Jamo amp 693 with massive transformer

corElement

I've been going through specs of amps and I'm very impressed by the jamo 693's specs from 2006..I wanna know if anyone else has this and what they think of it.

Bah, still noone ? Thats SAD MAN. the specs on the 693 are so good!

hi corElement,

jamo = Bah!

i hope, with this single comment, to guide you away from mediocrity.

-watch "AMADEUS" otherwise

the west indians- they have masssive coconuts in their underpants - that does not make them better men when all is said and done!:)

Last edited:
hi corElement,

jamo = Bah!

i hope, with this single comment, to guide you away from mediocrity.

-watch "AMADEUS" otherwise

the west indians- they have masssive coconuts in their underpants - that does not make them better men when all is said and done!:)

Here's may take on it..

Yamaha - WAY too bright for me

Onkyo - all the recent models have build quality issues, DONT want something that sounds good thats gonna DIE on me in 2 years and the amount of hardware thats died on me from my bad power.. dont wanna take that risk..

Pioneer - way beyond my budget for their higher end ones, all their lower models are for htibs, someone opened up its transformer of 2009 and said it was tiny in comparison to past models.

Denon - only one in my range is

AVR-1610 NEW

A/V Surround Receiver

110 W X 5 channel (6 ohms)
Analog to HDMI up conversion (1080p)
Dolby Pro Logic IIz processing
3 X HDMI in/1 X HDMI out
Compressed audio restorer to enhance digital music files
Dolby true HD & HD master audio decoder
Audyssey Multi EQ auto set up & Room EQ
Auto Surround mode
Variable subwoofer crossover swtiching
Dimensions (WxHxD) 434 x 171 x 378 mm
Weight: 9.3kg

Price - 29k

but its 110x5 channels where as all this aside,
I'm getting a jamo 2006 avr693 for 25k which has

JAMO AVR693

120w all channels at 6ohm
Peak power (8 ?) 274 W/ch
Peak power (6 ?) 346 W/ch
Peak power (4 ?) 451 W/ch
THD (rated power) 0.08%
Damping factor (1kHz, 8 ?)60
Frequency response 10 Hz 100 kHz (+1dB/-3dB)
Individual channel frequency setup
Tone controls +/- 10 dB
Signal input sensivity 200 mV, 50 K ?
S/N Ratio 100 dB (IHF-A, 0.5V input)
Weight: 13.5kg

I cant afford to shy away fro mediocrity but the best you can do for me is maybe give me some input on what do you think of the specs. I dont want or need hdmi.

The amp also has manual speaker frequency settings. I know im getting a good deal on it at 25 because people have told me it used to go for 37+ at one point. The THD itself is under 1%, all pioneers I see at 1%, some of the marantz I was seeing at 25k were 10% thd.

Let me put it this way, I have 5k left in my bank if I get this, -1 if I get the denon :p Can you suggest me an alternative which has equal specs and comes reccomended by two storeowners :p Cuz that'd be really helpful to me. the 1610 is 9kg, the jamos 13kg in weight XD

What Video & Widescreen TV, UK gave it a 5 on 5

heres the amps fact sheet

http://www.salonaudiotarvike.com/pdf/Jamo_AVR-693.pdf

and pic

jamoampnq5.jpg

If the screen ever goes bad, im sure I can operate it without even using the screen and it uses a lot less of the facade to make it of any value.

Last edited:
a) it's pretty!

b) the specs don't even tell half the story.

c) from the looks of it no one on this forum has heard it or even heard of it, so therefore

d) listen to it yourself and tell us all how it is :)

and ya, what speakers are you going to use it with? What size is your room?

125 w/ch - all channels driven (if that's what the specs mean) sounds very impressive, but power is not all....do have a listen.....and all the best!

Onkyo - all the recent models have build quality issues, DONT want something that sounds good thats gonna DIE on me in 2 years and the amount of hardware thats died on me from my bad power.. dont wanna take that risk..
Hi,
what you have said don't you think is a bit misleading. First you are saying all the models have build quality issues and then you say you have bad power.If you have problem in your power supply line then anything will die let aside Onkyo. Onkyo, Denon , Marantz all are reputed brands and I don't think you have to worry about the build quality. Only try and match sound quality to your preference and that will do the job nicely.If you want to believe the words of sales people then forums like this are pointless.
Thanks.

a) it's pretty!

b) the specs don't even tell half the story.

c) from the looks of it no one on this forum has heard it or even heard of it, so therefore

d) listen to it yourself and tell us all how it is :)

and ya, what speakers are you going to use it with? What size is your room?

125 w/ch - all channels driven (if that's what the specs mean) sounds very impressive, but power is not all....do have a listen.....and all the best!

I've heard it at the store but not on the speakers I got and the rooms also diff so its pretty impossible to say how theyll sound on mine but theyre not bashful like yamahas and pioneer, I HATE those, they make me feel like im getting slaps on my face whenever I hear those.

I have the following speakers

Fronts : S 718 Floorstanding Speaker - Specs x2 to biwire

Rear : E 700 Bookshelf Speaker - Description

front : E 7CEN Center Speaker - Description

Room size is 20x14

Hi,
what you have said don't you think is a bit misleading. First you are saying all the models have build quality issues and then you say you have bad power.If you have problem in your power supply line then anything will die let aside Onkyo. Onkyo, Denon , Marantz all are reputed brands and I don't think you have to worry about the build quality. Only try and match sound quality to your preference and that will do the job nicely.If you want to believe the words of sales people then forums like this are pointless.
Thanks.

The build quality issue I learnt from this forum only..people complaining about 09 onks not being as good as before and yamahas not being as good as 08's either. No salesmen lol..

And yes youre right about the sound matching to preference. Sadly I wish i could listen to amps and compare them at home haha, best way to compare cuz the speakers at showrooms are diff..sadly not possible. But I suppose its easy to discern which is bright and which is warm.

I heard about 3 onks and what i realised from it was all of them sounded much better in movies than the denon. The h/k and onks were def better in movies and denon in music. yamaha is a total nono in my case, far too bright. :p

wouldn't the jamo store where you're getting this receiver have a pair of 718s to test them with? There's not much of a point discussing how good Jamo is and whether they can make good amps or not, since no one seems to have personal experience of their amps. But I can tell you that neither specs nor reputation are grounds on which you can make an amp purchase. Trust your ears and your ears only. Ask for a home audition. If need be, drive there with your 718s and listen to it.

If none of these are possible and specs are all you can go on, the specs do look good, 10,000 uF capacitors, massive torroidal transformer, 125 w per channel - all channels driven......but ya, try and listento them!

I've heard it at the store but not on the speakers I got and the rooms also diff so its pretty impossible to say how theyll sound on mine but theyre not bashful like yamahas and pioneer, I HATE those, they make me feel like im getting slaps on my face whenever I hear those.

I have the following speakers

Fronts : S 718 Floorstanding Speaker - Specs x2 to biwire

Rear : E 700 Bookshelf Speaker - Description

front : E 7CEN Center Speaker - Description

Room size is 20x14

wouldn't the jamo store where you're getting this receiver have a pair of 718s to test them with? There's not much of a point discussing how good Jamo is and whether they can make good amps or not, since no one seems to have personal experience of their amps. But I can tell you that neither specs nor reputation are grounds on which you can make an amp purchase. Trust your ears and your ears only. Ask for a home audition. If need be, drive there with your 718s and listen to it.

If none of these are possible and specs are all you can go on, the specs do look good, 10,000 uF capacitors, massive torroidal transformer, 125 w per channel - all channels driven......but ya, try and listento them!

Hmm, I wonder if the guy wouldnt mind coming down with a demo amp... GONNA CALL HIM TOMORROW AND ASK!

O
M
F
GEEEEEE

This amp blew my socks away today. Its simply perfect! Bought it for just 25k
off the jamo showroom in ghitorni which was closing down. After just some minor tweaking it hit the spot! The combination of sound I was expecting from the s718+e7cen+e700's just perfectly set into my ears. Playful right bass thats like a bouncing ball and well rounded mids from the e7 series and the preferred amount of lower mid and low frequencies from the s718. I dont know who said they boom, but theres near no boom, beautiful controlled tight low freqs.

I bought 1.5mm wire for the center and boy what a difference it makes.

Eitherways, I dont know if some of the elite members of this forum will like it but my initial understanding of all the speakers combination and some minor adjusting of the cross overs and biwiring turned out right!

Thank for all your insightful help hifivision. I'm proud that India has such a strong HDAV community!

gr8 to hear this!
is there any other deal available there?
Pls share the phone etc

regards

O
M
F
GEEEEEE

This amp blew my socks away today. Its simply perfect! Bought it for just 25k
off the jamo showroom in ghitorni which was closing down. After just some minor tweaking it hit the spot! The combination of sound I was expecting from the s718+e7cen+e700's just perfectly set into my ears. Playful right bass thats like a bouncing ball and well rounded mids from the e7 series and the preferred amount of lower mid and low frequencies from the s718. I dont know who said they boom, but theres near no boom, beautiful controlled tight low freqs.

I bought 1.5mm wire for the center and boy what a difference it makes.

Eitherways, I dont know if some of the elite members of this forum will like it but my initial understanding of all the speakers combination and some minor adjusting of the cross overs and biwiring turned out right!

Thank for all your insightful help hifivision. I'm proud that India has such a strong HDAV community!

G-spot? is there a G spot in ears as well?

hi jaudere,

the arnold's nerve - this is same reason that brahmins put the thread around their (one) ear before they evacuate their bowels!

yeah, so the male g-spot is ear-located and the female elsewhere

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back