Is there a way to reduce impedance of speakers?

anm

Maybe this thread belongs to speakers than amps. But I think it equally belongs here too.
Suppose my amp is rated for 4 or even 2 ohms, and power doubles if I half the impedance. Now to feed more powers to the speakers, is there a way to reduce the impedance seen by amp, so it pumps in more power into the speakers?
Has anyone tried this?

regards

Maybe this thread belongs to speakers than amps. But I think it equally belongs here too.
Suppose my amp is rated for 4 or even 2 ohms, and power doubles if I half the impedance. Now to feed more powers to the speakers, is there a way to reduce the impedance seen by amp, so it pumps in more power into the speakers?
Has anyone tried this?

regards

Yes, there are ways to do this, but this will not help you as with a lower impedance of the load, the amp is putting out more current/power for the same efficiency. So in effect you are driving the amp harder to get the same overall loudness.

cheers

theoretically, the best solution is to put a load matching transformer in between, but transformers working across the audio frequency tend to be a bit expensive - tend to be found on valve amps and electrostatic speakers

the power delivery of the amp will not become 2x- thats the theory anyway. You will end up drawing more current , and will cause the amp to distort even more!

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back