Keeping components on standby / Using switches.

Shivam

I have been thinking of two options for connecting my sources to power -
All the source components connected to a power conditioner directly without any switches.
All the source components connected to a power conditioner with a switch for each of them.

In the first option with no switches, the components not being used will be on standby and connected to preamp where as in the second option the components not being used will be without power.

Will there be any difference in sound in these two options? Which of the two - 'extra components on standby' or 'having an extra switch in power supply' might degrade the sound more in your opinion?

I would get a good night's sleep with option 2, even if it gets proven that there is a slight improvement in SQ with option 1. Have come across tube amps and some solid state ones, with some manufacturers 'wanting' them to be on stand-by mode when not in use. In fact, most amps 'start' sounding their best after 30 minutes of play. But, personally, am willing to forego those 30 minutes keeping into account the true state of 'power' here, conditioner or no conditioner!

The first time I ever heard the advice not to leave equipment in stand-by mode it was because each of those devices might only consume a watt or two, but they add up. Going beyond the personal EB bill for one house, on a national/international scale, they add up to a very great deal of electricity wasted, which then becomes an environmental issue. I'm hardly an "activist" about such things (although I can't forget the poster with a picture of a switch, and the caption, When people talk about global warming, do you switch off?) but it is still worth at least a passing thought.

On the practical issue of preserving our valuable equipment, I agree entirely with ghatgepatil. I don't even keep the hifi plugged in when not in use.

It is not exactly to the topic, but here are some interesting comments from a veteran London hifi repairman about equipment being left on, on this page: London Sound: You've been Caught.

~

the bit about cassette deck motors is true. All my cassette deck motors run full time. One of them has a modified leaf switch which turns off the motor when not playing, but all the stock decks run with motors on the whole time.

The first time I ever heard the advice not to leave equipment in stand-by mode it was because each of those devices might only consume a watt or two, but they add up. Going beyond the personal EB bill for one house, on a national/international scale, they add up to a very great deal of electricity wasted, which then becomes an environmental issue. I'm hardly an "activist" about such things (although I can't forget the poster with a picture of a switch, and the caption, When people talk about global warming, do you switch off?) but it is still worth at least a passing thought.

On the practical issue of preserving our valuable equipment, I agree entirely with ghatgepatil. I don't even keep the hifi plugged in when not in use.

It is not exactly to the topic, but here are some interesting comments from a veteran London hifi repairman about equipment being left on, on this page: London Sound: You've been Caught.

~

Just being off topic, the US households does not have a switch at all (most of the houses I have been to at least), just the 2/3 pin plugs and you either on standby or switched on. If you do not want to use it and save the standby wattage you just need to remove the plug from the wall plug.

I keep my entire rig switched off right from the Power Conditioner.

Given the power shortage and other power related issues - really no justification to waste power. In any case, most amps need just a little warm up time to sound their best. I usually do some casual listening to get the system started.

I was talking of the sound quality and not the watts. :)

I have a switch at the power conditioner which I switch off when not in use. I need more sockets and so I am planning to go for a distribution box (by magma). If I plug in all the components in the distribution box directly, they all will be in standby and only one component will be playing. Will this cause any degradation in sound quality or increase in noise? On the other hand, I can request to have switches built into the distribution box. This will completely make the components not being used powerless but at the expense of a switch in the power line which usually has very poor contact inside.

What is your take on this ?

I was talking of the sound quality and not the watts. :)

I have a switch at the power conditioner which I switch off when not in use. I need more sockets and so I am planning to go for a distribution box (by magma). If I plug in all the components in the distribution box directly, they all will be in standby and only one component will be playing. Will this cause any degradation in sound quality or increase in noise? On the other hand, I can request to have switches built into the distribution box. This will completely make the components not being used powerless but at the expense of a switch in the power line which usually has very poor contact inside.

Having a switch for each socket will surely do have a negative impact (by how much is a different topic)

What you can do us not keep any switch for components you regularly have to use while listening

Say once a while you listen to your tuner or vinyl player then for that many sockets keep a switch which you can switch it on when needed

Or not keep any individual switch in the distribution box and use power switch in the components itself to on or off it provided it's at a convenient place. Some power amps have main power switch at back side which is hard to reach

Last edited:
Well, my take on fancy, expensive wire and distribution boxes (rather than decent, good-quality but ordinary ones) is likely to get me thrown out, because it is "heretical," but, leaving all that aside...
If I plug in all the components in the distribution box directly, they all will be in standby and only one component will be playing. Will this cause any degradation in sound quality or increase in noise?
I would have thought that this is possible ...but that, for it to happen, you would have to have faulty or very poorly-designed equipment, and I doubt very much that you do :D

Let's take a silly example to make the point: plugging in a cheap/nasty hair dryer, with no suppression circuitry, to anything even distantly connected with your audio equipment, or TV, is going to make some bad noise for sure!

In fact, such a thing might not even need to be connected: in my childhood, not all motor vehicles had proper suppression, and a passing car could cause snow on our TV screen.

But, I'd be surprised if any of us have hifi equiment that would cause interference to other hifi equipment --- although our engineers, like Kanwar, who know how stuff is designed, and what is wrong with many of the designs actually on the market, might disagree!

Well, my take on fancy, expensive wire and distribution boxes (rather than decent, good-quality but ordinary ones) is likely to get me thrown out, because it is "heretical," but, leaving all that aside...

:lol: That statement conveys a lot even without your not saying so.

It seems that having switches is a good option for these reasons -
I don't hear a difference on changing power-cables.
Since power cables don't make a difference, a small switch won't make a difference either to my ears.
Power saved is power earned (or was that a penny?)
Any noise induced by components on standby might be taken care of.

:lol: Sometimes it's best not to say too much :)

But... If a switch is of high quality, I can't see how it could possibly make a difference. What I mean is that it should make and break cleanly, preferably without any sparking, and that it should make with a very good contact. Purists might want switches (called 2-way, I think?) that break the neutral as well as the live. As far as I'm concerned, I think that anything that makes a person feel comfortable is a good thing, because I have no doubt that uncomfortability can be heard. So, as I (and others) have expressed on the power-cord threads, basic quality and physical integrity is always worth having, but crazy and pseudo-science specs go too far --- in fact that make me feel as much uncomfortability as rough, cheap dodgy-contact stuff would do even when it was working OK.

Years ago, I had a much more impressive number of boxes in the hi-fi stack: CDP, more than one cassette, mini-disc, tt, amp... Now I have just amp, CD, squeezebox and amp. The standby thing is probably not an issue for either interference or power consumption --- but I unplug it all when not in use, for electrical safety.

But... If a switch is of high quality, I can't see how it could possibly make a difference.

Thad, you are so non-audiophile-like. I was hoping there would be some who would be able to hear a difference among local ISI mark switches, Crabtree and an imported one :D

I am waiting for a discussion titled "which switch sounds the best" :cool:

Thad, you are so non-audiophile-like. I was hoping there would be some who would be able to hear a difference among local ISI mark switches, Crabtree and an imported one :D

get some new switches, new cables.. gulp a few drinks and the switch will add lot more tonality and soundstage to the music :)

well made and rust free switches which make good contact should do .. beyond that any luxurious uber expensive will make any diffrence i doubt. though someone might still claim the substantial diffrence made and how it changed his life :D

Thad, you are so non-audiophile-like...

It's a disgrace, isn't it? :eek:hyeah:

And yet, I am convinced of the power of psychology. Doing almost anything with one's system changes the sound, whether that could have been possible or not. Sometimes it gets worse, and one is plunged into an abyss of doubt, self-loathing and hatred, especially if that happens after spending money! :cool:

Bloody brilliant !:clapping::eek:hyeah:

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back