Is it safe to use a DAC with Volume Control as a PRE AMP ?

SiR

FM's can share your thought on " Is it safe to use a DAC with Volume Control as a PRE AMP ? "

Well, I didn't have this doubt until I came across this particular one below :

I use the preamp of my dac and no matter what the volume before, it always resets to -30dB every time I turn it on. Doubt there will ever be such issues.

Recently i bought Adam audio t5v active studio monitor for my PC setup to replace defective 10 years old Creative spkr
Dac and preamp was required for t5v additionally.
Initially I was thinking of using DAC and preamp.
The music store where I purchased the speakers only had audio interface which also has built in A/D and D/A convertor and volume control also.
Eventually I settled with audio interface which sounded very good.(16.5k approx). Audient ID 4.
Each time I switch on the audient, volume is at minimum, which need to be cranked up .

Has anyone used studio monitor setup?.
Any suggestions for dac preamp?

FM's can share your thought on " Is it safe to use a DAC with Volume Control as a PRE AMP ? "

If you use an integrated amp or a preamp, set the DAC output to fixed volume mode.
If you use a Poweramp or active speakers, then you can safely use the in-built pre on your DAC. Some DACs have dedicated preamp section while some just attenuate the output.

ditto i used have the same kind of a set up earlier until i moved on to seperate pre dac & power setup.
I am actually looking for a good pre. Unfortunately whatever I have tried so far within reasonable money is worse than just powering from the dac direct.

My dac has a really good analog preamp inside and even has analog inputs for other devices.

Well there is no harm as such using a Dac as a pre. That is the current trend anyways. However, as said one needs to be careful as always before feeding the system with a signal.

I remember a friend managed to blow one of the tweeters in his vintage speaker when he missed noticing the integrated amp's volume turned to max.

MaSh

What you read is a QC issue, firmware or any other part of the dac. Have heard of such things from budget chifi before. I am told they never reject a unit or a module in a unit 😉. One of the ways of keeping costs down.

Else there is really nothing wrong in using the dac pre. Tons of dacs are used without issues.

If you are still worried put a passive 10k pot between the dac and power amp(if your device impedances allow for it.

What you read is a QC issue, firmware or any other part of the dac. Have heard of such things from budget chifi before. I am told they never reject a unit or a module in a unit 😉. One of the ways of keeping costs down.

Else there is really nothing wrong in using the dac pre. Tons of dacs are used without issues.

If you are still worried put a passive 10k pot between the dac and power amp(if your device impedances allow for it.
Being a Novice, don't know what is a 10k pot and how to use it

Will try to know what it is and will see how to use it, if needed

Thanks for the response

Being a Novice, don't know what is a 10k pot and how to use it

Will try to know what it is and will see how to use it, if needed

Thanks for the response
Its what people call a passive-pre. Do read up on it if u can.

are you considering any DAC and are you giving the input directly to a power amp ? if you have an integrated amp then its not really needed

Dacs can have Analogue or Digital VC and if Analogue it can be a simple Passive VC but more expensive ones can have a Active Pre section as well.
if Digital , you may see a loss in resolution at low volumes
If passive , its best but the gain of the amplification will need to be at least 27dB or above

If you use an integrated amp or a preamp, set the DAC output to fixed volume mode.
If you use a Poweramp or active speakers, then you can safely use the in-built pre on your DAC. Some DACs have dedicated preamp section while some just attenuate the output.
Hello, May i ask, What is actually "built in pre in a dac?" Is it just a volume control and we can call it preamplifier? what is the different to a standalone preamplifier then?

I have used the digital Volume Control from DAC to Power Amplifier previously, I found myself constantly worried about frying the Tweeters with accidentally going full volume & I was more worried with App based volume control. A just wrong touch on super sensitive touch screen and your costly speakers will need a service.

Few precautions
1. ALWAYS Switch the power amp last, only after confirmation of volume level on Preamp /DAC
2. Use volume limiter, fixed Start up volume option if available
3. Whenever possible use Analog volume control.
4. Use Power amp with speaker protection circuit, many in class D power amplifiers Have this, including Crown Xls and my current Peachtree Amp500.

I've shifted to powerful integrated amplifier in view of ease of use and avoid complications.

Be careful when you turn on the system. Hope your DAC-Pre remembers the last volume setting and doesn’t default to 0db when switched off and on.

As for SQ, a separate pre is usually the best. Next best is the pre in an integrated amp. Preamps that come bundled with DAC (in comparable price range) can be a compromise for budget/convenience sake.

Here’s an elaborate explanation and comparison between analog and digital amps. The general perception is that, analog amplification is more natural sounding and digital amplification more distortion-free. My own experience using the digital pre of the Cambridge CXN streamer-DAC and the analog pre in the Audiolab 8200A integrated amp is exactly the same. I stick to my 8200A’s analog pre as I don’t like the clinical sound from the digital pre, if robs the music of the emotion for me. If I were more into EDM, my choice might have been the opposite.

Last edited:
Hello, May i ask, What is actually "built in pre in a dac?" Is it just a volume control and we can call it preamplifier? what is the different to a standalone preamplifier then
Most DACs have digital volume control which throws outs bits. This is not ideal and an analog preamp should be used in this case.

However there are a few DACs that have real resistor ladder based analog volume control. These do not lose any information or dynamic range when attenuating volume directly from the DAC level. My DAC even has unbalanced analog inputs which it can control - this does away with a separate preamp altogether for an analog chain.

However there are a few DACs that have real resistor ladder based analog volume control. These do not lose any information or dynamic range when attenuating volume directly from the DAC level. My DAC even has unbalanced analog inputs which it can control - this does away with a separate preamp altogether for an analog chain.

Please share the details of the DAC you are talking about.

Thanks,
Miany

Please share the details of the DAC you are talking about.

Thanks,
Miany
My AMR has analog volume control and analog inputs too. There are optional modules in Holo Audio. The Playback Designs has analog volume control. I think even DCS offers volume control and the ability to drive power amps directly.

In my personal case, I tried a couple of preamps recently - a Pass XP12 and an Audio Research SP10. Both were totally outclassed by the inbuilt preamp - both for digital and also for analog. The only trouble is the preamp is just unity gain (2V on RCA, 4V on XLR) with tube buffering so if you need extra gain, you need to find it externally. With the phono I use, it is barely adequate and I have to run it at -6dB/-8dB levels when i want it a bit louder. With the power amps that have low sensitivity, it may not work as expected.

Recently i bought Adam audio t5v active studio monitor for my PC setup to replace defective 10 years old Creative spkr
Dac and preamp was required for t5v additionally.
Initially I was thinking of using DAC and preamp.
The music store where I purchased the speakers only had audio interface which also has built in A/D and D/A convertor and volume control also.
Eventually I settled with audio interface which sounded very good.(16.5k approx). Audient ID 4.
Each time I switch on the audient, volume is at minimum, which need to be cranked up .

Has anyone used studio monitor setup?.
Any suggestions for dac preamp?
I use a pair of Adam Audio T5V with an Audient EVO4 (one step below your ID4) in my home office.

You'll find it very hard (and will need to spend quite a bit of money) to beat the sound synergy you now have with the audio interface and speakers. To my ears the Adams sound better with the Audient than they do with the Matrix mini i Pro 3 DAC + Pre that I use in my main system (as DAC only in the main system).

A friend who has the same speakers and interface has tried quite a few really expensive DACs with them and ended up going back to the Audient EVO4 interface he's using. Your interface (the ID4) has an even better preamp section than mine does.

(All comparisons mentioned above were with balanced cables.)

Trust me, don't change the USB interface/Preamp.

EDIT: It looks like I responded to a really old post!

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back