Budget upgrade from 5.1 to 5.1.2

dipdawiz

Hello Forum Members,

After a long time browsing around the forum, this time looking for a budget upgrade of my 5.1 system to 5.1.2 system. I have wrote about my HT room here https://www.hifivision.com/threads/a-compact-ht.65549. Now for easy reference - I currently have a Denon 1713 and Polk 5.1 speakers (TSi series) in a approx 11x10ft dedicated HT room, which served me well for last 8-9 years. Now with easy availability of Dolby Atomos contents, heart says to upgrade. Being my HT in a small room and 3 seating options, I am not too keen on very high end setup, just a basic 5.1.2 Dolby Atmos setup would do.

I am looking for suggestion from esteemed forum members for a budget (in my mind around 50~60k, lower is better) AVR that supports 5.1.2 with India warranty and support(specially in Bangalore). I would be grateful if you can suggest reliable store and approx price and which brand - model AVR should I choose??

Hello Forum Members,

After a long time browsing around the forum, this time looking for a budget upgrade of my 5.1 system to 5.1.2 system. I have wrote about my HT room here https://www.hifivision.com/threads/a-compact-ht.65549. Now for easy reference - I currently have a Denon 1713 and Polk 5.1 speakers (TSi series) in a approx 11x10ft dedicated HT room, which served me well for last 8-9 years. Now with easy availability of Dolby Atomos contents, heart says to upgrade. Being my HT in a small room and 3 seating options, I am not too keen on very high end setup, just a basic 5.1.2 Dolby Atmos setup would do.

I am looking for suggestion from esteemed forum members for a budget (in my mind around 50~60k, lower is better) AVR that supports 5.1.2 with India warranty and support(specially in Bangalore). I would be grateful if you can suggest reliable store and approx price and which brand - model AVR should I choose??
avr check denon x1700 or 1800. Or maranz

Check
Hello Forum Members,

Check Pioneer VSX-834 - Cinebels is the distributor and they have showrooms in Bangalore. Comes with 18 month warranty also

Hello Forum Members,

as @Phani24 said x1700, 1800, and 2800 will be a great buy. If you are going with budget options, consider the Onkyo SR494 or Yamaha

avr check denon x1700 or 1800. Or maranz
as @Phani24 said x1700, 1800, and 2800 will be a great buy. If you are going with budget options, consider the Onkyo SR494 or Yamaha
I guess Denon x1700 could be out of my budget if I go for new. Any idea how much they are going for? ProFx showing around 1L. Is that the price, any other dealer/showroom can I check for price?

Onkyo SR494, would check out, need suggestions where can I audition in Bangalore.

Marantz 1711 could be an option, also need to know authorised seller in Bangalore.

Check

Check Pioneer VSX-834 - Cinebels is the distributor and they have showrooms in Bangalore. Comes with 18 month warranty also
Thanks, would check out with Cinebels. Any idea how much it is approximately?

I guess Denon x1700 could be out of my budget if I go for new. Any idea how much they are going for? ProFx showing around 1L. Is that the price, any other dealer/showroom can I check for price?

Onkyo SR494, would check out, need suggestions where can I audition in Bangalore.

Marantz 1711 could be an option, also need to know authorised seller in Bangalore.

I don't think 1700 will cost one lakh. 3800 is selling 1.25L in Hifimart, so 1L for 1700 is too much. Maybe you can check with some other dealers; you will get it around 50–60k, i think. I don't know the dealers, but recently I saw a post here where someone brought 1700 for a resanable rate. or go with a used one.

Hmm... I checked some of them, got an seller "AV Squad" from Mumbai, has decent seller rating. Asked questions about warranty and support, he claims these are officially imported with GST bill and should be serviced all over India. Still, online thing, little worried. Have to research a bit more. Do you have any experience or suggestions about any specific seller? Or any way to verify/check genuineness?

MRP is around 70k I think so you should be able to get it for much lower. That includes the 18 month warranty. Modern World in Bangalore at Barton Center also does Onkyo

Hmm... I checked some of them, got an seller "AV Squad" from Mumbai, has decent seller rating. Asked questions about warranty and support, he claims these are officially imported with GST bill and should be serviced all over India. Still, online thing, little worried. Have to research a bit more. Do you have any experience or suggestions about any specific seller? Or any way to verify/check genuineness?
check avshack i contacted them once .

i think denon x 1700 is under your budget. In between 55 to 65 you will get it

Denon X1700H is going for 48k in AV Shack, check this out - Denon X1700H - Av Shack. But here in AV Store the same is listed for 1 lakh, I don't know why there is such a big difference, so enquire with both of them and let us know if there is any caveat with the lower priced one.

Last edited:
Please negotiate with the local brick & mortar shops. Can easily fetch around 30-40% less on MRP on Denon models. Consider buying Yamaha, Pioneer & Onkyo too.

i think denon x 1700 is under your budget. In between 55 to 65 you will get it
MRP is around 70k I think so you should be able to get it for much lower. That includes the 18 month warranty. Modern World in Bangalore at Barton Center also does Onkyo
I don't think 1700 will cost one lakh. 3800 is selling 1.25L in Hifimart, so 1L for 1700 is too much. Maybe you can check with some other dealers; you will get it around 50–60k, i think. I don't know the dealers, but recently I saw a post here where someone brought 1700 for a resanable rate. or go with a used one.

Had a call with ProFx some time back, they do not have x1700H, but selling x1800H and they are quoting around 85k and some trade in price for my old 1713 for 5K... which is little higher than I would like to spend.

Could not find in search about any recent buy of 1700 in the forum or any reference of shops in Bangalore.

Would like to know some of the reliable brick-n-mortar store names in Bangalore, so that I can check with them. Modern World and Cinebels in the list, but any thing else?

While I am looking for some deal on 5.1.2 AVR, I have got a question, I am entirely dependent on the fact that (from Amazon site) 3rd Gen Fire Tv stick (released in 2022 I guess, currently available) which is full HD and says support dolby atmos from all major streaming apps (so would be working from Kodi as well). Because my projector would still be 1080p. Is there any limitation or point to think before I buy this new AVR? Like, to play dolby atmos I need display/projector to be 4k also? My connection is fire tv stick connected to AVR and hdmi out to Epson 1080p projector.

Please weigh-in your opinion.

Link to Fire tv stick page I am talking about https://amzn.in/d/2b0E00V

Last edited:
While I am looking for some deal on 5.1.2 AVR, I have got a question, I am entirely dependent on the fact that (from Amazon site) 3rd Gen Fire Tv stick (released in 2022 I guess, currently available) which is full HD and says support dolby atmos from all major streaming apps (so would be working from Kodi as well). Because my projector would still be 1080p. Is there any limitation or point to think before I buy this new AVR? Like, to play dolby atmos I need display/projector to be 4k also? My connection is fire tv stick connected to AVR and hdmi out to Epson 1080p projector.

No - Atmos has to do with the audio processing so as long as the AVR supports Atmos you should be fine. Nothing to do with the projector.

AFAIK, the AV receiver will be sending the highest quality signals that it is getting to your equipments.
So, you have to provide a 4k Dolby atmos source to a capable AV receiver for it to send 4K resolution video to your screen and Atmos sound to your speakers. If your screen/projector is incapable of playing 4k then it will play in the available resolution. And if your AV receiver is receiving atmos sound mix(say 7 or 9 channels) then it will play atmos provided you have the number of speakers for it.

Marantz 1711 is a good budget option for 5.1.2. I had purchased it from Hifimart for 75k last Sept, but now it's available for 60k. I would recommend you to consider it.

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back