Jbl 9.1. Is it worth buying?

Jatinder

Hello, is It worth spending money on Jbl 9.1 which is 5.1.4 or one should go for a dedicated 5.1? I heard a lot wireless connection drop issues about it and also poor vocal clarity/sound while watching movies।

You buy something like the JBL if you don't want the clutter and complications of dealing with an all separates set up. Its also down to space in your room, if it won't permit an all separates set up. Some of us rent homes, where we cannot drill the ceiling to mount speakers.

If the problems above don't apply to you, then you want to go with a proper AV receiver, speaker set up.

Funnily I actually have the 9.5.1. replaced a Receiver + speakers+ wires. In terms of Movies the 9.5.1 is very good since it has wireless speakers and Atmos sans the zillions of wires. but again i am not a serious HT person and just want it to give all the effects.

For music it is clearly out of its league.

Funnily I actually have the 9.5.1. replaced a Receiver + speakers+ wires. In terms of Movies the 9.5.1 is very good since it has wireless speakers and Atmos sans the zillions of wires. but again i am not a serious HT person and just want it to give all the effects.

For music it is clearly out of its league.
You mean 9.1, I guess

You buy something like the JBL if you don't want the clutter and complications of dealing with an all separates set up. Its also down to space in your room, if it won't permit an all separates set up. Some of us rent homes, where we cannot drill the ceiling to mount speakers.

If the problems above don't apply to you, then you want to go with a proper AV receiver, speaker set up.
I agree. You are right. But the only issue I had with 2 of the budget soundbars (Sony HT 3 and HT 700RF I had was they were not good while watching movies, poor vocals, cannot even adjust it. If you increase the volume it becomes uneasy for ears when there is any action sequence or anything of that sort. So I was just wondering if a premium soundbar takes care of that or not. I heard Bose700, that is awesome but it’s very expensive when bought together with Base700 module.

Hello, is It worth spending money on Jbl 9.1 which is 5.1.4 or one should go for a dedicated 5.1? I heard a lot wireless connection drop issues about it and also poor vocal clarity/sound while watching movies।
If u want a completely wireless 5.1 surround sound system, there are only 2 of them well known and in circulation in the world - Enclave Audio 5.1 and Platin Monaco 5.1. Enclave supports basic DTS and basic Dolby. Platin does not support DTS but supports Dolby encodes upto the higher resolution Atmos. Enclave doesnt have any retailer in India has to be imported however Platin has one in Chennai and bangalore. Each of these systems is between INR1-1.5L. i just mentioned them because the one thing you are doubting on JBL - the signal drop issues are non-existent in these two brands. They are extremely well known for the best wireless tech for this purpose

If you want something clutter free you can go for edifier s3000pro active bookshelves . These will give you excellent music capabilities and very good movies experience ( better then most of the so called dolby soundbars), but if you want a true immersive environment then wait for a while as sony is coming up with ht a9 ( 4.0.4) which is truly wireless ( except for power cords) and will provide a lot better immersive experience. It will be on a costly side though.

^ I agree the upcoming Sony model HT-A9 is going to be the new world leader in Wireless tech . however as u said, when we add the so called "optional " subwoofer which is compulsory by all reviewes, i dont expect its India price to be a single rupee less than 2L INR

For a 2.0 wireless nothing beats the Edifier s3000 pro at present

^ I agree the upcoming Sony model HT-A9 is going to be the new world leader in Wireless tech . however as u said, when we add the so called "optional " subwoofer which is compulsory by all reviewes, i dont expect its India price to be a single rupee less than 2L INR

For a 2.0 wireless nothing beats the Edifier s3000 pro at present
Yes. I heard about it. They are also coming up with HT A5000 which is a cheaper version of HT A7000. The price no doubt will be on a higher side considering their current price (in USD) shown on the Sony website.

Hi,

Welcome to HFV!

I am sure you will find yourself enriched with the vast experience and knowledge shared by our FMs (Forum Members) in various threads and topics. Do browse the threads which will have ready information for the queries / challenges you may have around Audio / Video equipment etc.

Happy Browsing and wishing you all the best!

But the only issue I had with 2 of the budget soundbars (Sony HT 3 and HT 700RF I had was they were not good while watching movies, poor vocals, cannot even adjust it.
That's probably the catch with anything that is a budget product. The JBL you're talking about is not budget in its category or even the sound. As far as sound bars go, its a top tier product which runs alongside a Klipsch sound bar. Its best you listen to it first before you put down your money.

I second that thought. I did listen to it at couple of stores yesterday Not quite impressed, a lot of boomy bass. No equaliser app to adjust individual channels. Next to the Jbl outlet it was Bose. Listened to Bose 700 with 700 Base module. Its a gem in terms of sound quality, vocal clarity and a punchy controlled base. The only downside, highly priced for a soundbar. I will either wait increase my budget and go for Bose or will go for a dedicated 5.1 in the same budget. Klipsch, Nakamichi I know they are good but not easy to find in India, not sure about their after sales service either. Thanks everyone for your guidance and responses.

Last edited:
Experienced Sonos Arc with sub and Sonos sl today. Not the worth hype. Needlessly to say expensive. Bose 700 with base module 700 sounds more neutral and better.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back