Just joined .. Introducing myself

Shylo

Hello All

Pardon me, but despite browsing through the website I wasn't sure where it would be most appropriate for me to introduce myself. So, I decided to introduce myself here as I currently have a lot of queries to be answered on the Vinyl front

Briefly about myself
- I listen to various genres of music. Needless to say, I love good audio output
- My current system is made up of the following components --- Denon DCD 700AE (CD Player), Audiolab M-DAC, Denon PMA 1500AE (Integrated amplifier), Denon DNP 720AE (Network Player), Rega RP1 (Turntable with stock
cartridge & stylus) and a pair of KEF Q7 speakers

I grew up listening to a lot of vinyls thanks to my father, then there was a long break owed largely to the advent of cassettes first, then CD's. A couple of years back, I had a strong urge to re-discover the aural pleasures of Vinyl. That's when I picked up the Rega RP1. I won't say I am over the moon with what I hear, but, I am quite happy. That's where most of my questions will come from. More on that in subsequent posts

I must add that I experienced (and continue to) a tremendous lift in audio quality when I connected my current CD Player through my DAC to my amplifier. Excuse me, but, I cannot shed light on the improved sound quality in audiophile lingo (bright, muddy, etc) as I am a newbie to this world and am still understanding and discovering. I am sure with inputs & guidance from all the pundits out there, my understanding of the audio world will improve

Last, but not the least, I really look forward to connecting with those of you who are on this Forum and reside in Bangalore; whenever time permits

:cheers:

Hello All

Pardon me, but despite browsing through the website I wasn't sure where it would be most appropriate for me to introduce myself. So, I decided to introduce myself here as I currently have a lot of queries to be answered on the Vinyl front

Briefly about myself
- I listen to various genres of music. Needless to say, I love good audio output
- My current system is made up of the following components --- Denon DCD 700AE (CD Player), Audiolab M-DAC, Denon PMA 1500AE (Integrated amplifier), Denon DNP 720AE (Network Player), Rega RP1 (Turntable with stock
cartridge & stylus) and a pair of KEF Q7 speakers

I grew up listening to a lot of vinyls thanks to my father, then there was a long break owed largely to the advent of cassettes first, then CD's. A couple of years back, I had a strong urge to re-discover the aural pleasures of Vinyl. That's when I picked up the Rega RP1. I won't say I am over the moon with what I hear, but, I am quite happy. That's where most of my questions will come from. More on that in subsequent posts

I must add that I experienced (and continue to) a tremendous lift in audio quality when I connected my current CD Player through my DAC to my amplifier. Excuse me, but, I cannot shed light on the improved sound quality in audiophile lingo (bright, muddy, etc) as I am a newbie to this world and am still understanding and discovering. I am sure with inputs & guidance from all the pundits out there, my understanding of the audio world will improve

Last, but not the least, I really look forward to connecting with those of you who are on this Forum and reside in Bangalore; whenever time permits

:cheers:

welcome..onboard..
cheers
dheeraj

@Shylo... welcome to HFV mate.

That's an awesome setup you've got there.

Excuse me, but, I cannot shed light on the improved sound quality in audiophile lingo (bright, muddy, etc)
I don't even understand what does that mean actually (like worm, bright, muddy). All I know whether the sound is soothing to my ears or not. :)

Welcome to the Forum. We are all eager to help any new entrant . So bring out your queries without any hesitation .

Thank you once again to al those who have welcomed me onboard. I am a part of other audio forums, but, this is the first time I have received such a warm welcome from so many forum members. It must have something to do our "welcoming Indian culture"

Pardon the digression. I had a few queries with regard to my vinyl playback

Given that I have a Rega RP1 turntable with an Ortofon OM5E cartridge/stylus and play it through a Denon PMA 1500AE amplifier

If I want to significantly improve the audio quality without changing the turntable, where should I be putting my money ?
a] Better stylus ? If yes, then which one Ortofon OM20 or OM30 ? I am specifiying these two as they would fit directly into the existing cartridge (I have no idea how to change the cartridge and whom to go to make required adjustments .. I am assuming the changing the stylus is a simpler job, no idea as I have never done it before) Would the OM30 be an overkill given my existing turntable ?
b] Better phono stage ? Does any FM have any idea how good the in-built phono stage of my amp is ? Will going for an external phono stage help ? If yes, any suggestions ? What about the Graham Slee Gram Amp 2 SE or the Lehman Black Cube ? I have been suggested these two by some audio lovers
c] Should I distribute my money between the replacement stylus and the phono stage ?
d] Stick with current set up .. enjoy it for sometime (I have a OM10 stylus) and then possibly move on to a much better turntable like the Rega RP6 ? I'd like to believe that I have a decent amp and speakers (KEF Q7's), I think I need to focus on the stylus & phono stage

Excuse me for posting so many queries all at once, but, I have had these queries for quite some time and have been struggling to get conclusive answers to them (even from other forums). So, all inputs are welcome

Regards

Welcome to the forum. Do posts some pics if you get time of your gear. We all love to watch them...

I will try, but, my gear is in a wooden cabinet and it will be difficult to get good shots of the different units. Let' see .. don't get me wrong

Welcome to the Forum. We are all eager to help any new entrant . So bring out your queries without any hesitation .

Browsing through this forum I understand Mr. Kuruvilla you are clearly "one of the vinyl gurus .. if not THE authority on vinyls and vinyl playback"; I really look forward to your inputs and guidance. I have posted quite a few queries earlier today, do help me with answers entirely at your convenience

Regards

Thank you once again to al those who have welcomed me onboard. I am a part of other audio forums, but, this is the first time I have received such a warm welcome from so many forum members. It must have something to do our "welcoming Indian culture"

Pardon the digression. I had a few queries with regard to my vinyl playback

Given that I have a Rega RP1 turntable with an Ortofon OM5E cartridge/stylus and play it through a Denon PMA 1500AE amplifier

If I want to significantly improve the audio quality without changing the turntable, where should I be putting my money ?
a] Better stylus ? If yes, then which one Ortofon OM20 or OM30 ? I am specifiying these two as they would fit directly into the existing cartridge (I have no idea how to change the cartridge and whom to go to make required adjustments .. I am assuming the changing the stylus is a simpler job, no idea as I have never done it before) Would the OM30 be an overkill given my existing turntable ?
b] Better phono stage ? Does any FM have any idea how good the in-built phono stage of my amp is ? Will going for an external phono stage help ? If yes, any suggestions ? What about the Graham Slee Gram Amp 2 SE or the Lehman Black Cube ? I have been suggested these two by some audio lovers
c] Should I distribute my money between the replacement stylus and the phono stage ?
d] Stick with current set up .. enjoy it for sometime (I have a OM10 stylus) and then possibly move on to a much better turntable like the Rega RP6 ? I'd like to believe that I have a decent amp and speakers (KEF Q7's), I think I need to focus on the stylus & phono stage

Excuse me for posting so many queries all at once, but, I have had these queries for quite some time and have been struggling to get conclusive answers to them (even from other forums). So, all inputs are welcome

Regards
Hi,
Ortofon Om1o is a good cart.You can to try an outboard phonostage.It should improve the performance.I am totally biased towards DIY.You can build CNC MM Phonostage http://www.hifivision.com/phono-turntables/20115-batery-powered-diy-cnc-phono-stage.html There are few members in Banglore using this Phonostage.
OM30 and 40 styli are real good but your Phonostage should be good.

Regards,
Sachin

Regards

Hi.. my view as below.

1. For your current setup just Upgrade the stylus to OM20. It will fit with your existing OM5E cartridge and replacing the stylus is simple task and no need any alignment if in case present alignment is good.
2. Your PMA 1500 amp inbuilt phono stage is decent one and you may not hear much difference by replacing any entry level external phono stage.
3. Consider higher Cartridge and external phono stage while upgrading the TT to RP6.

Last edited:
Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back