Just upgraded from a shelter 501 to a Koetsu black

coolsat

Hi Folks,

I recently upgraded from a shelter 501 to a Koetsu black(rebuild from factory to save 25%). My listening interests are mostly blues, jazz and a lot of Indian music (I have lots of LPs from the 60s/70s). The rest of the system is fairly decent

1. Well tempered classic turntable with a JMW 12 tonearm

2. Zu Omen Mk2's and zu event cables

3. Ifi iphono black 3

4. Benchmark LH 4 preamp ( I swap sometimes with a fantasticVT-25 DHT preamp, custom built )

5 I also have 811 based monoblocks driving the Zu's again custom built

If I thought that the shelter 501 was good with vocals, the koetsu black is several notches better in all respects and even more so in the midrange. I cannot believe how the same vinyl sounds so much better (more details seem to be easily heard). Granted my shelter was old but this is really good. I have a month to evaluate the Koetsu black and in case I do not like it, I can exchange for something else. But so far the Koetsu has been outstanding. I cannot believe how it brings all the of the great Indian singers from the the past so alive and present as if they were right in front of you.

Also, I have heard the same records played back with Lyra Delos; the Koetsu definitely seems better to my ears. The dealer who I bought the Koetsu from was suggesting that I should upgrade my player to a Merril with a kuzma 4 pt tonearm --) way over what I can afford right now.

I will soon start playing all my blues, rock etc but I need to replay some of the first pressing Hindi Angels/Odeon's I have to just to enjoy the Koetsu sound!

Hi Folks,

I recently upgraded from a shelter 501 to a Koetsu black(rebuild from factory to save 25%). My listening interests are mostly blues, jazz and a lot of Indian music (I have lots of LPs from the 60s/70s). The rest of the system is fairly decent

3. Ifi iphono black 3

Congratulations ! any one of the Koetsu is something I look forward to have someday.

I have head that the ifi iphono 3 is a major change from iphono 2 and become much better, from an already good phono. Is that enough for the Koetsu or will it ask for more ?

Congratulations ! any one of the Koetsu is something I look forward to have someday.

I have head that the ifi iphono 3 is a major change from iphono 2 and become much better, from an already good phono. Is that enough for the Koetsu or will it ask for more ?
I think, more! ;)

Thanks guys! I have along the way used tube based phono-preamps(I had the Yamamoto CA-3 for the longest time); the iPhono 3 has really taken my vinyl system to another level. Where the iPhono 3 really shines is in how quiet the noise floor is. I'm loading at 100 Ohms (same as I did with the Shelter), gain of 72db, RIAA. I immediately noticed more sparkle and greater bass impact. There are enough reviews of it on the internet by people far more knowledgeable than me who are super impressed with it and I have friends who are using it with the Urushi (recording engineers). It is super hard to beat at that price range or even several times that!

I'll try and post pics and maybe a recording from my system soon. But this cartridge is sweet!

Hi Folks,

1. Well tempered classic turntable with a JMW 12 tonearm

2. Zu Omen Mk2's and zu event cables

3. Ifi iphono black 3

4. Benchmark LH 4 preamp ( I swap sometimes with a fantasticVT-25 DHT preamp, custom built )

5 I also have 811 based monoblocks driving the Zu's again custom built

If I thought that the shelter 501 was good with vocals, the koetsu black is several notches better in all respects and even more so in the midrange. I cannot believe how the same vinyl sounds so much better (more details seem to be easily heard). Granted my shelter was old but this is really good. I have a month to evaluate the Koetsu black and in case I do not like it, I can exchange for something else. But so far the Koetsu has been outstanding. I cannot believe how it brings all the of the great Indian singers from the the past so alive and present as if they were right in front of you.

Also, I have heard the same records played back with Lyra Delos; the Koetsu definitely seems better to my ears. The dealer who I bought the Koetsu from was suggesting that I should upgrade my player to a Merril with a kuzma 4 pt tonearm --) way over what I can afford right now.

I will soon start playing all my blues, rock etc but I need to replay some of the first pressing Hindi Angels/Odeon's I have to just to enjoy the Koetsu sound!
Awesomeness!!! I'm sure you must be stuck to your media room and one would actually have to wrench you out from there. I can completely relate to the state of aural nirvana you must be in , since i happen to have a Koetsu myself . Thought of late i have been plain lazy and have been listening to music over roon. reading your post has made me want to listen to records again. I now have a project i can look forward to over this weekend lol . Happy liistening :)
Cheers!
Anand

Here's a link to some clip I captured with my phone - it does not do justice fully but for those that enjoy old hindi music it will touch a chord. Will post some pics of other components soon and also some clips of Miles Davis, Patricia B, Diana Krall. This cart has lifted my music by orders of magnitude.

Gain settings - 72db, load 100 Ohms, RIAA/ERIAA,

Started listening to the Beatles in mono(2014) boxed set LPs and they sound fantastic. This cartridge is magic

I managed to get them for a reasonable price in 2014/2015. The price now is now insane for them if you can even get them!

Last edited:
A mono cartridge should not be used on stereo records. It will damage the record. A stereo or mono cartridge can be used in mono records though.

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back