Is it good or bad to play DVDs in BR players?

Donivlapog

Hi everybody,

I have a collection of almost 100 FHD BR English titles and about 38 3D BR titles too. I bought them at sale price (<1000 each), and when prices were unbelievable or collection of film franchise (3 or more films in one which would average to less than 1000 each) however these days BR discs are not cheap anymore and I have started thinking wth let's start collecting DVDs if real cheap.
Here are two or three points I wish to consider

1) video quality - DVDs are not going to help after having watched BR quality.
2) the red laser will get activated and when the blue laser and red are alternated, will my PS4 and or Sony BD player get worn out sooner
3) are the DVDs found online like from Amazon or Flipkart genuine? Can they be pirated? Cus BR discs are never pirated - that's a guarantee I can assure myself. (i am a straight arrow - piracy will make my conscience cringe)

Last edited:
Hi everybody,

I have a collection of almost 100 FHD BR English titles and about 38 3D BR titles too. I bought them at sale price (<1000 each), and when prices were unbelievable or collection of film franchise (3 or more films in one which would average to less than 1000 each) however these days BR discs are not cheap anymore and I have started thinking wth let's start collecting DVDs if real cheap.
Here are two or three points I wish to consider

1) video quality - DVDs are not going to help after having watched BR quality.
2) the red laser will get activated and when the blue laser and red are alternated, will my PS4 and or Sony BD player get worn out sooner
3) are the DVDs found online like from Amazon or Flipkart genuine? Can they be pirated? Cus BR discs are never pirated - that's a guarantee I can assure myself. (i am a straight arrow - piracy will make my conscience cringe)

I play DVDs and even some downloaded files (got many then almost 8 years back BR quality) and they work just fine. I use a Oppo BD 103.

BR players are designed to be used with DVDs also. With DVDs you will get 1080P that is not bad. As mentioned by @efernand1, some BR players can also play digital files. There is absolutely no issues with playing DVDs, Audio CDs on BR players.

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back