowing" to look at response prior to room reflections. How room effects are then isolated from speaker anomalies is your homework assignment;)

One that shows significant variation in-room above the frequency where the room transitions from being reverberant to being reflective ;)

Sorry, but that's basically it. The harder part is figuring out whether it's the speakers or the room, or both. If you can't trust your speakers (anechoic measurements etc.), my understanding is that folks use REW measurements and use "windowing" to look at response prior to room reflections. How room effects are then isolated from speaker anomalies is your homework assignment;)

Okay.. So priority is to improve FR below & above transition freq, lot of homework :)

Great.. That clears it..

What would classify as a highly reflective room?.. Assuming i have some amount of absorption, but not in form of panels attached to walls?..
It's not what you have but where and how you have it too. Hint speaker dispersion, what happens in corners etc.
Ciao
GR

It's not what you have but where and how you have it too. Hint speaker dispersion, what happens in corners etc.

Fine.. Lets say, i plan to have absorption in the room to contain some resonance, which will ideally help improve FR.. In addition to the already existing absorption, should one do the room corners too to improve FR?.. By room corners, i mean panels on wall beside speakers & to the sides and not triangular bass traps..

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back