Is hiring a AV consultant a good choice?

Depends on how much you will be spending. People here can guide you no problem but if you are spending serious money > 2lacs consider getting yourself a Consultant

If this was a 2 Channel job, I would do it for free...
However, your budget is way too small.
I generally 'advise' on 5L ++ jobs at least.

None the less, do look for more options before you decide on any consultant - his personal knowledge & experience in the field along with credibility is important.
All the Best !
:)

Assume acoustic treatment will be done only for the HT room and setup for 3 bedrooms will be identical.

So you need 3 setups for dedicated, living and bedrooms.

I am sure that by reading the various threads in this forum and with the help of suggestions by forum members, your bedroom setup can be sorted out.
And maybe, even your living room as well. Professional help is definitely recommended for the HT room. Scope for this is best decided by you.

Go about this in stages, maybe start with the bedroom setup. Calibration is definitely recommended for the TVs and I am sure that this can be carried out as a separate order with professionals (In Muscat, they charge equivalent of US$60 per TV and this service is not available with TV dealers!). Calibration for audio can probably be done by yourself using a simple Radio Shack SPL meter.

Make up your mind... and do keep us posted.

Hiring a consultant is always a good option provided you hire the right consultant!!! (after all Consulting is my profession though its in IT). Apart from the points Venkat rightly put, a consultant will help you focus on the important aspects and will provide the best way of creating a system that mates with each other.

I would rather ensure the dedicated room is acoustically well designed than buying a mega monster amp (fancy brand), bcos I can always buy a better amp later but re-designing a room is messy, costly, and totally nerve exploding experience.

If you can find a practical consultant who is knowledgeable you can hire him. You can always ask HFV if the suggestions made by him/her is good.

I will stay away from any consultant who says "2% of equipment cost" no I will run away...90% he will sell what you dont need.

I would prefer someone who comes home, understands your need, and then says xxxxx is my charge for this and once we design it, you can buy and give me or I can help you buy them!

A consultant is like an architect, the decision is also similar and so are the headaches!

Thanks again guys,
what i have understood from ur suggestions is that i should hire an AV consultant but pay him a lumpsum amount and not on %age basis....so will ask the consultant to visit first and then decide ......btw ny1 with a past experience with "Ad notam" Av consultant located at Andheri (W).....

If you are building a seperate home theater room in your house then consultant can help you to design the room for the better sound considering room acoustics..etc. The problem is to find the right consultant.

But if you have knowledge on setup then you might do yourself. Its like hiring the driver even though you know driving ... for quick setup and installation.

As per my opinion this is not rocket science so you can do yourself by learning ..only thing it takes time.

Last edited:
if you use a good dealer he will give his professional inputs for free just because he is selling you the product. but you need to go to a good dealer

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back