Is Onkyo Out of Business?

My first home theater system was
HTS-580. I picked it over demon HTIB due to better SW effect. That time Demon had smaller 6.5 SW and Onkyo passive 8 in.Demon mids were more clear. Overall Onkyo was VFM.
My uncle had the same receiver sold with the HTS-580 though he paired it with Pure Acoustics speakers and a Onkyo Sub woofer. The receiver is dead. The heat and high humidity caused all sorts of problems over the years and repair was not possible by Onkyo.
I owned the 1st 606 avr when it released here. Still I find the power amp qlty of my old Onkyo better than the Denon 3400 am using now. Onkyo is made for movies,esp the older gen models...
Interesting you say this. I had a TX-SR674 very recently and returned it to the audio dealer as I found a newer Denon 3312. There was no fault with the Onkyo. I just wanted something that could do arc and a little more modern digital audio support. In some ways, I now regret returning the Onkyo. I felt the amplifier section was superior to the newer (though still dated) Denon that I replaced it with.

From my limited experience with Onkyo, I feel the reason users don't like them is due to the flat frequency response, especially with music. This can be managed with the use of tone controls but with the ever increasing obsession that a receiver or amplifier should sound great with everything set Flat does not find favors with Onkyo.

Last edited:
Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back