Is there any difference between Digital & Analog Audio Cable?

Hell All,

Digital Audio like (S/PDIF) Coaxial cable

And

Analog Audio like Stereo RCA cable to connect from the L/R (Stereo) Audio Red & White RCA Jacks.

After all Internally they are all copper conductors. Is there still any difference?

Can the Analog Audio Stereo (any one port out of L & Right channel) be used for Digital Audio In Co-axial port without having any distortion or loss?

Thanks.

S/PDIF = Sony/Philips Digital Interface Format
Two industry giants must have got it right 30-35 years ago.
The only other explanation is, we are all living in the Matrix.

No you cannot connect analog audio out to digital audio in.
If you do so, please let us know the results.

You can practically use the cable since the construction is same. Infact Industry standard uses RCA to carry S/PDIF signal with Orange colour connector to identify its S/PDIF .

However technically it should match impedance / specification for digital audio. Not all.

Last edited:
S/PDIF = Sony/Philips Digital Interface Format
Two industry giants must have got it right 30-35 years ago.
The only other explanation is, we are all living in the Matrix.

No you cannot connect analog audio out to digital audio in.
If you do so, please let us know the results.

My bad. I think I got the question wrong.
If you are referring to cable usage, yes any RCA should work fine for dig-dig connection.
Cheers,
Raghu

Last edited:
There is a huge difference between analog and digital audio cable and also
in transmission.each do there job seperately.

You cannot transmit analog audio through digital audio,so also reverse,but digital audio can be transmitted through analog with a DAC chip which does
the conversion so that our analog speakers can reproduce them.

sorry got your question now yes, you can do connect the spdif through RCA Coaxial cable there will be a seperate spdif female connector for that,quality should be definitely lesser then the spdif optical which is lossless,since its analog vs optical.

r/s.

Last edited:
There is a huge difference between analog and digital audio cable and also
in transmission.each do there job seperately.

You cannot transmit analog audio through digital audio,so also reverse,but digital audio can be transmitted through analog with a DAC chip which does
the conversion so that our analog speakers can reproduce them.

r/s.

His question was "whether we can use use RCA cable as a co-axial cable ?"
You are taking the questions in different direction :eek:hyeah:

Hell All,

And

Analog Audio like Stereo RCA cable to connect from the L/R (Stereo) Audio Red & White RCA Jacks.

After all Internally they are all copper conductors. Is there still any difference?

Can the Analog Audio Stereo (any one port out of L & Right channel) be used for Digital Audio In Co-axial port without having any distortion or loss?

Thanks.

Theoretically, you need a 75ohm for coaxial cable, while realistically, any cable will work.
I will have no qualms about using unless someone with a scope or equipment can tell me there is a difference that can be heard audibly.

I say don't be afraid, give that analog IC a try... you may like it.

http://www.bluejeanscable.com/articles/digitalanalog.htm

Last edited:
Yes the 75 Ohm is the spec to be used for the digital cable. As a DIY I have used old Video to TV cables (which are 75 ohm) and soldered RCA jacks on both ends to use as digital cable.

Unfortunately some manufacturers like Mx do not use the 75 Ohm spec at all on their digital cables. They talk of 24K gold plated connectors, OFC copper conductors etc etc. I was in SJP road looking for a good digital cable last weekend and came away dejected. There are some offerings on Amazon for 75 Ohm cables.
prices vary from 399 to 2K+

Good digital path does make a subtle difference. I have an optical German Oehlbach cable (their mid range) which I compared with my DIY cable (75 Ohm) and found the highs slightly better and more "airy" with the optical cable.

So I guess if the setup is capable of "resolving" the fine differences you can hear it.

RCA cable can be used for spdf ,but 75ohm cable is required for better digital transmission.

Hell All,

And

1. After all Internally they are all copper conductors. Is there still any difference?

2. Can the Analog Audio Stereo (any one port out of L & Right channel) be used for Digital Audio In Co-axial port without having any distortion or loss?

Thanks.

My 2 paisa:

1. In simple lay terms consider the cable as a highway and the signal being transmitted as either a 2 wheeler (Analog) and 4 wheeler (Digital). A Left/Right pair of RCA cables connected to Analog Left/Right ports can transmit a Single channel of Audio signal per cable, where as a single RCA cable connected to a Coaxial port can carry 5.1 channels of Audio signal. Digital signal also gives better quality due lesser losses over the same distance. Optical/Toslink ports have their own optical cable where 'Light Ray' is used to transmit signals. Difference between the two digital carriers and their pros and cons is a topic in itself, at times debated too.

2. There is no Left or Right when it comes to digital signal over RCA cable. Its a single port, termed Coaxial. Yes, any RCA cable can be used to connect two coaxial ports. Quality of signal depends on how much you are willing to pay. The Red/White cable available in the road side mobile shop will work, as well as a Belkin cable from a bigger store. What will differ is the quality of signal.

Regards,
MaSh

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back