Is CNET/ What hifi too much apple biased or are they talking facts?

• Thread starter Deleted member 45006
  • Start date
I am skeptical of xiaomis marketing strategy

I think it is a bad joke. All this queue round the block and buy the first stock at 6.00am when all one needs to do, two days later, is walk in the shop, is ridiculous, and, as you say, it is an exercise in hype.

This one is worse, because we can't even "walk into the shop" and buy it two or three days later: they are repeating the same game.

Two things particularly worry me about buying a new-model phone like this...

1. If this is how they sell them, how will service be?

2. Performance and reliability is unknown.

I think everybody should forget xiami for minimum three months. If, by this time, orders are not being taken and supplied normally, and there are no reliability/service complaints, buy! Because it looks good!

Just two not-so-bad things here:

1. They are not taking money for orders they can't fulfil.

2. They didn't crowd-fund the things and take money before they even made them :lol:

If, by this time, orders are [not] being taken and supplied normally, and there are no reliability/service complaints, buy! Because it looks good!

Whoops! Please read above sentence without the "not." Looks like my brain changed sense half way. It's too late to edit.

OS X is based on Unix, right? So is Apple's genius that they took one of the most flexible operating systems in the world and made it inflexible?

The only time I had doubts was when I saw the travel photos a friend of mine had taken on her iPhone. However, the fact that my phone camera is crap is the fault of Motorola, not the fault of Android.

People say that Apple stuff just works, which is indeed a great advantage. How many times have I screamed, when working with Windows and Windows software, "Why can't it just work? Aaaarggh!" Too many; far too many. But my Android phone (with a lousy camera) just works too, and where it doesn't, it is probably something that I messed around with and messed up, and I (like you gobble?) like having the freedom to do that.

But there's one thing, and it is an appropriate thing for us: all the serious music apps are for Apple. I do think that Apple have put a lot more effort into audio.

Can't say all apple are trouble free. M one of those unfortunates. My MacBook Pro from late 2011, has a cd drive which broke in a years time. I never played any scratches cd or manhandled it ever. But it just keeps ejecting the CDs out! Also, the memory card slot stopped working a month later.. I ignored both of these, as both happened outside warranty period, and had work arounds. This year, it started restarting, and apple said it would take around 50k to fix it by replacing the motherboard. !! I checked mac forums and found hundreds having the same problem. Apple too doesn't last always. Though, my other apple devices works flawlessly, including an iphone 5 which never hung up even once in two years time.

Naa, naaa ...
"My" take on apple will be like this - an Analogy. (ok this is why "I" hate apple).

"I" have Purchased a Gas Stove.
For your kind information this has a special "Port" which plugs in, into various utensils, for example,cooker, kadai, pan ... List_of_food_preparation_utensils). And to use any of this utensils on this gas stove, the manufactuers are supposed to pay $5 as "apple TAX". and once this is approved , and is available in the apple market, you and "I" can purchase this utensils.

So..... ,"I" got a cooker too.

My wifeee say she wants to prepare khichdi, so I go out and get water,Rice,dal, salt, 2 Steel Plates(high side walls) ,Spoons.

Now wifeee start cooking, Starts the Gas stove, put all ingrediants in the cooker and leaves it to cook and we watch Avatar on my Home Theater.

20 minutes pass by
SURPRISE!!!!.
you know what, the cooker is "Off" - which is connected to a special port on the stove.

Why! , you ask "Me"!

Because , You have NOT used apple Approved "water",
apple Approved "gas ligher",
apple Approved "Rice",
apple Approved "dal" ,
apple Approved "ghee",
apple Approved "salt",
apple Approved "Bowl" to wash the rice,
apple Approved "Lip Guard" ( your food prepared will not taste good),
apple Approved "mouth wash" ( your food prepared will not taste good),
apple Approved "spoons" ( your food will not go into mouth in the right proportion),
apple Approved "costers",

This is the reason the Gas Stove will get damaged and not perform as intended.

This is apple's business premises.

This was my take on Apple ( in reply to ... well, pl ignore the link,as we all know its off the beaten path - so copy pasting here)

Still Holds good to me, to stay away from.

Can't say all apple are trouble free. .
My office macbook is terrible. Slow like a 1996 windows PC. Adding 8gb of ram didnt help.

This came in my G+ today. Thought it was relevant.

skmUpp.jpg

My office macbook is terrible. Slow like a 1996 windows PC. Adding 8gb of ram didnt help.

This came in my G+ today. Thought it was relevant.

skmUpp.jpg

Mine is still not slow, I always felt, the OS really optimised to give a feel that it's more 'stable' always. Being a part time photographer, m finding it quite difficult to work on my wife's laptop which is a samsung i7 with the same resolution on screen. For my needs apple's screen was a must. ( the color tones are better in my opinion, at least this time.. Not from cnet!!) now m thinking of getting a new one and I m left with no options other than getting another mac. The other option I considered was a 1080p Lenovo but on side by side comparison, skin tones were pinkish on that. Of course Lenovo or any other option with a screen connected would make a difference, but m not so convinced that, some months back, on comparing with my lg led tv at home in Kerala, and a Samsung led I had in chennai, the quality was day and night. Also portability matters. So again yet another apple, this time with extended warranty;)

But I started this thread on discussing audio quality, optical audio out is a good feature. Mac's 96khz supporting dac is decent but there are lots better audio from other brands on laptops. With fiio e7 there IS A DIFFERENECE,unlike many claim it didn't make much DIFFERENECE For them. Also, but as of now, I don't know if what hifi or cnet is right on the phone's sound output. I didn't had a chance to compare it with other phones directly. But I always wish it was as good as my olden days ipod mini with wolfson(hope somebody remembers that ! )

Last edited by a moderator:
I have been using a Nexus 7 for a couple of years. It is good, but I really wished it was in the 4:3 format.

You can consider the Xiaomi MiPad. It is in the 4:3 format and is probably one of the best value for money product you can get (IF you can figure out the shipping part, I guess).

I finally succumbed. Ordered it from ebay for 21k inr for the 16GB.
It was exasperating to think about waiting for a launch till Diwali ... like waiting in a queue of pregnant women for an ultrasound (me pregnant with desire :eek: ).
And then for Xiaomi to engineer another Flipkart fiasco like for the Mi3, and not get it because the sale got over in 5 mins

I figured the local Chinese price of 1499Yuan or 240USD would actually be 280USD when launched in India or 17K. I decided paying a premium of 4K for "terminating my pregnancy" was worth it. :D It was even better than a day care out-patient experience sitting at my terminal on ebay. :licklips:

G0bble

Last edited:
Yipee! The two year wait is over...
I am loving it! :eek:hyeah: better than an iPad mini retina in every possible way from hardware specs smoothness, speed, touch response, and color gamut (almost 100% sRGB versus 60% of the overhyped apple) with wqxga+ resolution... [emoji7] [emoji7] [emoji7] [emoji8]

Sent from my miPad

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back