Just joined .. Introducing myself

Greetings Shylo. Welcome to this forum. Hope you have a great and informative stay here. Even I have the Denon PMA 1500ae. I think the phono stage is pretty impressive (I have only been able to compare it with a Kenwood 3500 whose phono stage sounded slightly warmer). It's very rich and detailed. Though I'm sure (from the responses of other FMs) a dedicated phono stage will improve the SQ.

Just a side note : I wanted to know about the input capacitance of the phono stage of the Denon amp (its not given in the manual). So after a lot of hunting around (none of the so called 'technicians' had any idea about the value), finally I met a guy at Pro-FX (Phoenix Mall, Bangalore) who confirmed that its value is 120 pF.

Hi,
Ortofon Om1o is a good cart.You can to try an outboard phonostage.It should improve the performance.I am totally biased towards DIY.You can build CNC MM Phonostage http://www.hifivision.com/phono-turntables/20115-batery-powered-diy-cnc-phono-stage.html There are few members in Banglore using this Phonostage.
OM30 and 40 styli are real good but your Phonostage should be good.

Regards,
Sachin

Thank you for your inputs .. Will keep the same in mind .. Cheers

Hi.. my view as below.

1. For your current setup just Upgrade the stylus to OM20. It will fit with your existing OM5E cartridge and replacing the stylus is simple task and no need any alignment if in case present alignment is good.
2. Your PMA 1500 amp inbuilt phono stage is decent one and you may not hear much difference by replacing any entry level external phono stage.
3. Consider higher Cartridge and external phono stage while upgrading the TT to RP6.

What you say makes a lot of sense ! Couple of questions (a) in your opinion do you believe that the two phono stages I have suggested are "entry level" ? I thought they were quite beyond that (b) are you suggesting I look at replacing the stock cartridge the RP6 comes with, as and when I decide to buy it ?

Cheers

Greetings Shylo. Welcome to this forum. Hope you have a great and informative stay here. Even I have the Denon PMA 1500ae. I think the phono stage is pretty impressive (I have only been able to compare it with a Kenwood 3500 whose phono stage sounded slightly warmer). It's very rich and detailed. Though I'm sure (from the responses of other FMs) a dedicated phono stage will improve the SQ.

Just a side note : I wanted to know about the input capacitance of the phono stage of the Denon amp (its not given in the manual). So after a lot of hunting around (none of the so called 'technicians' had any idea about the value), finally I met a guy at Pro-FX (Phoenix Mall, Bangalore) who confirmed that its value is 120 pF.

Great to know that you believe that this amp's phono stage is good. I haven't been able to compare it with that of any other amp of external phono stage. No proof, but, I still believe that a dedicated phono stage should improve the audio quality. By the way, which turntable do you use currently and what's the rest of stereo system made up of ?

Couple of questions (a) in your opinion do you believe that the two phono stages I have suggested are "entry level" ? I thought they were quite beyond that

I have heard the Lehmann Black Cube II SE in my setup and it is one hell of a phono stage. Note, this was the SE version.

For slightly lesser outlay, the Ray Samuels' Nighthawk F117 is another great phono stage. I heard this on a fellow forumer's setup long back.

It would be interesting to headbutt these two phono stages together.

I have never heard the Graham Slee.

Last edited:
What you say makes a lot of sense ! Couple of questions (a) in your opinion do you believe that the two phono stages I have suggested are "entry level" ? I thought they were quite beyond that (b) are you suggesting I look at replacing the stock cartridge the RP6 comes with, as and when I decide to buy it ?

Cheers

Phono stages which you suggested are really not entry level. I was used this word "entry level" just to compare your amp internal phono stage. On the otherhand your suggested Phono stages are upper side for PP1 / OM5E / OM20. Cartridge for RP6 is based your listening taste and choice.. Stock Exact 2 or Ortofon 2M Black are good option.

Last edited:
I have heard the Lehmann Black Cube II SE in my setup and it is one hell of a phono stage. Note, this was the SE version.

For slightly lesser outlay, the Ray Samuels' Nighthawk F117 is another great phono stage. I heard this on a fellow forumer's setup long back.

It would be interesting to headbutt these two phono stages together.

I have never heard the Graham Slee.

In that case I'll try and demo the Lehman, I know a place where I should be able to get one on loan. Will compare with my amp's in-built phono stage and let you know .. Cheers

Welcome to the forum Shylo! This is one of the most popular sub-forums. Proof is We actually have an Introduction forum but we don't get so many warm welcomes ;)
Hope to see a lot of you here.

Welcome to the forum Shylo! This is one of the most popular sub-forums. Proof is We actually have an Introduction forum but we don't get so many warm welcomes ;)
Hope to see a lot of you here.

Thank you Hildebrand .. I guess I started at the right place !! Look forward to many informative exchanges and digressions on the lighter side from time to time :eek:hyeah:

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back