Jplay reported as audiophile scam

I like this from the FooBar developers themselves:
Does foobar2000 sound better than other players?

No. Most of sound quality differences people hear are placebo effect (at least with real music), as actual differences in produced sound data are below their noise floor (1 or 2 last bits in 16bit samples). foobar2000 has sound processing features such as software resampling or 24bit output on new high-end soundcards, but most of the other mainstream players are capable of doing the same by now.
However, when it comes to different sounds from different players, I sometimes think that I can clearly hear differences between the same player on different versions of my Ubuntu operating system. A difference I wouldn't even be looking for. Is it real? I can hear it, so it must be real, right? Ahh... reality is not that simple. :lol:

If one peice of software sounds markedly different on the same system, then surely it must be doing some DSP on the sound --- and if DSP is what a person wants they can, with many players, or with an addon, tweak their own. And why not? Transparent sound processing is supposed to be what we aspire to, but only last night I was feeling that a particular piece of rock music needed some added punch in the bass.

It is difficult to know what is hype and what is not. Latency is not hype: it is irrelevant. Reading music into RAM is almost certainly hype, just introducing another level of buffering into what the system is doing anyway. On the other hand, bypassing the sound-processing built in to some operating systems is almost certainly not hype.

By the way... I will not use use VLC for music playback: it is fundamentally broken. It will not do gapless playback. This is fine if one only listens to songs divided into discrete tracks with silent gaps; one will never notice, but it is far from fine when listening to continuous-experience music, whether it is a classical symphony or a rock concert. VLC dev's answer to this is, hey, not a problem. I guess they have very narrow, track-based taste in music! Maybe they only listen to Best-of albums ;)

VLC found its success in the day when trying to play stuff on the PC brought up Windows messages telling you that you couldn't, unless you spent money on this or that codec. VLC played everything, for free. Bottom line is it should work like a CD player does, and it doesn't, which to me, is one massive, pathetic fail!

(I don't use FooBar, etc, because I don't use Windows.)

Last edited:
I probably wrote that too casually but now that I think about it the soundcard, dac and opamps all affected my vlc and foobar. One opamp performed better with foobar the other performed better with vlc. And the distinction was very clear for me. Your setup most likely is performing better with non vlc softwares while mine is performing better with vlc. I know on mine when i was op amp rolling I noticed how noticibily the opamp change affected the sound quality from different softwares. Had forgotten about that till now.

No worries, I have VLC 2.02... now d/l 2.03 to check it out. I've not used VLC 2x for audio but I use it for my HTPC daily... tried 1x previously for audio and it sucked. Maybe it has improved.

I got it.
Am trying it.
Now, can you help me with some skins ?
What to use ?
Where to get it from ?
How to install it ?

So used to J River, that I forgot how to do all this.
Help shall be appreciated. :)

Well I have not added any skin as I like simple interface.I find DS,KS more detailed than wasapi.
This may help you-
Foobar2000 Skins - Customize.org

By the way... I will not use use VLC for music playback: it is fundamentally broken. It will not do gapless playback. This is fine if one only listens to songs divided into discrete tracks with silent gaps; one will never notice, but it is far from fine when listening to continuous-experience music, whether it is a classical symphony or a rock concert. VLC dev's answer to this is, hey, not a problem. I guess they have very narrow taste in music!

That's actually one of my preferences for using vlc :lol: I must like broken goods eh :eek:hyeah::eek:hyeah::lol:

Jplay is termed as scam in foobar addons page.
loaded to vista ,dint work with some dll entrypoint issues
i have scanned the system with tdsskiller and deleted the jplay service

Sounds like Foobar users are jealous!! :lol::lol::lol:

JPlay's trial version is stupid. Imagine introducing silence in tracks. Will have you clutching your hair wondering if your copy is bad. They could have simply given a time bound version, or something that plays 50 tracks. Silly guys.

Cheers

corElement said:
That's actually one of my preferences for using vlc I must like broken goods eh
Actually, I never even realised until I returned, after a long time, to listening to some Western Classical, where track numbers are used to refer to album notes, and some "tracks" can be just a few seconds long. Also the gaps might be a bit longer in Linux than in Windows.

It isn't alone among PC players in doing this. What's more, even my Cowon portable does it: for portable listening, I have to join all the tracks up. What a pain!

Actually, I never even realised until I returned, after a long time, to listening to some Western Classical, where track numbers are used to refer to album notes, and some "tracks" can be just a few seconds long. Also the gaps might be a bit longer in Linux than in Windows.

It isn't alone among PC players in doing this. What's more, even my Cowon portable does it: for portable listening, I have to join all the tracks up. What a pain!

The way jriver was blending in two tracks to transition between them drove me out of my mind! Because a lot of tracks I listen to HAVE to be played linear otherwise the music gets screwed up. But I tihnk on jriver it may be a setting, it may be a setting in vlc too. Never looked.

That is available on some players, even with variable fade-in/fade-out and a moveable crossover point. It is even suggested as a "patch" for lack of proper gapless play. I do not know if VLC has this function: it has a host of technical settings, but is not very rich on effects.

A couple of years ago, I struggled to find any gapless player for Linux, but I settled on Aqualung. Now, there are more Linux players that do do it.

I believe when playing using WASAPI Foobar or Jriver or any software for that matter which can make use of WASAPI or some kind of non mixed direct stream mode will sound the same.

I use foobar in windows and audirvana in mac.

Cannot believe that!!! Almost every media player I've tried (XMPlay, Foobar, Winamp, MusicBee, Songbird.... and lots more) sound way better than VLC and that's even out of the box and without any tweaking.

based on chain of audio used it may happen.

JPlay's trial version is stupid. Imagine introducing silence in tracks. Will have you clutching your hair wondering if your copy is bad. They could have simply given a time bound version, or something that plays 50 tracks. Silly guys.
venkatcr,

yes that is logical..
All guys :
see this foobar2000 troubleshooter

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back