KEF Q950 vs SVS Prime Towers vs Q Acoustics 3050is vs Wharfedale Diamonds vs Klipsch RP-280F vs Polk S60

srinivas1015

Seeing how all of these are at the same price point, it's getting tough to pick one. What would you say are the differences between these and which would you recommend?

I need them for two fronts in a home theater setup. Surrounds and Rears are Polk Tsi300 towers.

Most of the use will be movies with some occasional music. I plan on using the towers in stereo in full range mode for songs.

How are you referring RP280F is falls on same price bracket?
In India it is not possible for the same pricing.Check the pricing for pair of speaker.
I did not checked the other models.
RP 280f and most of the Klipsch speakers are High sensistive and bright speakers imho.

Seeing how all of these are at the same price point, it's getting tough to pick one. What would you say are the differences between these and which would you recommend?

I need them for two fronts in a home theater setup. Surrounds and Rears are Polk Tsi300 towers.

Most of the use will be movies with some occasional music. I plan on using the towers in stereo in full range mode for songs.

Hi

Based on your location in India, you need to visit dealers and hear for yourself how these speakers would sound. Your signature indicates you will be using the Marantz SR6011 (unless you are looking to power the front speakers with a separate power amp if the need arises). Most brands of speakers blend well with the Marantz...some speakers may be punchy else bright else warm etc.....besides personal hearing of specific music preference, placement of these speakers, built quality, the ability to deliver maximum frequencies between 20hz to 20khz spectrum etc including size of drivers & type matter.....

Carry your favourite movie scene and music with you....go and audition and decide what suits your expectations in terms of budget, appearance, performance etc.

If i were to look at specific brands of speakers as fronts from your list....would audition KEFs, Klipsch, SVS and even look at Polk RTiA series, Jamo C series, Definitive Technology, Monitor Audio, Tannoys also.....remember sometimes even a basic model or mid segment model of a normal brand can potentially sound much better to you than what is listed....

All the best...choose wisely......ensure the towers have high sensitivity (88db or more). Impedance does not really matter nowadays since all AVRs are capable of adjusting the same during setup....as for music professionally (in the past as a DJ) my thumb rule is to always hook up 8 ohms speakers which really make a difference in performance when compared to 4 or 6 ohms...this is my opinion with experience over the past 2 decades....

I am using SVS Prime towers as rear surrounds, and was using them temp as Front speakers. For a HT, their performance is exemplary. They go pretty low for a Floorstander and come out quite cleanly too. Only two things to be concerned about, they need good power to shine and need atleast a 0.75 - 1 Metre space behind them. They do sound reasonably ok for Music too!

I have auditioned KEF Q900 with Marantz SR6011 and Whardale Diamond 230/240 with Marantz SR5010. To me KEF sounds better than WD 230/240. KEF have bigger sound stage with strong center image which really shines in music . They also have very good low end extension with chrisp and clean high frequency response. WD 230/240 little monotonous and I can't really enjoy the music. WD 240 is 4 ohms with 89db sensitivity. WD 240 sounds little better than WD 230 with better bass and mid-range response. Both KEF and WD240 are heavy and huge speakers and needs lots of space to accommodate. WD 240 is down ported so they are little placement friendly. Have not audition SVS prime tower, Q Acoustics,Klispch and Polk S series so can't comment. In similar range about 100k few other options like...
Monitor Audio Bronze 6...
Audition with Marantz SR6011/12. Top in my upgradation list. Absolutely fantastic speakers to own with good bass extension and great extended high frequency response. Have strong center image with plenty of micro details. You will listen at least 10-15 % more music ( my experience). Some find then bright and brittle on high volume. With Marantz and MA will make great combo.
Paradigm Monitor 9...
Audition with Anthem MRX520.
Don't go by speaker size or driver size. They can dig more low end then similarly size speakers or driver. ( MA Bronze 5/Dali Zenser 5) High frequencies are chrisp and clear with lots of energy. Again some find they bright, aggressive . Very slim and slender body and requires less space . Paradigm has come with new series which will replace monitor series are SE series and Premier series so you may find better deal on Monitor series 9/11.

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back