Good Sound consultant suggestion

raj Indukuri

HI All,

I am looking to setup a 2.1 system dedicated to listening to music. Budget for system 5-6 lacs.

I am looking for a consultant who can help me with that. I need just a consultant not a dealer.

I am looking for some acoustic help, brand suggestions and designing the setup based on the room size and listening distance.

I will be procuring the products completely myself after my own research about the product and the pricing.

so if any consultant is interested please message me personally or on the thread.

Audiophiles please suggest me a good consultant.

I will pay the consultation charges and flight tickets.

please get in touch lets discuss.

regards,
raj

Last edited:
Such an endeavor is fraught with risk of disappointment, but I applaud your openness to guidance. Irrespective of claims, in the end, audio satisfaction is personal. People are quite different. If you think of it as analogous to food and reframe your inquiry a bit, your chances of succeeding will increase. In those terms, we understand that you wish to have food and perhaps even a certain quantity of food, but we do not know what you like. Professional system engineers design for levels and coverage in particular spaces, and specify systems to achieve those goals. The more you can understand what you like (and dislike) in advance, the easier will be the job. It's okay if you don't know what you like--start with the simple things. How big, how low, and how loud. Even the "easy" technical requirements (do you need airplay or bluetooth, etc?) are variables from person to person. If you require domestic approval of sizes or locations, you will save everyone time & effort to establish any limitations up-front. Good luck and please keep us posted on your progress if you feel inclined to do so.

Such an endeavor is fraught with risk of disappointment, but I applaud your openness to guidance. Irrespective of claims, in the end, audio satisfaction is personal. People are quite different. If you think of it as analogous to food and reframe your inquiry a bit, your chances of succeeding will increase. In those terms, we understand that you wish to have food and perhaps even a certain quantity of food, but we do not know what you like. Professional system engineers design for levels and coverage in particular spaces, and specify systems to achieve those goals. The more you can understand what you like (and dislike) in advance, the easier will be the job. It's okay if you don't know what you like--start with the simple things. How big, how low, and how loud. Even the "easy" technical requirements (do you need airplay or bluetooth, etc?) are variables from person to person. If you require domestic approval of sizes or locations, you will save everyone time & effort to establish any limitations up-front. Good luck and please keep us posted on your progress if you feel inclined to do so.
hi Grind stone,

I listen Techno, commercial EDM, hiphop & Bollywood that pretty much sums it up.

Thanks, Raj, that helps a little. We can surmise that you need low-low bass (and the power for it). If your space is small, a given set of equipment will not produce the same level of the lowest frequencies that would be possible in a larger room. It may be that what you seek to do is quite difficult (or easier, room-depending). If you are interested in this, you can use the room simulator tool in the freely-downloadable REW software to explore simple rectangular shapes of arbitrary sizes and get a feel for that.

For that matter, if you are interested in skimming more considerations of the whole topic, you might do worse than searching for the sound system design manual by JBL (unable to provide direct factory link, but links for the 1999 pdf are readily discoverable). You need not read it but just notice some of the things involved to aid your own process with whomever you choose to work with. In fact, that might be the best place to start so you can see the sort of questions that will be coming at you (and why).

What we can say is that making a lot of very low bass will not be a tiny package. If you want it the smoothest it can be at various listening positions, you will benefit from multiple sources of low-frequencies. OTOH, if your listening will be in a fixed position for comparatively few people, you may not need the extra expense & complexity (but more sources of low-lows will always aid uniformity given sane placement--ie not all in one or two locations). It may be worth planning that in for someone frequently playing EDM & hip-hop (ie, your .1 might become a .4 or at least a .2). If that's a deal-breaker, it's good to know up-front. If you listen primarily in one location and don't much care about how it sounds 10 feet away, you can stay simpler. Tradeoffs. All systems are compromises. The idea is to flesh-out your own priorities. The approaches will fall-out from that.

As a last thought, if you have close neighbors and you like louder levels, you may choose (need) to sacrifice some low-frequencies to maintain social harmony. People truly do have widely varying needs. Yours may be obvious to you, but they wont be to whomever you are working with.

hi grindstone

sorry for the delay in replying I am travelling on work.

I understand that know I need to identify my sound signature what I enjoy the most.
about sound stage I need to study and hear further.. it honestly is a lot of stuff but I have some decent time and I will hopefully understand better than today.

coming to the room size its big and I have different listening locations and it can lead to complexities. I am attaching the room drawing. the room is 25 * 40. And black circles in the drawing represent the speaker location. when they're a lot of guests and do entertain a lot of guests at times. I want it to be adaptable to such requirements and I ideally I want the music to be present all along. I am not sure it can't be achieved with 2.1 set up. I have a budget around 5-6 lacs. 3 for speakers, 2 for amp and 1 for sub.
regarding neighbours I need to worry about my below and above residents in the apartment. no issues with the music passing through walls.
and I plan on using Mass Loaded Vinyl for flooring and ceiling. flooring I need to confirm with vendor not sure if it is effective under seat concrete.

please have look at the attached room dimensions.

regards,
Raj

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-06-06 at 11.23.09 PM.png
    Screenshot 2023-06-06 at 11.23.09 PM.png
    89.2 KB · Views: 32
hi grindstone

sorry for the delay in replying I am travelling on work.

I understand that know I need to identify my sound signature what I enjoy the most.
about sound stage I need to study and hear further.. it honestly is a lot of stuff but I have some decent time and I will hopefully understand better than today.

coming to the room size its big and I have different listening locations and it can lead to complexities. I am attaching the room drawing. the room is 25 * 40. And black circles in the drawing represent the speaker location. when they're a lot of guests and do entertain a lot of guests at times. I want it to be adaptable to such requirements and I ideally I want the music to be present all along. I am not sure it can't be achieved with 2.1 set up. I have a budget around 5-6 lacs. 3 for speakers, 2 for amp and 1 for sub.
regarding neighbours I need to worry about my below and above residents in the apartment. no issues with the music passing through walls.
and I plan on using Mass Loaded Vinyl for flooring and ceiling. flooring I need to confirm with vendor not sure if it is effective under seat concrete.

please have look at the attached room dimensions.

regards,
Raj

From my novice and limited experience, it appears you will need to up your budget for subs, for such a large room and for techno you will need large dual subs.

So your system will be more like a 2.2.

And going by your diagram, your choice of speaker placement seems pretty odd, I guess that can be negated with acoustic panels.

I also guess that with floor standers, they will cover significant ground on the low end.

Also you not getting a DAC or streamer? A 6 lac system deserves a good source.

My noob suggested budget breakdown:

Speaks - 1.5 lac
Subs - 1.5 lac
Amp - 1.5 lac
Dac - 1 lac

+- 50k on subs or amp or speaks

Its very early but i am thinking of
Focal 936, focal sub 1000f with naim uniti atom. This is listed on hifimart and other online websites around 8.7 lacs and i am expecting atleast 25% to 30% discount based on my research on focal prices. It comes around 6 to 6.5 and i am not sure yet but one package i can think of. I hvae few months to reserch before my pad opens up so my options will probably change

Thanks, Raj. Okay, this is what I think I'm seeing (grid about 5 ft/div). Is this close (and do you know ceiling height)?

If you do nab that old manual, skim Ch 5-7.

Attachments

• rajs_room_grid_shd_062423.png
    rajs_room_grid_shd_062423.png
    202.8 KB · Views: 18
Hi,
yes the grid is spot on. I changed the speaker position I positioned it wrongly in my first drawing.
please refer to the the new red circles for speaker position and ignore the ones in black.
also I want to achieve two listening positions L1 and L2. L1 at around 11 feet from speaker and L2 at 18 feet.
is it possible to achieve the same by changing the angels as and when required?

I found the manual will go through it and get back with improved knowledge.

thanks for your time. please find the attached picture.

Attachments

• rajs_room_grid_shd_062423.png
    rajs_room_grid_shd_062423.png
    236.1 KB · Views: 16
would you want to consider an active wireless speaker like KEF with 2 subs ?
This will be far more simpler and since it will eliminate cables you might be able to place the speakers 90deg from their current position ie their backs towards the longer part of the room hence removing any bass issues. the speakers . You avoid any cables other than the power cables ?
I am assuming you are streaming hence you can add any streaming device to the same.

You could plan to sit perhaps 1-2 m from the wall and the speakers 3-4 m from you .....My guess is it will be afar more simpler system

most important is that you like the sound signature of the KEF...

You need not work the manual (unless it's fun, of course). Suggested it because the space is large and to readjust perspective to that of sound-reinforcement, if only temporarily. This is the last perspective most "audio people" apply. It's a perturbation for your head as you consider what you want for uniformity of levels in "normal" or "entertainment" functions--and one that doesn't include the room as an afterthought to be treated later. You can go in any direction you choose. It's a large space. My intent is to foster consideration of what you want to hear when you are in various locations. The current incarnation is much like a central array and, at the opposite corners, will sound more like "speakers over there" vs. more uniformly distributed sound even at low levels. Either is fine, the idea is to avoid surprises.

Attachments

• rajs_room_newLoc_062423.png
    rajs_room_newLoc_062423.png
    333.2 KB · Views: 14
would you want to consider an active wireless speaker like KEF with 2 subs ?
This will be far more simpler and since it will eliminate cables you might be able to place the speakers 90deg from their current position ie their backs towards the longer part of the room hence removing any bass issues. the speakers . You avoid any cables other than the power cables ?
I am assuming you are streaming hence you can add any streaming device to the same.

You could plan to sit perhaps 1-2 m from the wall and the speakers 3-4 m from you .....My guess is it will be afar more simpler system

most important is that you like the sound signature of the KEF...
Hi arj
I haven't considered wireless till now. looks like an option considering given the room size and functionality. KEF LS 60 are retailed at 9.6 lacs in India. KEF ls50 could be an option but I need few more brand suggestions with wireless can spend around 3-4 lacs pair speaker pair.

I read great reviews about KEF LS60 but out of budget.

Got it..the advantage of wireless is that it can get the best benefit of placement in your room. a combination of the LS50 +pair of their KC62 subs will easily substitute the LS60. and since its all in one no more cables other than a power cord and a subwoofer connection is needed . having no speaker cables/interconnects in a room is a blessing.

The reason i suggested it is that your current placement has one speaker near a corner and the other near the wall both of which will mess up the sound for the speakers you are looking in your budget

Is it an option to place the speakers near the shorter wall instead of along the longer ? you can place them 2 m from rear wall wti the usual 6-8 feet between them.

The naim unity is a wonderful all in one. Another great speaker which can go with it would be the Fyne Audio 502 or if you can stretch a 501 and you will have a very good combo and since you will not need a sub with this speaker in this placement . I prefer Fynes to most speakers

Hi arj
I haven't considered wireless till now. looks like an option considering given the room size and functionality. KEF LS 60 are retailed at 9.6 lacs in India. KEF ls50 could be an option but I need few more brand suggestions with wireless can spend around 3-4 lacs pair speaker pair.

I read great reviews about KEF LS60 but out of budget.

I had come across a reddit thread where a user was very disappointed after upgrading from floorstanders to LS50 in his large room

kef_ls50_meta_a_disappointment

Audio is so subjective unfortunately the only truth is hearing it yourselves as what someone else hates, someone se can love

Got it..the advantage of wireless is that it can get the best benefit of placement in your room. a combination of the LS50 +pair of their KC62 subs will easily substitute the LS60. and since its all in one no more cables other than a power cord and a subwoofer connection is needed . having no speaker cables/interconnects in a room is a blessing.

The reason i suggested it is that your current placement has one speaker near a corner and the other near the wall both of which will mess up the sound for the speakers you are looking in your budget

Is it an option to place the speakers near the shorter wall instead of along the longer ? you can place them 2 m from rear wall wti the usual 6-8 feet between them.

The naim unity is a wonderful all in one. Another great speaker which can go with it would be the Fyne Audio 502 or if you can stretch a 501 and you will have a very good combo and since you will not need a sub with this speaker in this placement . I prefer Fynes to most speakers
LS 60 has the best point source configuration available at its budget. Even though ls50 and kc62 has dual opposing woofer configuration, its impossible to keep the sub at the same position where the woofers are on the ls60. Ls60 therefore fits the higher end Kef philosophy like the blades more than ls50+kc62.

Anyway Kef engineers lives in their own bubble of ideal Sound idea. It’s easy to dislike even their highest end offering if you cannot digest what they mean by the coherence of the coaxials. Coaxials has its own set of problems. I live a Kef and I am not always impressed with them. One day it sounds stunning, and on the next track it’s horrible. 😖

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back