KEF IQ1 v/s MA bronze v/s PSB Alpha

vilfy

Hi,

I am looking to set up a bookshelf stereo system in my bedroom for music listening. Pl guide on:

1. KEF IQ1 v/s Monitor Audio bronze v/sPSB alpha - which one is better (i listen to hard rock music)
2. Where can i audition MA bronze in mumbai
3. Which amps drive KEF and MA better

Thanks for ur help in adv.
Vilfy

Hi,
Speakers are a very personal preference. I would prefer the Ma BR2 from the 3 above. MA can be heard at Boomerang @ Juhu,mumbai.
Most budget amps like the Nad 355,marantz PM7001 and the likes would be fine with them.If u are also looking for a cdp i would prefer a marantz over the others at this price point.
Regards

### Since u mention KEF IQ 1 i figure u are opting for standmounts and hence the above preference.If u can stretch RS 1 is better.

Last edited:
As Dinyaar has said, it is a personal preference. For me, it would be a choice between PSB and MA. I find the KEF iQ range rather dull and not engaging. The PSB Image B25 is rather transparent in its presentation - works especially well with rock. The MA BR2 is a bit on the warm side (very slightly) but it should not be compared to B25 -- instead, as Dinyaar has pointed out, the MA RS1 (Silver range) should be the alternative. If Bronze borders ever so slightly on the warm side then Silver is just a shade bright (not by much!) so audition with your amp is a must.

Another choice to consider is the Mordaunt-Short Mezzo series (not Avant!) - the Mezzo 2 in particular. Adds refinement to the Avant's exciting sound.

You have not mentioned what kind of music you would listen to on this system. Any reason you have not considered Wharfedale Evo2 and Quad 11/12s?

Hi Vilfy,

Ya do try the quads. Pretty good and more than comparable to the others u listed.
Regards

Try the Tannoy Mercury F2 with either Nad or Marantz electronics.

Regards
SNV

Agree with SNV , Tannoys are better then MA or KEF , not heard the PSB model though, Had a Tannoy Sensys very good speaker with neutral sound.

regards

You have not mentioned what kind of music you would listen to on this system. Any reason you have not considered Wharfedale Evo2 and Quad 11/12s?

i listen to hard rock music.

i havve auditioned wharfdale diamond (9.1 and 9.2) with nad 325bee and i didn't quite liked the sound. quad i guess will be out of my budget which is 20k for pair of bookshelf speakers (pl correct me if i am wrong). where are they available in mumbai anyways?

where wud tannoys be available in mumbai?

also has anybody heard of paradigm speakers?

Mordaunt Short 902i or Monitor Audio BR1/2.

Tannoy are good speakers but anything other than the Mercury will be out of budget and also not sure about their suitability to Hard Rock. Paradigm would cost more as well, so will Klipsch and B&W. Options are plenty but

To tell you the truth you are being limited by the budget. I guess you should wait for a while and come back after a while after bumping up the budget. Or in the meantime, consider an Indian brand. Contemporary to popular belief, high-end Indian brands deliver better than similarly priced international brands.

i havve auditioned wharfdale diamond (9.1 and 9.2) with nad 325bee and i didn't quite liked the sound. quad i guess will be out of my budget which is 20k for pair of bookshelf speakers (pl correct me if i am wrong). where are they available in mumbai anyways?

Well, the Diamonds are Wharfedale's entry-level line of speakers (not counting their DJ and other series). They are pretty good at their price level but I was referring to the Evo2 series which is quite an improvement over these. As for the Quads, if you hurry you may be able to pick up old stock from the original L line as it is replaced by the new L2. You can contact Designer Audio in Mumbai (Designeraudio - Homepage) for the same.

If you listen to hard rock I assume you will be getting a sub?

Ranjeetrain is bang on: In your budget the MA BR2 or MS 902i are the best options. I suggest you stick to Marantz PM 4001 amp and a Marantz CD player. The MA can be heard at Nova Audio (off carter Rd) - Mr S Anand - 26007700
Ciao

Ranjeetrain is bang on: In your budget the MA BR2 or MS 902i are the best options.
Agreed (disclaimer: MS owner myself! :)) but I would modify the selection to MA BR2 or MS 914i (both around 20k). The 914i is a floor stander with 6-inch drivers while the 902i is a modest bookshelf (but a steal at just 9k!). You can get the MS through Fx Entertainment

Hi,

I am agree with SNV Tannoy Mercury F2 is very best bookshelf speakers comare to MA B2/ or KEF.

I have this speakers and this speaker is produce very hi end sound.

If u purchase this speakers u should not disapointent.

GO FOR TANNOY MERCURY F2 and very good VFM.

I was quoted 21K for 11L, 26K for 11L2, 30K for 12L and 37K for 12L2. If I am not mistaken, the L series is not discontinued. Both series co-exist.

When I dropped in at Designer Audio yesterday, I was informed that L series stock is nearly finished and to be replaced entirely by L2. However they have a few speakers from the old lines (an 11L put up for sale by a customer and an old Evo) that they would like to sell off at a pretty low price. So this would be a good time to pick one up for those in Mumbai.

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back