• Hello and Welcome to HiFiVision.com - an online community for the home entertainment and tech enthusiasts!

If you would like to ask a question, participate in a discussion and view attachments please Register yourself.

It's class AB from Nelson Pass

Wharfedale EVO 4.1 4.2 Speakers

baswamin

Oh boy, I have not even finished F5 V2 and now this shows up. I dont think I have any space left at home.

longshanks

Nelson Pass has been designing class AB amplifiers for many years.

kroyin

Actually the most logical thing to build after the V2T will be a 40-50 Watt Aleph X
(OM & Sachin ,I know I'm evil :))
We can reuse the chassis Om can design the 4 fet PCB with same mounting specs as F5T :)

Well I have built and heard the F5 and Aleph J & like most NP followers me thinks AJ sounds better :)

Last edited:

omishra

Oh boy, I have not even finished F5 V2 and now this shows up. I dont think I have any space left at home.

I forgot to see bold - I am not building it now. If I take another amp job soon after F5T then I would be chased in woods.

anilva

Nelson Pass has been designing class AB amplifiers for many years.

Why do you say that? He has always built class A Amps which work in Class AB after certain levels of power. His biasing has been in Class A. This is his first pure Class AB amp.

Last edited:

longshanks

Why do you say that? He has always built class A Amps which work in Class AB after certain levels of power.

I always thought an amplifier which works in class AB when it goes beyond its class A power region is supposed to be class AB amplifier and not class A amplifier, i could be wrong.

AFAIK, pass product catalog has always had the X series which are Class AB,XA series which are Class A up to 4 ohms loads, and the new XS series which they say is an improvement over XA.

For example lets say an amplifier works in Class A say till 25 watts but its rated output is 75 watts @ 8 ohm, when this amp is connected to a speaker the power delivery is very dynamic depending upon the speaker efficiency,the music being played and Impedance drop.Considering this fact these Class A design which switches to Class AB wont work in Class A most of the times unless it is a true class A design like the ones made by gryphon and a few other manufacturer where the power doubles in Class A up to .5 ohms.

Again i am not an expert, in fact i know nothing much about how these amplifiers work but this is what i understand from certain people and by reading,if there is a different explanation then do let me know and i shall learn.