Jplay reported as audiophile scam

kaushik

Jplay is termed as scam in foobar addons page.

loaded to vista ,dint work with some dll entrypoint issues
i have scanned the system with tdsskiller and deleted the jplay service

JPlay requires Win 7. Will not play on Vista or XP.

Straight from the JPLay website:

Requirements:
  • Windows 7 (or Vista) is required. XP is not supported as it does not support some of advanced features. We highly recommend Windows 8 64-bit
  • At least 2GB of RAM are required (>4GB are recommended for hi-rez playback)
  • Dual-core CPU (or higher) is recommended for best results.

Last edited:
nikhil, Kaushik has said that he has used it with Vista, which according to the excerpt you have posted should be supported.

nikhil, Kaushik has said that he has used it with Vista, which according to the excerpt you have posted should be supported.

Funny I didn't spot that. IMO it seems like Jplay really prefers Win7 or 8.

Strange.
I got J Play & installed it.
It did not suity my taste.

However, 3 audiophile friends of mine use it & love it.

I was a foo bar person but now use j river
Very happy with that.
Event Style @ 25 m/s through the rme card is good for me (my ears)....

I second Bhagwan. Jriver in event style mode is sounding very nice. I have moved for foobar to this and am very happy with the SQ.
Cheers,
Sid

What exactly is this difference in sound you guys are talking about between softwares? foobar and vlc sounded exactly the same to me, is this jriver based on some other software?

Sid, what equipment do you use to play ? Mac or Windows ?

@Cor...they all sound just a teeny weeny bit different if all settings are done well :)
A friend recently moved from Jriver to Jplay......he loves it.

i second Bhagwan and sidvee... foobar just plain failed in comparison with jriver in wasapi event style...

Sid, what equipment do you use to play ? Mac or Windows ?

@Cor...they all sound just a teeny weeny bit different if all settings are done well :)
A friend recently moved from Jriver to Jplay......he loves it.

I am using Windows 7. At-least to my ears Jriver seemed to have slightly better resolution (do not want to start a war on digital is digital etc. - but i know what I can hear).
Cheers,
Sid

Last edited:
Are you folks trying to run foobar with the wasapi plugin as well and still find jriver better? If so, I gotta try it.

I'm downloading jriver right now to see whats all the talk about :)
Sir,
It is a 1 sided game.
The J River is leagues ahead of Foobar.
the only issue is, that it is not free.
However, if you pay for it & can get it configured correctly, boy it plays well.
To my ears in my set up - there is no comparison.....
All said, the Computer should also play an active part & 100 % up to spec.
Else, the Foo & J River and or any other will all sound the same;;;

foobar and vlc sounded exactly the same to me

Cannot believe that!!! Almost every media player I've tried (XMPlay, Foobar, Winamp, MusicBee, Songbird.... and lots more) sound way better than VLC and that's even out of the box and without any tweaking.

Sir,
It is a 1 sided game.
The J River is leagues ahead of Foobar.
the only issue is, that it is not free.
However, if you pay for it & can get it configured correctly, boy it plays well.
To my ears in my set up - there is no comparison.....
All said, the Computer should also play an active part & 100 % up to spec.
Else, the Foo & J River and or any other will all sound the same;;;

If you can try Foobar with WASAPI, SoX Resampler, and Noise Sharpening and see how it compares with JRiver?

If you still feel JRiver is better then add Fidelizer to the mix. Audiophile level should be enough but you can go to the Extremist level if you want but it will stop system services (that's the same thing what Amarra and JPlay charge for). I believe Foobar + Fidelizer @free will better paid options.

Edit - You can also try Foobar RAM-Disk in place of Fidelizer. I found subtle but definite improvement with it.

Last edited:
Ok downloaded, installed trial version and set event style wasapi with 25ms.
I can notice a subtle 2% improvement in the dynamics of tones.
Can hear certain notes which I couldn't with foobar or vlc.

However there are a few things that don't appeal to me:

- Tracks don't start exactly from 0% <- probably a setting, how can I turn it off?
- When a track ends it fades into the other <- Again probably a setting I'd like to turn off
- Heavily skinned by default <- I just want the OS gui like vlc and wpc has.

Apart the above it definitely has a nice sound with wasap @ 25ms event mode. If one wants that 1-2% improvement in dynamics they should buy the software.

As for me I'll use it till trial ends and go back to vlc :) I use secret rabbit code to divert more cpu % to vlc. I found vlc post 2.0.0 far far superior to older vlc and better than default foobar.

Had a couple of friends over the other day who didn't believe me till they heard it and couldn't believe it themselves. This is my vlc without any skinning, default windows shell (the shell itself is modified at the core so the skinned effect you see actually uses lesser resources than the default windows 7 shell.)

iCJk1.jpg

Last edited:
Cannot believe that!!! Almost every media player I've tried (XMPlay, Foobar, Winamp, MusicBee, Songbird.... and lots more) sound way better than VLC and that's even out of the box and without any tweaking.

I probably wrote that too casually but now that I think about it the soundcard, dac and opamps all affected my vlc and foobar. One opamp performed better with foobar the other performed better with vlc. And the distinction was very clear for me. Your setup most likely is performing better with non vlc softwares while mine is performing better with vlc. I know on mine when i was op amp rolling I noticed how noticibily the opamp change affected the sound quality from different softwares. Had forgotten about that till now.

Last edited:
Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back