Is it too early to go for HD DTH in INDIA??

diplomat

Dear Members,
It just came to my mind, why don't we discuss about whether its better to wait for things to settle down in HD DTH arena or plunge into that....
Companies are even struggling to provide 5.1 audio, unable to remove subtitle, no real HD movie channel like HBO and finally no uniformity on tariff and transparency.
What all you feel about that? Sincerely I feel, may be its too early to go for HD in DTH though most of us have LCD pr plasma capable of handling such format. We shall be happy with bluray or media player contents for watching HD rather than logging into such DTH with just one or two channels and rest as upscalled ones.
Kindly share your thought in this regard which will help persons like me to decide on migrating or retaining my BIGTV.

Until and unless you have specific need (like watching T20, world cup in HD) this is not the right time to go HD with just NG and Star Plus in HD. I would rather prefer waiting for actual good HD content made available, evaluate how each DTH operator is using them and then decide.

But given the current situation, it will take at l;east 1 more year :)

I have TATA Sky HD and Im extremely satisfied with what I have received so far. You have to know that most Indian material is still SD.
But watching Live sports in HD is breath-taking and worth every penny.

Why wait when you already have Discovery HD and NGC HD in addition to content based sports.

Someone had said SD to HD is like BW to color and I am in complete agreement with that. 720p or 1080i is by all standards a feast to the human eye.

I have TS HD and watch it on LG 42" plasma and the outcome is very very gratifying :yahoo: given my content preference and viewing time.

Go for it if you own an LCD or Plasma HD Ready or otherwise and especially at the rates a HD STB is offered now.

Cheers!

I agree with Deepchand. Its those 2 channels (NGC & DiscoHD) which make it worthwhile to upgrade the box. (not for Airtel subscribers tho hehe). Also the tipping factors are the HD sporting events and TS gives us Showcase movies in HD Since the price premium isn't that high (2500-2800) so the decision isn't one to lose sleep over. I would say that people with large screen TVs (40 inches and higher) and above) should take the plunge immediately. People with 32" and lower sizes, could possibly wait a bit, as the quality difference would be a little less apparent to them, unless they're like 3 ft away from the screen. I hear Star Movies HD is due soon, so that should be a nice icing to the HD cake.

Last edited:
thanks to you all for your kind views, me too tempted to have a feel of it though I have only 32 lcd hdready panel. Bit confused and waiting for views ....
regards

HD is HD, so 720p/1080i and 1080p wont look any different unless you're seeing it on a 60" or higher TV, so dont worry about the HD Ready part.

Dont go for HD DTH now.....wait for the market to mature and more channels come in.....most HD channels are just upscaled channels of no use........:cool:)

As of now there are a few channels transmit in HD. The conversion cost is not much. Most of the members here will be early adopters willing to try out new tech. I think this is the right time for many of us to go for HD dth. Maybe after stabilization of HD dth new content format like 3D or fully interactive dth may see the light of the day for which there will be early adopters. Of course it is all a matter of personal choice. I for one got the HD dth due to Fifa and have no regrets for the same.

One of the main reason I dont want to go is, to be locked down to one operator. I would be wary till I see HD Channels, pricing and packages so that I can decide on operator with multi room facility.

If you already have an SD connection, don't go for HD unless 60% of your television time goes into National Geographic or Discovery.

If you are looking for switching your present DTH operator, it's advisable to start HD with new operator since the cost difference isn't too high and the number of HD channels will grow with time.

One of the main reason I dont want to go is, to be locked down to one operator. I would be wary till I see HD Channels, pricing and packages so that I can decide on operator with multi room facility.

exactly, thats the point. we have no one to one comparison between service providers specific to HD as each of them is unique in no of channels, sound format, stb type and associated pricing. May be TATASKY is clear winner as on date, but leaving apart sports events which are of ON/OFF type, how long you can glue to only NGCHD and DiscoveryHD just because you have HD and paid for the technology.
It makes a point if someone claims that even normal SD looks better in HDDTH due to HDMI advantage. Your personal experiences and kind views from that angle of switching over to HD at this stage is worth appreciation here.

I don't see 2500/- for 1 yr free is a big amount to shell out and take that risk.

One more thing I would like to add is that the quality of normal channels are also better than normal SD boxes. I have a full HD 42" plasma. When I switched to HD box I could clearly see the PQ difference. I don't know the reason behind this though :)

I don't see 2500/- for 1 yr free is a big amount to shell out and take that risk.

One more thing I would like to add is that the quality of normal channels are also better than normal SD boxes. I have a full HD 42" plasma. When I switched to HD box I could clearly see the PQ difference. I don't know the reason behind this though :)

I completely agee with Arun here including the pricing part..Though my TV is only HD ready the PQ of even SD chennels are better now than the ordinary STB. But again weather to go for HD differs from induvidual to induvidual.If you are neither a nature lover nor a sports lover don't go for it now.Its a treat to watch sporting action in HD.Watching Chennai Super Kings becoming the Chammpions in SA was a delight to watch in High Definition.:D :yahoo:

cheers,
sri

If you are taking a new connection, I don't see the reason for you to buy a SD STB. Rather than that buy the HD STB. If at all HD does become good in a year or so, you have throw the SD STB and then take another HD STB.

If one gets DTH-HD for Rs.2600,then why not get HD STB?
I agree that HD ch are less,but technically HD-STB with HDMI can give better SD PQ as there will not be any analoge video conversion.

But HD DVR's should be more expensive and require a far larger HDD, as file sizes will be huge in comparision with SD. Has anyone found out whther the BigTV HD DVR can actually record the HD conntent and are there any limitations in terms of recording time

What about the sound quality. Is it still stereo with the HD channels or is it DD5.1. Do I have to connect the HDMI to the AVR or can I straight away connect it to the TV. With SD, my stb is not connected to the AVR, straight to the TV. I dont use the AVR and speakers with the TV.

What about the sound quality. Is it still stereo with the HD channels or is it DD5.1. Do I have to connect the HDMI to the AVR or can I straight away connect it to the TV. With SD, my stb is not connected to the AVR, straight to the TV. I dont use the AVR and speakers with the TV.
All the 'real' True HD channels so far have DD5.1 audio. The only doubt is about DD HD.

My vote is to go for HD now, as that will safe guard us from any sudden price jump which is going to happen for sure. Also it's on the news that operator will ultimately succumbed to Govt pressure and they all will allow us to select DTH operator with out changing any hardware. I think now Tata Sky HD is the Best service. Their packaging is also very good.

If we join now, there are chances that we may experience all the changes through the cycle and that itself is interesting. Is in't it?

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back