Is it okay to buy second hand AVR?

Wi
Entry level AVRs costs closure to your budget
Denon AVR-X250BT costs around 35k. but Entry level Avrs are 5.1 only.
It will be good enough to start with...
Later when you have budget consider upgrade to atmos or more channel AVR
Is entry level AVR like Denon AVR-X250BT, Yamaha YHT-1840 is good enough to decode amazon prime, Netflix, hotstar as well AC3, DTS, truehd etc sound formats?
Will they also support HDR, Dolby Vision?

Wi

Is entry level AVR like Denon AVR-X250BT, Yamaha YHT-1840 is good enough to decode amazon prime, Netflix, hotstar as well AC3, DTS, truehd etc sound formats?
They both support dts,truehd and hdr but doesn't support dolby vision and dolby atmos. Denon 550bt support dolby vision

Wi

Entry level AVRS will not have issue with Netflix ,Amazon prime, and hotstar with DTS decoding.
I don't think so Entry level AVRs will support HDR/Dolby vision.
You may bypass this by connecting HDMI to TV directly(if using external media player) -so TV can do HDR/Dolby vision and use optical cable to get DTS sound.

Video upscaling/enhancing features in AVR generally not much effective , there's not much difference i am noticing.
It make sense to bypass video through AVR only if you want to switch Video input sources through AVR itself.
Otherwise TV itself does very good job of Video upscaling/enhancing features, you would not need AVR's video enhancing features at all.
Now a days most smart tvs have in built APPs then u will be sending only audio signals to AVR. I dont think u can send video signal from smart tv's in built apps to AVR, except if using external media player it's possible.

Since your budget is limited this is the best way to go for it.

Entry level AVRS will not have issue with Netflix ,Amazon prime, and hotstar with DTS decoding.
I don't think so Entry level AVRs will support HDR/Dolby vision.
You may bypass this by connecting HDMI to TV directly(if using external media player) -so TV can do HDR/Dolby vision and use optical cable to get DTS sound.

Video upscaling/enhancing features in AVR generally not much effective , there's not much difference i am noticing.
It make sense to bypass video through AVR only if you want to switch Video input sources through AVR itself.
Otherwise TV itself does very good job of Video upscaling/enhancing features, you would not need AVR's video enhancing features at all.
Now a days most smart tvs have in built APPs then u will be sending only audio signals to AVR. I dont think u can send video signal from smart tv's in built apps to AVR, except if using external media player it's possible.

Since your budget is limited this is the best way to go for it.
Just to understand,

in my case I dont have any external player. Everything is played on TV (amazon prime, downloaded files via Kodi).
And the TV (Hisense A71F 55inch) has one HDMI arc port (if I am not wrong)
So I just hook the HDMI arc to receiver? and receiver will process audio ?
I also have an Xbox Series X (which does have dolby Vision enabled and TV does play games with Dolby Vision), how will I get Xbox sound via reciever?

Sorry to hijack the thread.

Just to understand,

in my case I dont have any external player. Everything is played on TV (amazon prime, downloaded files via Kodi).
I also have an Xbox Series X (which does have dolby Vision enabled and TV does play games with Dolby Vision), how will I get Xbox sound via reciever?

You have to connect your xbox to tv via hdmi(dolby vision works since both your tv and xbox supports). optical audio out from tv to av receiver for sound.

Just to understand,

You can get xbox sound via both hdmi and optical cable.

Because of lack of HDR /Dolby vision support from Entry level AVR, (Send video directly to TV , not via AVR)
Connect XBOX HDMI--> HDMI cable--> TV. connect via HDMI non arc.
Connect XBOX optical out -> Optical digital cable --> AVR optical IN.
Just you need to change xbox one x audio out settings to --> optical out.

Or
Connect XBOX HDMI--> HDMI cable--> TV . Connect via HDMI non arc.
If your TV have optical out, Connect TV optical out -> Optical digital cable --> AVR optical IN.
And keep xbox one x audio out settings to --> HDMI.
(This way works best for all your input sources to TV and TV in built apps)

I have connected my xbox one x in the same way where one of my oldest AVR does not even have HDMI inputs :) and it works great for sound.

If you are using TV's in built APPs then u can still use optical cable connection from tv to send audio to AVR.
Then forget about dolby vision /hdr support from AVR since your tv is only going to do HDR/Dolby vision directly from your apps.

As stated above using TV's optical out will be best optimal to use across all connected devices.

Last edited:
You can get xbox sound via both hdmi and optical cable.

Because of lack of HDR /Dolby vision support from Entry level AVR, (Send video directly to TV , not via AVR)
Connect XBOX HDMI--> HDMI cable--> TV. connect via HDMI non arc.
Connect XBOX optical out -> Optical digital cable --> AVR optical IN.
Just you need to change xbox one x audio out settings to --> optical out.

Or
Connect XBOX HDMI--> HDMI cable--> TV . Connect via HDMI non arc.
If your TV have optical out, Connect TV optical out -> Optical digital cable --> AVR optical IN.
And keep xbox one x audio out settings to --> HDMI.
(This way works best for all your input sources to TV and TV in built apps)

I have connected my xbox one x in the same way where one of my oldest AVR does not even have HDMI inputs :) and it works great for sound.

If you are using TV's in built APPs then u can still use optical cable connection from tv to send audio to AVR.
Then forget about dolby vision /hdr support from AVR since your tv is only going to do HDR/Dolby vision directly from your apps.

As stated above using TV's optical out will be best optimal to use across all connected devices.
Got it.
As you stated option 2 is optimal and may be the only way as Xbox Series X do not have optical out.
I still don't have an AVR, but wanted to know my options before I jump in.

Just to understand,

I have the same TV. You can connect the AVR to HDMI 1 (ARC) and the Xbox to HDMI 2. When you switch to HDMI 2 to play games, the sound will be transmitted to AVR through HDMI 1 ARC port. That's how I have connected my Nvidia Shield.

Maybe a slightly older model (new old stock - NOS) may be a good middle of the road option ?

Got it.
As you stated option 2 is optimal and may be the only way as Xbox Series X do not have optical out.
I still don't have an AVR, but wanted to know my options before I jump in.
xbox one x have optical out too...
Instead of using xbox one-x optical out, we can use TV's optical out , so any sources connected to TV can send audio out to AVR through optical out. Also it will work for Tv's in built apps. By this way its more convenient...

Or connecting HDMI Arc also will do the job/ assuming it will not touch the video part and send only the audio signal, else your HDR/dolby vision will be affected.

Basically we are trying to bypass the video processing from AVR/ hence it will not have affect on HDR/dolby vision.

Hope you got it.

Last edited:
xbox one x have optical out too...
Instead of using xbox one-x optical out, we can use TV's optical out , so any sources connected to TV can send audio out to AVR through optical out. Also it will work for Tv's in built apps. By this way its more convenient...

Or connecting HDMI Arc also will do the job/ assuming it will not touch the video part and send only the audio signal, else your HDR/dolby vision will be affected.

Basically we are trying to bypass the video processing from AVR/ hence it will not have affect on HDR/dolby vision.

Hope you got it.
Its not Xbox One x, its Xbox Series X. It does not have optical out.
But I got it, use TV optical out to AVR.

I am asking this question as the cost of new one is very high. One more question is will repair cost be too high if the second hand AVR gets repaired. Sorry, I am not able to find a genuine reply from anywhere in real world, so hoping to find answers in this MB
As long as you get the device from a known person it should be fine. i got my Denon from a gentleman on this forum and it was an excellent AVR . No issues in the past 4 years . how ever i had picked a tuner & a CD player from OLX which died in a few months. My recomendation stay away from olx :)

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back