is Blu-Ray also called 1080P Full HD ?

Hi,
It's big topic.
For now it's bit basic idea is for you is codec and container makes difference.
Not all 1080p is Blu-ray,but normal Blu-ray is 1080p.
Do your own read some basics about H264 and AVC.
Hope your are asking about a movie clip which might have both variant when downloading

Last edited:
Bluray is the name of the 'system' that carries the digital signals. Like CD and DVD . CD and DVD use a red laser to read the pits on the disc. Bluray uses a blue laser to read the Bluray disc. 1080p is the term used to describe the quality of the picture. You have 1080p and 1080i. The p stands for progressive and i stands for interlaced signals. The video picture is made up of 1920 ( width ) x 1080 ( height) pixels. So Bluray stands for the 'carrier' of the digital signals ( need not be video !) and 1080p stands for the description of the 'video signal itself'. Please Google for more information. The Net will explain it all in greater detail. Cannot do justice to it in a forum post.

is Blu-Ray and 1080P Full HD the same ? Different names of the same thing ?

Blu-Ray is a successor to DVD, just like how DVD replacesd VCD.. BR Discs are storage medium for media consumption and it can hold audio & video in different capacities from HD to 4K.. 1080p / FHD is one such video standard..

Blue-ray is refers to blue laser to read the data from high capacity discs which named as bluray ray disk.

Similarly red laser used to read data from DVDs(4.7gb single side n single layer) n CDs.

Any kind of data from pictures(jpeg, png...etc), songs( mp3, flac,mp4 .....etc) movies (mov,dat,Mkv,m2ts...etc) or data(text type) can be written on above media.

Again above discs available in single layer , double layer, double sided to increase the storage capacity.

Coming to 1080(p/i)...its a mode of picture rendering on display unit whether it's interlaced or progressive scan.
As high definition content needs more space to accommodate , here bluray disc comes into picture where it can be stored 51gb or more. At the same time source bluray laser requires to read the data at high speed from the disk.

As our FMs said....please go through below topics on Wikipedia....of any available source...
CD,DVD,BLURAY discs, 1080p, 1080i, high definition picture n sound.......

Thanks.

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back